Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to do a idle relearn on my car however getting to the back of the battery to disconnect is very tight and don't have the tools available now to get to it. Is the battery on a tray? Basically any tips or is this the only way? Ty for the responses

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You can try this idle relearn procedure.
Follow these steps to complete an Idle Relearn:
With vehicle at a complete stop, set the parking brake.
Put gearshift in "P" (Park), turn off all accessories.
Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.
Allow engine to idle for at least one minute.
Turn the air conditioning on and allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
Release the parking break. With your foot on the brake pedal and the A/C still on, put the vehicle in "D" (Drive) and allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
Drive the vehicle to complete the relearning process. Just make sure you drive easy for the first 30 miles, so the PCM can re-learn and adapt to your driving style.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ty vert! gonna try your steps later on today.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Related question from a new owner.....When jumping a dead battery where do people clamp the negative jumper cable to? Is there a good chassis point somewhere? Sure seems it would be difficult to stick the clamp under the cowl and on the battery terminal if I have to jump the car....

·
Registered
871 Posts
Related question from a new owner.....When jumping a dead battery where do people clamp the negative jumper cable to? Is there a good chassis point somewhere? Sure seems it would be difficult to stick the clamp under the cowl and on the battery terminal if I have to jump the car....
I use the negative terminal ground on the strut tower.

You want to always use a chassis ground so that the BCM registers the charge.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
#5 - While I still bemoan the battery location under the cowl since it makes it very difficult to check fluid level (not required as much as the old days), at least Ford was kind enough to add a strap from the negative terminal to a location we can access as Arthur mentioned. I noticed our daughter's 2016 Focus has a similar strap like the Fusion does.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use the negative terminal ground on the strut tower.

You want to always use a chassis ground so that the BCM registers the charge.

I believe the OEM battery is sealed and not serviceable.

Thanks as you can guess I havent looked at the engine bay for more than a quick glance so far. A strap on the strut tower is good to know about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts