Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport | Grey
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took our '17 FFS out for its first Auto-X event this past weekend. It was only my second event ever, and I'd only ever done autox in our Fiesta ST. I have to say, I'm impressed! We all know the Fusion's no lightweight, but it stayed planted, reacted well, and the transmission wasn't as cumbersome as I expected it to be.

My husband recently bought a '21 Sonata N-Line that we took out as well. It's about as close of a race as you can hope for. Being a lighter car with a much better, DSG 8-speed transmission, I expected it to mop the floor with the FFS. Turns out, the FFS inched ahead by just over a tenth of a second! My husband's got way more track experience than I do, and we both were running our cars for the first time.

Best time: Raw 47.828s (vs 47.998s in the Sonata N-Line), PAX 37.975 vs 38.110
Placed 4th out of 28 in our novice class, 40th out of 82 overall (vs 42nd in the Sonata N-Line)
For context, the 1st and 3rd places in the novice group went to more experienced Fiesta ST drivers, and 2nd went to a heavily modified Integra. Trailing behind were a VW GTI, Focus ST, BMW Z4M, and Mini Cooper S. Not too shabby for 2 "sporty" mid-size sedans/"sporty" dad cars!

Pics and video:

Mods:
Livernois 93 Performance Tune
EVC Throttle Controller (set to U1)
Vogtland Lowering Springs
Steeda rear sway bar
Steeda strut tower brace
Steeda throttle body spacer
Boomba Racing BOV
Focus ST Snowflake 18" wheels
BFG G-Force Comp2 A/S 255/45/18
Lincoln MKZ cluster swap
SpoilerKing front lip and rear spoiler

I will say, the Sonata N-Line did look damn good going around the track.

Results:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
@RangerDanger19 That looks like SO much fun!!! One question though, since I've never been: How do you know where to drive? I mean, in the spur of the moment you have to make decisions about which way to steer, and in the video it's not always clear to me exactly where you should be driving since it doesn't look like things are always marked really clearly. How do you know where to steer?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@RangerDanger19 That looks like SO much fun!!! One question though, since I've never been: How do you know where to drive? I mean, in the spur of the moment you have to make decisions about which way to steer, and in the video it's not always clear to me exactly where you should be driving since it doesn't look like things are always marked really clearly. How do you know where to steer?
So glad you asked! It's actually not bad at all. If you look closely, the cones actually point you in the right direction. Plus, you start the day with multiple course walks, a ride along in an experienced driver's car, and can ask to have an instructor with you on as many runs as you want. It's entirely possible, and easy, to get lost on the course. Happened to me on my first run, and happened to several other experienced drivers. It's all in good fun, and after 1-2 runs, you get the hang of it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This sounds like a fun day at the track I so wanna try this
You definitely should! There are so many local car groups that host autocross and rallycross events. The event itself only cost us $40/driver. I recommend making sure you've got fresh brakes and good tires before coming out. Those two factors are most important on AutoX courses. As you get a feel for your car, you can opt for suspension upgrades, sway bars, etc to help boost your handling a bit.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yea the FS is pretty fun a autocross. If it's your first time out, as long as your brake pads aren't due for a replacement, you will be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looked like a great time! Thanks for the detailed post. I was looking at the regular Sonata before I found the fusion, did the N-Line have any mods on for this run?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts