Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the antenna mast (rod) just for the fact that I hate how it looked. I thought about the sharkfin antenna but they look so wide and awkward shaped due to fitting over the stock antenna base. Anyone else remove theirs? Have you noticed worse radio reception?

·
Registered
150 Posts
They sell stubby antennas, but from the reviews you get noticeably worse reception with those. Can't imagine how bad it is with nothing

·
Registered
740 Posts
Check my build thread. I just installed the Ford Edge fin antenna and the reception got better. Direct bolt-on except for paint.

Reactions: ike

·
Registered
150 Posts
Check my build thread. I just installed the Ford Edge fin antenna and the reception got better. Direct bolt-on except for paint.
That fin antenna install that you did is the best option so far, IMO. Not sure about how to go about getting it paint matched perfectly, however.

Reactions: ike

·
Registered
740 Posts
That fin antenna install that you did is the best option so far, IMO. Not sure about how to go about getting it paint matched perfectly, however.
I have a buddy at the dealer ask their body shop guy and he's going to paint it for $45.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Could he do 2 by chance? lol
Not unless you're in Socal...... Honestly, any body shop can do it with the paint code. N6 lightning blue.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have been eyeing up a whole bunch of Sport Sedans the last few weeks. One thing i have been taking note of are the vehicles with the fin are more expensive and they look it too. Not that I'm advocating making a cosmetic change to the car to make it look more expensive, but I think it should have either been an option or done that way to begin with. If this option were a cost cutting move by Ford to control cost of the vehicle, they failed.

I snicker (in that I still have not bought one yet) but doing the fin antenna will be one of the first exterior mods I will do to the car. The fin belongs on this car!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I unscrewed my antennae and threw it in the trunk a couple months after owning the car. I did not notice any change. There is a second FM antenna built into the rear window.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...usion-and-escape-dual-fm-radio-receivers.html

Since HD radio is digital, you either have it or you don't. Sound quality isn't changing based on signal strength like analog. So as long a you can get a good signal you are getting best quality available.

Your mileage may vary depending where you live and if you listen to AM. Try it and if you don't like it out it back on. I think the car looks better without it. Even sleeker that a stubby or shark fin.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I went with the "Super Shark Fin" that I got on Amazon for about $30. In gloss black to go with the vinyl roof job. Looks better for sure. Reception could be down to a 9 of 10 compared to original. I don't much listen to AM/FM though...

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
Update on the antenna. The FT4Z number is good for pre-Sync 3 models. GT4Z-18936-ACPTM is for SYNC 3. I found this out because the compass is stuck on N.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Subscribed

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
I unscrewed my antennae and threw it in the trunk a couple months after owning the car. I did not notice any change. There is a second FM antenna built into the rear window.

Did the same--bought a shark fin antenna but decided I didn't need it and just removed the wire mast. I've had no reception problems in the DFW area although my primary use is a USB stick or Pandora via my cell phone using blue tooth. cockerdogs

·
Registered
104 Posts
RCMUSTANG, I'm glad I read your thread. Just got my OEM (Edge) Shark Fin antenna and plan on installing on the weekend. Figured out I could grab and pull the headliner down around the middle, but was cursing trying to find more working space. Never even crossed my mind to fold the frigging seats down. I feel so stupid now, but you definitely helped. Hopefully it's a painless install for me tomorrow.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Very easy once you put the seats down, 10mm socket and 15 mins done!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts