Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ford Fusion Sport
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, friends! Is anyone in NJ edison, metuchen, new brunswick area?
I need a little demo of the cars 4wd capabilities, I am working with a dealer and my transmission was replaced (it ate itself apparently) but the car definitely does not have 4wd as the front wheels spin wildly when I get on it and it has torque steer I never felt before.

I've had the car for many months and know how it felt and it had tons of grip and now the front wheels spin and there is a noticeable lack of grip so I feel the rear wheels are either not getting power or slipping but can't prove it to the dealer since they test drove and everything felt fine to them. Which i am sure on a gentle test drive everything would feel fine regardless.

I know there is a clutch of some sort in the rear end I am thinking something is broken back there, we have no error codes or anything and the dash says the car is getting power to the rear but it's clearly physically not.

The dealer does not have now or has driven a fusion sport to compare.
Can anyone help out and meet up?
I just need them to see how the car should feel and grip under acceleration, I will pay you for your time of course!
This NEVER and I mean NEVER spun the front wheels even in the rain, it was all grip all the time.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hello, friends! Is anyone in NJ edison, metuchen, new brunswick area?
I need a little demo of the cars 4wd capabilities, I am working with a dealer and my transmission was replaced (it ate itself apparently) but the car definitely does not have 4wd as the front wheels spin wildly when I get on it and it has torque steer I never felt before.

I've had the car for many months and know how it felt and it had tons of grip and now the front wheels spin and there is a noticeable lack of grip so I feel the rear wheels are either not getting power or slipping but can't prove it to the dealer since they test drove and everything felt fine to them. Which i am sure on a gentle test drive everything would feel fine regardless.

I know there is a clutch of some sort in the rear end I am thinking something is broken back there, we have no error codes or anything and the dash says the car is getting power to the rear but it's clearly physically not.

The dealer does not have now or has driven a fusion sport to compare.
Can anyone help out and meet up?
I just need them to see how the car should feel and grip under acceleration, I will pay you for your time of course!
This NEVER and I mean NEVER spun the front wheels even in the rain, it was all grip all the time.
Hi fd. Just an option, in case no one is local and can help. Do you have a shop you trust? Have the Dealer preferably (or a shop you trust if necessary) put your car on the lift with a tech inside. Have them run the engine, accelerate and see if the rear wheels turn properly.

Or do it yourself, jack the car up off 4 wheels and put it on jack-stands, and perform the test with a friend.

While it is not an absolutely definitive test, it will at least show if any power is getting to the rear end.

Keep us updated and good luck.

·
Registered
2019 Ford Fusion Sport
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi fd. Just an option, in case no one is local and can help. Do you have a shop you trust? Have the Dealer preferably (or a shop you trust if necessary) put your car on the lift with a tech inside. Have them run the engine, accelerate and see if the rear wheels turn properly.

Or do it yourself, jack the car up off 4 wheels and put it on jack-stands, and perform the test with a friend.

While it is not an absolutely definitive test, it will at least show if any power is getting to the rear end.

Gotcha, the dealer did that and the rear wheels spin, (just found this out a few min ago) so apparently it's getting some power but I think it's slipping pretty bad.
I just never had wheel spin and don't feel that hard grip or kick from the rear anymore, plus torque steer. It's sad but I may have to just buy a new rear even though the car is under warranty.
They keep saying it's operating as normal but it's a totally different car. Basically drives like a front wheel drive car with too much power.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Gotcha, the dealer did that and the rear wheels spin, (just found this out a few min ago) so apparently it's getting some power but I think it's slipping pretty bad.
I just never had wheel spin and don't feel that hard grip or kick from the rear anymore, plus torque steer. It's sad but I may have to just buy a new rear even though the car is under warranty.
They keep saying it's operating as normal but it's a totally different car. Basically drives like a front wheel drive car with too much power.
Hi fd. Too bad it is not winter in NJ with snow on the ground. Perhaps find a slippery/sandy place to perform a driveline test. Have a friend drive your car. With you outside observing the rear wheels, have your friend punch the throttle and see if front wheels spin with no action from the rear wheels etc. Again, not an absolutely definitive test but someplace to start.

Or...try the Service Department at another Dealership

Hopefully one of our tech experts will jump in with more advice.

·
Registered
2019 Ford Fusion Sport
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate it thanks, yes you can easily see the crazy wheelspin in the rain too.
I even told them I will bring gallons of water to put down and we can test with that! lol

·
Registered
921 Posts
I appreciate it thanks, yes you can easily see the crazy wheelspin in the rain too.
I even told them I will bring gallons of water to put down and we can test with that! lol
Also, just thinking out loud here: You say you are gettiing crazy front wheel spin? Does that mean your TCS (Traction Control System) is not working properly? You should not be getting "crazy wheelspin" if the TCS is working properly.

·
Registered
2019 Ford Fusion Sport
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, just thinking out loud here: You say you are gettiing crazy front wheel spin? Does that mean your TCS (Traction Control System) is not working properly? You should not be getting "crazy wheelspin" if the TCS is working properly.
I first noticed it in the rain and it spins then traction takes over, so I turned off the TCS and tested and pretty much did a front wheel burnot in the rain before traction controk took over again.
That never happened before. So i tried it when it was dry out and with the traction control off I do get "alot of wheelspin" without grip as if the rear power is not there, now with the traction control on I get a little spin, but the car feels super slow and there is a definitelty feeling of a lack of power like before.
The only way I can really show someone 4wd is not working is turning the traction control off.

In my time owning this car I've never felt it not grip and go I am hoping I don't have to wait till it snows out for the dealer to acknowledge there is an issue back there.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I take it your car does not have the display that shows the front/rear power delivery graphic? That might demonstrate what’s happening (or not happening) with power transfer. You’re right, it’s normally nearly instantaneous transfer to the rear, even if it only takes a second to regain traction it will usually stay engaged until your speed is close to your throttle input.

Every time I hear a story like this, I’m so grateful I have a great dealer service department. Every time I’ve gone to them with a concern, they’re on it like a pack of dogs on a three-legged cat. I’ve never had to convince them that something is wrong, they assume I’m right and work from there to either disprove it or fix it. I wish you luck!

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
2019 Ford Fusion Sport
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I take it your car does not have the display that shows the front/rear power delivery graphic? That might demonstrate what’s happening (or not happening) with power transfer. You’re right, it’s normally nearly instantaneous transfer to the rear, even if it only takes a second to regain traction it will usually stay engaged until your speed is close to your throttle input.

Every time I hear a story like this, I’m so grateful I have a great dealer service department. Every time I’ve gone to them with a concern, they’re on it like a pack of dogs on a three-legged cat. I’ve never had to convince them that something is wrong, they assume I’m right and work from there to either disprove it or fix it. I wish you luck!
Oh yes I have the two screens in my car it's a 2019 and I can see the graphics showing full power to the rear, so the car thinks it's sending power to the rear which is making me thing there is something wrong with that electro clutch in the differential.

It's so obvious to me that the car is either not sending power to the rear wheels or slipping a lot enough to not engage them under acceleration.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
540 Posts
As far as I'm aware all accelerations from a dead stop should have full engagement of all wheels. Even with rather poor tires and in heavy rain, it is difficult to feel wheelspin from the car. The only time I ever feel any amount of torque steering is accelerating from a stop into a turn.

·
Registered
2019 Ford Fusion Sport
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as I'm aware all accelerations from a dead stop should have full engagement of all wheels. Even with rather poor tires and in heavy rain, it is difficult to feel wheelspin from the car. The only time I ever feel any amount of torque steering is accelerating from a stop into a turn.
Yes exactly, it's like I'm trying to convince them on how the car they designed should function. Losing my mind over here. I really am lost on why they keep telling me "operating normally" I'm escalating with Ford customer care. This is so ridiculous to me.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
540 Posts
Yes exactly, it's like I'm trying to convince them on how the car they designed should function. Losing my mind over here. I really am lost on why they keep telling me "operating normally" I'm escalating with Ford customer care. This is so ridiculous to me.
Ah, the most classic dealer response. "This is functioning normally." Definitely take it up the chain of command, the mechanics at the dealership don't get paid enough to care.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I assume your on screen "drivetrain" indicator is showing when it is calling for any power to RWD?
Should show power to rear any time you take off say more than very light throttle, and if you floor it even at 50-60 MPH.

Where are you in Jersey?

·
Registered
2019 Ford Fusion Sport
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I assume your on screen "drivetrain" indicator is showing when it is calling for any power to RWD?
Should show power to rear any time you take off say more than very light throttle, and if you floor it even at 50-60 MPH.

Where are you in Jersey?
yup unfortunately all electronics in the car indicate that power is getting to the rear wheels (no codes or errors)
The animation in the dash moves as usual Just physically something wrong or severe slippage in that clutch in front fo the diff.
I even took a ride with the head tech who acknowleged in the car that it is getting too much front spin.
I had the screen for the animation up showing him that the car is commanding 4wd as I floor it and do a front wheel drive mini-burnout in the parking lot.

I did just find a video I made of me taking off and having one chirp and gone. I am hoping them seeing that video would help, also been collecting youtube videos of people doing 0-60's without any kind of wheel spin in the FFS. Again crazy how i am showing Ford what 4wd cars are supposed to be doing..

I am in Edison NJ, dealer is in north brunswick.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
yup unfortunately all electronics in the car indicate that power is getting to the rear wheels (no codes or errors)
The animation in the dash moves as usual Just physically something wrong or severe slippage in that clutch in front fo the diff.
I even took a ride with the head tech who acknowleged in the car that it is getting too much front spin.
I had the screen for the animation up showing him that the car is commanding 4wd as I floor it and do a front wheel drive mini-burnout in the parking lot.

I did just find a video I made of me taking off and having one chirp and gone. I am hoping them seeing that video would help, also been collecting youtube videos of people doing 0-60's without any kind of wheel spin in the FFS. Again crazy how i am showing Ford what 4wd cars are supposed to be doing..

I am in Edison NJ, dealer is in north brunswick.
I'm In Jackson. We are one the same path of thinking. I did a video this morning showing 0-50, foot to the floor on a wet road (no sport mode, forgot).
I'm tuned on 93, zero wheelspin, you can see it in the speedo and tach (no brake boost, which is really the only
way I normally get any spin).

You can add mine to the pile if you want.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
You can also show them this (I've posted this before, I know). When everything in a FS is working correctly, look at the 0-30 time (tune only, good Oct air).
Our cars pull HARD out of the hole. As hard as one of the supposed fastest electrics on the road (under 100 grand anyway).

Now look at the 0-30 time on this graph of a 2019 Tesla Model 3 performance (done by Motortrend).
Yes we get killed by 60, but that is not the point.

·
Registered
2019 Ford Fusion Sport
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmm wondering if they would even be open to discussing performance like that, if all other agurments and physical evidence are exhausted.

I am really pretty easy on the car but I have launched it from a stop light and its always been an absolute beast with a chirp on a cold day and nothing but grip and torque.

But is "lack of performance" a good argument? I mean i did by THE FUSION SPORT with twin turbos and 4wd and they did post 5 secon 0-60's for the public to know. I am hoping their expectation of a test drive to see the problem is not put putting along to the 7 eleven at 22 mph.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
BTW. Is the dealer Malouf? I might consider All American in OldBridge.
Our 2017 Escape started what sounded like a ring and pinion hum which went away off the gas (only 72K miles).
I took it to All American and took service guy for a ride. He said he could not really hear it on roads in and around rt 9.

I took it out again (I don't daily it, the woman does) and found exact speeds it was making noise.
Dropped it off and next day they said they were able to duplicate noise under load on a lift,
it needed and entire rear diff/RDU (thank god we got ext warantee).

They are also a Roush dealer, so they are used to perf cars. They even had several Explorer ST's on the lot,
so they probably have a good idea how hard these AWD ecoboosts get out of the hole.

·
Registered
2019 Ford Fusion Sport
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW. Is the dealer Malouf? I might consider All American in OldBridge.
Our 2017 Escape started what sounded like a ring and pinion hum which went away off the gas (only 72K miles).
I took it to All American and took service guy for a ride. He said he could not really hear it on roads in and around rt 9.

I took it out again (I don't daily it, the woman does) and found exact speeds it was making noise.
Dropped it off and next day they said they were able to duplicate noise under load on a lift,
it needed and entire rear diff/RDU (thank god we got ext warantee).

They are also a Roush dealer, so they are used to perf cars. They even had several Explorer ST's on the lot,
so they probably have a good idea how hard these AWD ecoboosts get out of the hole.
Yes that is them didn't want throw the name out because they have been good and professional and helpful up until supposedly a ford tech came out from ford? took a ride and said the car is working as intended. Hmm might try them, waitng for hear back from Ford this week. I sent the video to the customer care speciaist I'm working worth, I def. would not drive a modern car without a warranty these things are expensive as hel! I actually have a premium care package to 100k miles on the car too.

They may be a better ear on what the car should be doing I will look them up soon if this escalation gets me nowhere.
I really love this car and it's my first 4wd car ever so I want it to uh ya know REMAIN 4wd! lol
Thank you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts