Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first post here, playing with the intake system (I'm a certified A&P mechanic, so I'm not a car expert by any means but I know my way around motors and most vehicles enough to get around.) and I came across a small (2x4") carbon looking filter, resonator, or air deflector of some sort. Does anyone have any clue what this is?

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
My 07 Grand Prix has one of those in the airbox as well. I'm guessing it is for if moisture possibly gets that far into the intake system

·
Registered
64 Posts
Moisture isnt a problem for an engine.
You're right I looked it up and found it is
"A carbon filter, which adsorbs the HC that accumulates in the intake system when the engine is stopped, is used in the air cleaner case in order to reduce evaporative emissions. This filter is maintenance-free."

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Tell that to the bent rod in engine of the cruiser I drove into a flooded section of road...

Reactions: Ginger Fusion

·
Registered
405 Posts
Tell that to the bent rod in engine of the cruiser I drove into a flooded section of road...
Thats not moisture and that little air filter wouldnt do anything to prevent that. Obviously if you suck water into an engine that cant be compressed its going to cause damage.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Well Ford seems to disagree. There was a video post on here recently where (if I'm not mistaken) a Ford exec. was explaining why they purposely decreased the air intake in a Ford RS. He essentially mentioned too much humid air as being a factor.

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's for emissions. The Subaru's started using them a while back as well. I remember seeing the differences between the PZEV vehicle and the non-PZEV, and one of them was the carbon filter in the housing.

·
Registered
624 Posts
It's for emissions. The Subaru's started using them a while back as well. I remember seeing the differences between the PZEV vehicle and the non-PZEV, and one of them was the carbon filter in the housing.
Huh? How does... What can.... Huh??

I admit ignorance to cars these days but.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts