Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

As this year draws to a close, I am nearing 40k miles on my car and next month I will celebrate my one-year anniversary with it. In that time I have done oil changes every 5k miles with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, a transmission partial flush with Motorcraft fluid, and a PTU fluid replacement with Royal Purple at 30k.

Now that I am reaching 40k, are there any "special" maintenance items I should be aware of? I plan on perhaps doing the PTU again, and also doing the RDU since I have never done that (although it seems more difficult to me than the PTU) and another partial transmission flush.

So far I haven't needed to do much mechanically with the car, which is great! I think I have only replaced the rear brakes and rotors (the new Powerstop drilled and slotted carbon ceramics look and feel good) although I may swap the front brake and rotor since it feels like they may be warped, even though the pad and rotor appear to be in good condition.

Either way, love to hear what all you folks have been saying! I have been using the highest octane gas here in Utah (91) but still feel slight vibrations in the car's steering wheel during cold starts that worry me. Are my valves getting dirty or am I just feeling things I have always felt and not noticed? I have thus far not installed a catch can but I am thinking it may be coming due. Assuming my valves are dirty, how difficult or expensive is it to get them cleaned?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2019 Ford Fusion Sport
33 Posts
Hey, figured I would chime in as I just clicked 40k as well on a 19 I bought 2 weeks ago.
New to the Fusion but been wrenching on my own cars since forever.

I've changed the following so far..

Spark Plugs
Air Filter
Cabin Filter
PTU Fluid
Cleaned throttle body

Next on the list for me to feel content...

Motor Oil
Rear diff fluid
Trans fluid (probably just a drain and fill not a flush)
Serpentine belt (looks like an ordeal)
Brake fluid

Not sure how good the coil packs are but no issues yet, in my experience stock coil packs are the best.
I do want to get a catch can setup on the car for some extra insurance, maybe check some wear parts but that's about it.
I can't think of anything else that would be critical at 40k, I always overdo stuff on maintenance but my cars last me a looooonngg time.

Also just want to put this out there as a complaint, it appears ford does not want you to work on this car at all.
Everything is packed so tight, you need to remove a bunch of stuff or need to employee small children to reach things for you.
Even things such as clamps are oriented so they are not easily accessed by a socket almost on purpose lol.
If your serpentine belt snaps, you're pretty much SOL unless you carry your tools around and get ready to remove a motor mount on the side of the road.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, figured I would chime in as I just clicked 40k as well on a 19 I bought 2 weeks ago.
New to the Fusion but been wrenching on my own cars since forever.

I've changed the following so far..

Spark Plugs
Air Filter
Cabin Filter
PTU Fluid
Cleaned throttle body

Next on the list for me to feel content...

Motor Oil
Rear diff fluid
Trans fluid (probably just a drain and fill not a flush)
Serpentine belt (looks like an ordeal)
Brake fluid

Not sure how good the coil packs are but no issues yet, in my experience stock coil packs are the best.
I do want to get a catch can setup on the car for some extra insurance, maybe check some wear parts but that's about it.
I can't think of anything else that would be critical at 40k, I always overdo stuff on maintenance but my cars last me a looooonngg time.

Also just want to put this out there as a complaint, it appears ford does not want you to work on this car at all.
Everything is packed so tight, you need to remove a bunch of stuff or need to employee small children to reach things for you.
Even things such as clamps are oriented so they are not easily accessed by a socket almost on purpose lol.
If your serpentine belt snaps, you're pretty much SOL unless you carry your tools around and get ready to remove a motor mount on the side of the road.
I agree with you on most of these, especially my serpentine belt which I think has been squeaking slightly every once in awhile.

Has anyone on the forum replaced their serpentine belt? As you said it looks like a gigantic pain in the butt.

As far as Ford not "wanting" you to work on the car, I think that the Fusion platform was never designed for a motor as large as the 2.7, and so they did their best to make it work but alas, it's very compact.

·
Registered
470 Posts
First of all, our cars don't have a serpentine belt - we have a chain and it shouldn't need replacement.

Second, as far as maintenance goes, I'm following the schedule below. It's more conservative than it needs to be but I'm choosing to do a lot of early preventative maintenance.
  • Oil - every 5k
  • Cabin air filter - every 20k
  • Engine air filter - every 30k
  • PTU fluid - every 30k
  • Transmission fluid - every 30k
  • RDU fluid - every 50k
  • Coolant flush - every 100k
  • Aux belts - maybe replace at 100k, not sure yet
  • I was originally planning on doing spark plugs every 100k but now with a tune I'm probably going to do every 50k instead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First of all, our cars don't have a serpentine belt - we have a chain and it shouldn't need replacement.

Second, as far as maintenance goes, I'm following the schedule below. It's more conservative than it needs to be but I'm choosing to do a lot of early preventative maintenance.
  • Oil - every 5k
  • PTU fluid - every 30k
  • RDU fluid - every 50k
  • I was originally planning on doing spark plugs every 100k but now with a tune I'm probably going to do every 50k instead.
I'd suggest changing your spark plugs more often than 50k.I got my '17 with 5200 miles and had a 93 tune on it by 6000 miles. The spark plugs were throwing misfires at high RPMs by 21k. I also have a mazdaspeed 6 and some people change their plugs every 5k-10k miles on that platform.

·
Registered
2019 Ford Fusion Sport
33 Posts
I was going to do every 30k or so for spark plugs. guess I will check on them at 15k-ish

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey all!

As this year draws to a close, I am nearing 40k miles on my car and next month I will celebrate my one-year anniversary with it. In that time I have done oil changes every 5k miles with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, a transmission partial flush with Motorcraft fluid, and a PTU fluid replacement with Royal Purple at 30k.

Now that I am reaching 40k, are there any "special" maintenance items I should be aware of? I plan on perhaps doing the PTU again, and also doing the RDU since I have never done that (although it seems more difficult to me than the PTU) and another partial transmission flush.

So far I haven't needed to do much mechanically with the car, which is great! I think I have only replaced the rear brakes and rotors (the new Powerstop drilled and slotted carbon ceramics look and feel good) although I may swap the front brake and rotor since it feels like they may be warped, even though the pad and rotor appear to be in good condition.

Either way, love to hear what all you folks have been saying! I have been using the highest octane gas here in Utah (91) but still feel slight vibrations in the car's steering wheel during cold starts that worry me. Are my valves getting dirty or am I just feeling things I have always felt and not noticed? I have thus far not installed a catch can but I am thinking it may be coming due. Assuming my valves are dirty, how difficult or expensive is it to get them cleaned?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just did my rear differential.. something to note in case you or orthers didn’t know. It’s something I have never seen before is that there is a level drain plug in the front of the differential. There is your standard fill plug .. hole.. in the back .. normally you fill to the bottom of that hole and your done. Not this time . You fill till it comes out front level hole which is lower than back fill hole. Also front level plug is a smaller super torx size that loves to strip out. On both my 16 awd and my 17 sport I had to weld a bolt on plug to get it out. Easier said than done because any weld glob protruding past the edge of plug will not allow it to turn out.. I had to use a die grinder to clean edged of my weld to get it out both time and I am a welder by trade.

·
Registered
78 Posts

• Oil - every 5k
  • PTU fluid - every 30k
  • RDU fluid - every 50k
Our car most definitely has a serpentine belt. No car has Chain driven accesory belts. Your thinking about a timing belt I assume. I checked my serpentine yesterday 37k no cracks in the ribs yet so ill leave it till 50k. its NAPA PART # NBH 25060680

1 - 11 of 11 Posts