Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Definitely gonna head down there for a few passes. Would be cool to see a few other Sports up there :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
I,m not ready yet, but would like to head over sometime. It's either that or Milan, but they do theirs on Weds, and I don't get out of work till 5:30. I haven't been out to Norwalk in thirty years though, LOL. Be fun to get a group of the locals together and meet up there sometime for one.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I’m not going to make it 4/30 but my brother lives in Lorain and that’s where he usually took his Chrysler 300C until they closed last season. He came down to Dragway 42 to race with me several times last year. I’ve never been to Norwalk, but I will try to come up this year. I’ll stay in touch with you guys and try to meet up!

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
VB any update on your outing ?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Must have been bad

Reactions: MY27FUSION

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha I went but didn't get to run :( They were drying the track for about 2 hours then ran slicks and saturday was an event so there was a looooad of dragsters there and they were all getting ready to run after slicks, I hadn't ate and running on 2 hours of sleep when I saw all the dragsters getting pulled out of trailers I dipped

·
Registered
938 Posts
Haha I went but didn't get to run :( They were drying the track for about 2 hours then ran slicks and saturday was an event so there was a looooad of dragsters there and they were all getting ready to run after slicks, I hadn't ate and running on 2 hours of sleep when I saw all the dragsters getting pulled out of trailers I dipped
Okay sorry in advance for the noob question, but......what does wetting down the track have to do with slicks, and that's the problem with slicks running on the track? Does that mess up the track for regular tires? So much I don't know about track life. :unsure:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Engineer, I think you misunderstood...The track was wet because we had heavy rain go through this part of Ohio on Friday night. The track crew uses what are basically jet engines that act like giant blow dryers to dry the track. It sometimes takes many passes in both lanes to properly dry them. Norwalk is a major-league NHRA competition track where they run Top Fuel, etc. and their track crews and prep work are reported to be first rate (I’ve never raced there personally, but family members have). Actually, I’m surprised they ran slicks first after drying the track. They must have had a ton of pressure to get the “real racers” that were there for the event on the track. I’ve always experienced the track staff running street tired cars after drying a wet track to help ensure complete drying and not risk a truly fast car on slicks hitting a slippery spot. On “prep” nights when they spray traction compound and groom the groove, they usually tell street tire cars to stay out of the groove because our cold tires lift the rubber that’s laid down by the track machine and the slick tires. On “no prep” nights, we get to run in the groove which is really a different experience IMO.

Velocity Brew: that’s why I quit going to Friday Test ‘n Tunes at Dragway 42; they’re always a prelude to a big weekend event and I pay $5 extra to get fewer passes because there’s a gazillion cars and lots of breakdowns! Sitting two hours between runs after skipping dinner after a full days work is not a good night of racing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts