Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

Anyone get crushed by their drivers seat?

7K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  ColoradoGuy 
#1 ·
Has happened to me a few times when the battery was disconnected or replaced. Get in the car, push the memory seat #1 button which previously had my presets. Then the seat moves up and forward and literally crushes your chest to the steering wheel. It's quite bizarre and I am sure there is some button to hit to stop it. But it is such a surprise when it happens, and it happens fast. When it stops moving I am absolutely wedged in until I move the seat. I may have a few extra pounds but anyone of normal stature would get wedged in when it happens. It's pretty crazy.

#2 ·
Never happened to me in any Fords, I've never lost my seat positions either tho Even still, there would just be no position remembered, doesn't default to all the way forward.

Do you already sit far forward or something? I've never seen an electric seat that moves fast enough where I wouldn't be able to react fast enough. You can press another button to stop the movement before you get wedged in.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel
#4 · (Edited)
It’s bizarre. I sit pretty far back. its only happened twice in 3+ years on my 2017. And even tho the seat is traveling at its normal speed, you would be surprised how quickly it happens. First you hit the memory button again, thinking that will stop it. That does nothing. Then reaching around for the side seat controls, still assuming it is going to stop on it’s own. Takes way longer than you may think when it catches you by surprise. Probably a software glitch but I’ll live with it rather than have the dealer mess around. :)

Reactions: DaMiFo
#5 ·
I know you said you don't want to do this, but you might think about bringing it in to have your Ford dealer update the DSM and DDM (and probably the passenger side as well while they're at it). Just in case there was some kind of bug there that only happens occasionally, maybe. Or if there's a genuine problem with the module, they could look at that as well.

#6 ·
Has happened to me twice with my 2017. Both times with no apparent warning or reason. I’m at 112k miles so I get a lot of seat time and typically I’m the only driver but I use the memory a lot to put the seat back after cleaning the carpets. One time the seat ran all the way to the steering wheel without me in it, the other time I was in it and when you’re expecting it to move up to a point and stop, then it doesn’t, it does catch you unaware!

#7 ·
Had this happen to me once in both my FFS and my previous 2.0. I don't remember the circumstances. I want to say both times occurred right after receiving some form of service at the dealership.

Reactions: ColoradoGuy
#9 ·
This happens regularly to me. Both gradually losing the regular position as well as the programmed position on #1.
Over time, the regular seat position seems to drift and i have to move the seat back to where i want it. Basically I adjust the position maybe every 3 months. I have long legs and have the seat a fair way back, maybe an inch short of full stroke.
On the programed setting, I did ask the dealer to check it at the start of this year. They claimed they couldn't find a problem, I insisted for them to reloadwhich they said they would and it seemed to fix it. During these holidays weve been changing between drivers almost daily and had to re-set my #1 position yesterday. It went into "crushing" mode (😆) . Program 2 seems to be repeating ok so far.
I figured its not a great encoder on the drive screw as mirror and seat heights are ok. Lead screw looks properly greased and can't find anything loose. Something is obviously slipping, but I can't find what. Maybe when I take it in again ill get them to recheck.

Reactions: ColoradoGuy
#10 ·
Mine drifts out of adjustment too. I’d kind of forgotten about it until you mentioned it. I’ve also had the drivers side mirror gradually drift downward over a period of months.

#12 ·
I had this happen on my 2017 at the service before last. It has 25600 miles. the battery wasn't disconnected during the service, but the seat ran far forward at a very fast clip as I started the car. I've never had that happen before!:mad: No one else drives this car, I'm the sole driver. I had both settings, #1 and #2 set to the same position, and punched #2 as soon as it began moving. It stopped in the correct position for my setting on #2. I called the service advisor out to the car and demonstrated the behavior for him. Then I moved the seat using the #2 and saved the position to the #1. I told the service advisor how I had the #s set. I told him If his service director was going to allow the techs to mess with customer cars in that manner, they wouldn't keep me as a customer and FORD would hear about it. He guaranteed me he, the service director and tech were going to have a conference about how customer cars would be taken care of in the future. As I started to drive out of the receiving bay, the open hood tone and instrument panel light sounded; the tech hadn't closed and latched the hood either! :mad::mad:

#13 ·
I find it interesting that every case of this happening that's been mentioned in this thread (unless I missed one somewhere) has been a 17. I wonder if there was a legit problem with a certain batch of 17s, or maybe a bug in the code for a bit in some of the 17s. It still makes me think taking it to the dealer to have the door and seat modules updated would be a good idea for anyone who has this happen to them.

#17 ·
Happened to me last week. Hit the start button and it stopped. Pressed #1 on preset, and it went back.

#20 ·
My 17 did it today it crushed me enough to make my hip pop when it stopped and I backed up another big noise in hip. Now it’s a bit sore but we will how it is tomorrow. That was crazy how the seat took me to the steering wheel. It seems to happen fairly quick. Just surprised this could happen

#23 · (Edited)
It happens fast enough that by the time you fiddle with the seat controls trying to stop it - it is too late to get out. Will literally crush you against the steering wheel, even door access to open and get out is difficult. There is the element of surprise, and it happens far faster than you would think. Pretty sure I have had it happen at least once after pushing the Memory 1 button when driving. Getting out at highway speed is a bit - shall we say - inconvenient. :cool:

#22 ·
Just open the door and it will stop.

#28 ·
It happened to me last week in my 2018 ford edge titanium. I had turned to get out after putting car in park- still on. It caused a huge bruise on my hip and I was being crushed from the side- as I was trying to exit. It was very fast I didn’t even realize what was happening! My daughter was nearby and ran over and punched the automatic button on left side if driver seat to stop it. It was shocking and I now have a huge bruise on my right hip. I will report this- a 2018 model.

#29 ·
As I also found, it happens very quickly, too quickly to do anything if it catches you by surprise. I have no doubt people have been injured by this; the seat motors are very powerful and did not stop, despite all the pressure that is generated by forcing a person into the steering wheel.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.