Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like there's a wide range of battery options we have with this car. While none of us *should* need a battery yet (due to the car being only 2-3 years old), the ACM issue draining batteries/ruining cells in the process, in addition to some replacement batteries coming with bad cells to begin with leave much to be desired.

All websites I've looked into say our battery OE size group is H7 (or 94R). If this is correct, below are some "higher end" options I have researched and found:

AutoCraft Platinum AGM: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...ttery-group-size-h7-850-cca-h7-agm/10210826-P

Walmart EverStart Maxx: https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery-Group-H7/49988414

Duralast Platinum AGM: https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...duralast-platinum-battery/319458_276956_25697

Duracell Platinum AGM: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/auto-grp-94r-h7-agm-36-mo-free/prod9510086.ip

Interstate: https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mtp-94r/h7 (Costco should have these)

DieHard batteries: Would probably recommend against in case Sears fully goes under. Then again, Sears would probably sell their DieHard brand before that happens.

As for "best of the best" I would consider Optima REDTOP and YELLOWTOP batteries. I would recommend these if you have extra equipment hooked up, sound systems, DVD players built in, etc... Otherwise they're just overkill. Not sure what size would fit our vehicle though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Optima batteries aren't what they used to be.

Another great option is xs d4700. Fits right in the sport battery tray and hold down.

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
Just curious but why not run the Motorcraft BXT-90T5-590 battery? I run a set of Motorcraft batteries in my 250 7.3L diesel and have gotten excellent service out of them and the warranty is just as good as any. Tested Tough MAX - 100-month Limited Warranty, 36-month free replacement and is supported nationwide by Ford and Lincoln dealers and Ford Authorized Distributors (See seller for limited warranty details).Plus they are less than the "High End" options.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Optima batteries aren't what they used to be.

Another great option is xs d4700. Fits right in the sport battery tray and hold down.

Ahh... Yeah it doesn't look like any of those optima batteries really fit anywho...

Just curious but why not run the Motorcraft BXT-90T5-590 battery? I run a set of Motorcraft batteries in my 250 7.3L diesel and have gotten excellent service out of them and the warranty is just as good as any. Tested Tough MAX - 100-month Limited Warranty, 36-month free replacement and is supported nationwide by Ford and Lincoln dealers and Ford Authorized Distributors (See seller for limited warranty details).Plus they are less than the "High End" options.

Oh wow. Is that a higher rated battery then the stock battery? Interesting

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
Oh wow. Is that a higher rated battery then the stock battery? Interesting

No those are the actual Motorcraft batteries for our car. My point was I have run Motorcraft batteries in my 2002 F250 diesel and they have been great!

Reactions: bigblueshock

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'd try to fit a Group 65 battery. If you look at the battery tray, they used an adapter to fit the smaller stock size battery. It almost looks like the tray is the same one they use in the Taurus, which takes a full Group 65 battery. I've never experimented with this, but it's probably the only thing I'd try. The AGM batteries are only good if you intend to run the car in desert environments with 120F+ ambient all the time. Otherwise they don't really last that much longer than standard flooded batteries. Group 65 has a much larger capacity than whatever battery size Ford picked for the Fusion.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Anyone find the right size?

The stock battery part # is BXT-90T5-590 which sounds like a BCI Group 90. My dealer swapped out the factory dead battery with a new Motorcraft, 590 CCA, 3-year free replacement / 100-month pro-rated. So this is like the DieHard / Autocraft "Gold" batteries in terms of replacement warranty.

I did a search in the Tasca catalog and there is a Group 48 / H6 battery that isn't available for sale, but is possibly OEM-equipped on vehicles with start-stop capability. If you do a search for BCI Group 48, it is about the same width, but longer and slightly taller. The stock battery tray seems like it would actually fit the Group 48, which has much more reserve capacity and cranking amps.

Optima makes a yellowtop H6 which is grossly overpriced, but everyone sells an AGM equivalent to the Group 48 / 90 batteries these days at nearly $200 a pop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried a Grp65 battery, a brute for sure. Their book said it would "work", which it would do, just not fit. Lugs in bottom edge of the battery, intended to slide under matching lugs in the tray, will not slide into place due to mismatch of angles. Looks to me like one could dismount the tray and match them up, but one would have to engineer a way to secure the assembly in the car. This is like, a 60 lb battery, and the tray appears to be securely mounted. Another complication is the wire loom passing directly across in front of the tray, requiring some modification from my view. I can't deny that big battery would look great in that tray! I have no doubt that it would solve the "no start" BS I've dealt with, and after one visit for steering bolt recall and 1st oil change, and a call to "service advisor" that was not helpful, I have some doubts about my local "Blue Oval boys".

Glenn

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Thanks for trying to fit the 65. I think the biggest battery that would fit in our tray would be H6 / Group 48. I believe the hybrid models get an AGM battery from Ford.
The other Fords I've owned have always taken a Group 65: Crown Vic, E-250, Explorer, Taurus, etc...

·
Registered
848 Posts
Is there a smaller/lighter factory battery for the Fusion? Maybe that came with the 1.6l?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
FYI - The group H7 battery will not fit if you have a Steeda CAI. The battery is too long and interferes with the intake.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2019 FFS came with a Group 90 (aka T5) battery which is 2-11/16" shorter than the 94R (H7). Moreover the 94R are 3/4" taller and would have a hard time going under the hood cowling. I would be interested in hearing if anyone managed to squeeze one in.

That being said, it It does appear that you could use easily use a group 91 (T6) battery (1-5/16" longer all other dimensions the same) since there already exists another screw hole for securing that size in the stock battery tray.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The original factory Group 90 / T5 in my Cobalt SS Turbo exploded last month (12 years old), so I went and bought a new Advance Auto DieHard Gold. WOW these are super expensive now at $170 and only 3-year warranties. There's no more 100-month prorated. It exploded and split apart, dumping all the acid in my trunk (trunk mounted factory location). I could see inside the plates and everything.

Interesting how the Fusion uses the same size battery. The lowest price I found is at Costco for their Interstate batteries.

·
Registered
130 Posts
@metroplex Never buy a battery from Advanced Auto Parts in the store. Always go online and buy it as there is almost always coupons and codes for batteries. Then just pick it up at the store.

Reactions: ArthurUSCG

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Protip: "RMN25" at Advance.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
@metroplex Never buy a battery from Advanced Auto Parts in the store. Always go online and buy it as there is almost always coupons and codes for batteries. Then just pick it up at the store.
View attachment 27285
Yes I'm aware, I've been doing that for over 10 years. The problem is Advance Auto recently changed their policy and no longer accept the 25% or greater coupons for batteries. It's only 10% off now and the batteries are super expensive. Costco's Interstates are significantly lower in price. All made by Johnson Controls and have the same warranty (3-year).

·
Registered
335 Posts
I agree that batteries in almost all Automotive stores are really expensive. As Metroplex pointed out in a previous post, there are only a couple of battery producing entities that make the batteries with just different labels on them. I have been purchasing my car batteries from Walmart under the Everstart label. The price has always been very competitive against the automotive chain stores. I have been doing this for about 20 years and have never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Costco has the best prices by far for new batteries. About $99.99 for the Group 90 / T5's for our Fusion Sports as well as the Group 65 if you have an Explorer/Taurus/E-series/F-series/Crown Vic/bunch of other vehicles. The problem is if your Costco tire center is small, they may not have the battery in stock. I had to go to 3 different Costco Tire centers in the SE MI area to get enough batteries for our Fusion Sports. Even Group 65 was hard to find at the smaller Costco, but one larger Costco was overflowing with Group 65 and Group 34 but only had a single Group 90. While Advance Auto, Autozone, and Wal-Mart are definitely more convenient (order and pick up or large inventory), the Costco Interstate prices are more inline with what batteries used to cost over 20 years ago.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a Cosco membership for a couple of years, but in the end just got rid of it as the closest one is 15-20 mins away and the shopping experience was never pleasant. I also firmly believe that the reason Costco meat is somewhat cheaper than other stores was that they bought meet that was almost expired that no one else would buy. Any meat I would buy from them would go bad in just a few days. That and I just can't stand the free samples tables blocking up the isles. Just not an experience I enjoyed, especially since I had to pay them for that experience. /Cosco rant off

1 - 20 of 21 Posts