Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a weird one pop up today. Driving to work, and an alarm chimes. I immediately look down at my displays, nothing. Kept driving and a few minutes later the chime comes on again and catch a glimpse of a yellow light going out on the left display. Kept driving, then another chime an the "Anti-Collison not available" pops up and stays on until I hit the "OK" on the steering wheel. Goes way. Going home this afternoon the cycle repeated.

Checked the front end, wind shield camera areas. No obstructions. Good weather, temps in the morning 80 and this afternoon 89. So, I am stumped.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Had a weird one pop up today. Driving to work, and an alarm chimes. I immediately look down at my displays, nothing. Kept driving and a few minutes later the chime comes on again and catch a glimpse of a yellow light going out on the left display. Kept driving, then another chime an the "Anti-Collison not available" pops up and stays on until I hit the "OK" on the steering wheel. Goes way. Going home this afternoon the cycle repeated.

Checked the front end, wind shield camera areas. No obstructions. Good weather, temps in the morning 80 and this afternoon 89. So, I am stumped.
Good call on checking for obstructions. I was a little surprised there weren't any with it doing that. I'd pull DTCs as well. I've gotten that message quite a few times but that's usually when I'm messing with ForScan making experimental changes, so that wouldn't be it in your case (or else it probably would have shown up when you first started the car). Other possibilities that come to mind: Battery fading, maybe a wiring issue. Hopefully the DTCs give you something back.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I thought was weird was that the alarm would sound first (just a short chirp) with nothing on the display, then later alarm with "blink" on the display, then alarm and the permanent display until you acknowledge with "ok".
Tomorrow, I will see if it continues and see if I can pull codes. I will check my voltage, too.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
What I thought was weird was that the alarm would sound first (just a short chirp) with nothing on the display, then later alarm with "blink" on the display, then alarm and the permanent display until you acknowledge with "ok".
Tomorrow, I will see if it continues and see if I can pull codes. I will check my voltage, too.
Sounds like a good plan. I'm kind of leaning toward a battery problem, myself. I'd be interested to hear what you find though!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I had another thought on this. You said you checked the front end, so you probably checked this already, but:

I know you said you checked the IPMA area, but I'm not 100% clear you checked the ACC area. I'm also not 100% clear whether that sensor is tied into the collision detection, without looking it up, but it's probably worth checking as well if you haven't already. If you have though (or if it's not related), my apologies in advance; I just can't remember if that ACC sensor gets tied into collision avoidance on cars equipped with ACC, or not.

·
Registered
706 Posts
We've had the ACC radar receiver do things like this just from large bugs and garbage being sucked up in the bumper when the car is going down the road, I've seen some funny things with the park assist sensors in the front. Had a car come in for a issue, turned out they hit a rock, or rock hit them just right and it blew the sensor out the back and was just hanging by the wires in behind the bumper cover.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I found a cigarette butt in my lower grille by the intercooler, and a bird's feather stuck in the trans cooler just yesterday. I'm glad we have grilles in front of those openings. My 2007 Mustang GT didn't have one for the lower part and I once found an instruction manual lodged in there from the freeway.

The active collision radar on other brands works weird. One time a friend started her car in the driveway with my radar detector on, and it picked it up as K-band briefly. But it doesn't always pick up a K-band alert, it's like the collision system does a test sweep during initial startup or something and the frequency band falls outside of the police K-band range programmed in the detector.

I just know from owning this Fusion is that the less options/gadgets/modules there are on the car, the more reliable and less problems to expect down the road.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I found a cigarette butt in my lower grille by the intercooler, and a bird's feather stuck in the trans cooler just yesterday. I'm glad we have grilles in front of those openings. My 2007 Mustang GT didn't have one for the lower part and I once found an instruction manual lodged in there from the freeway.

The active collision radar on other brands works weird. One time a friend started her car in the driveway with my radar detector on, and it picked it up as K-band briefly. But it doesn't always pick up a K-band alert, it's like the collision system does a test sweep during initial startup or something and the frequency band falls outside of the police K-band range programmed in the detector.

I just know from owning this Fusion is that the less options/gadgets/modules there are on the car, the more reliable and less problems to expect down the road.
I think that's not Ford-specific though. It's true of any complex system. The more complex it is, the more possibility something will fail. But you're right, Toyotas are very basic, and dull, and as a result they're both not fun at all, and probably less likely to have anything happen because there's nothing interesting onboard. Not my kind of car.

Reactions: DaMiFo

·
Registered
451 Posts

I believe that statement can be brushed broadly across all modern hi-tech cars and for that matter, modern kitchen appliances (no, I don't mean a Toyota) with all their electronics last no way near what previous generations did.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I got a pigeon stuck in the grille of my ‘77 LTD Brougham once. I had no affect whatsoever on my collision avoidance system. But I did almost throw up trying to get it all cleaned out of there.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I got a pigeon stuck in the grille of my ‘77 LTD Brougham once. I had no affect whatsoever on my collision avoidance system. But I did almost throw up trying to get it all cleaned out of there.
The collision avoidance module on those was located in the driver's seat, connected to the steering wheel and the brake pedal, wasn't it? ;)

Reactions: Skipe

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yes! But mine had a loose nut behind the wheel! Not that there was much in the way of avoidance maneuvers with that battleship! You’d turn the wheel, and it would consider your request. Although it did have four-wheel disc brakes, the rears were the same size as the fronts, the calipers were just flipped backwards! That thing stopped like a Porsche! I actually got rear-ended once because of that.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today, still having intermittent warning, but it doesn't stay. Just comes on for maybe a second and then goes off by itself.
SCT X4 showed no DCT on the way to and return from work. Re-checked the "radar" in the front cowl. Still mounted correctly and nothing lodged in there. Windshield mounted camera is clear with no blockages or fogging between it and the windshield.

As for bad battery, I have no other weird electrical issues. Will have to get the car into the shop and see if I can get diagnosis. Get them check out my driver side seat cooling at the same time. Seat cools, back of seat does not. Saw another post about this earlier this month.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Today, still having intermittent warning, but it doesn't stay. Just comes on for maybe a second and then goes off by itself.
SCT X4 showed no DCT on the way to and return from work. Re-checked the "radar" in the front cowl. Still mounted correctly and nothing lodged in there. Windshield mounted camera is clear with no blockages or fogging between it and the windshield.

As for bad battery, I have no other weird electrical issues. Will have to get the car into the shop and see if I can get diagnosis. Get them check out my driver side seat cooling at the same time. Seat cools, back of seat does not. Saw another post about this earlier this month.
I'm almost wondering if it's a bad gateway module or something like that. Problem is most of what I can think of, I would expect to pop a DTC. I think your plan is a good one though.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The other thing that occurs to me is I suspect whatever is happening is probably on high speed CAN bus side, because I think everything related to collision avoidance is on one of the HS-CAN busses. If that helps any.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have noticed a pattern. About 3 minutes after putting the car in gear and start moving, the First alarm, just bell tone, few seconds later, the warning flashes on the screen and goes out within 2-3 seconds without me doing anything. Then about 30 seconds later, the warning comes on and stays until I hit the "okay" button. Once I hit the button I get no more warnings during this driving episode. This has been the standard procedure since this started.

Went on a road trip today. The above mentioned warnings happened. Got on the interstate and was able to set the cruise control. So, wondered if the ACC was working. Started easing up on a car in front, the ACC detected the car in front and slowed the car down to match the speed of the car in front and maintained proper distance. Pulled out and around the car in front, and the ACC was able to detect no car in front and sped up.

Evidently, this issue is either a false flag or only temp glitch. Still going in next week to have it looked. This weekend, I am going to disconnect the battery and let the car sit overnight with no power, then hook it back up and see if this does anything.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I have noticed a pattern. About 3 minutes after putting the car in gear and start moving, the First alarm, just bell tone, few seconds later, the warning flashes on the screen and goes out within 2-3 seconds without me doing anything. Then about 30 seconds later, the warning comes on and stays until I hit the "okay" button. Once I hit the button I get no more warnings during this driving episode. This has been the standard procedure since this started.

Went on a road trip today. The above mentioned warnings happened. Got on the interstate and was able to set the cruise control. So, wondered if the ACC was working. Started easing up on a car in front, the ACC detected the car in front and slowed the car down to match the speed of the car in front and maintained proper distance. Pulled out and around the car in front, and the ACC was able to detect no car in front and sped up.

Evidently, this issue is either a false flag or only temp glitch. Still going in next week to have it looked. This weekend, I am going to disconnect the battery and let the car sit overnight with no power, then hook it back up and see if this does anything.
Hi @maydk65 ,

Just a thought: Have you tried setting your cruise mode to normal instead of ACC mode? Not so you can leave it that way (obviously you, like me, wanted ACC or you wouldn't have bought a car with that), but just to see if this still happens with the cruise in non-ACC mode. I'm just curious if that'll make a difference. It might help narrow this down some.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good thought, but tried that this morning on the way to work. The alarms happens in normal and ACC mode, with the Cruise control off .

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got up and went to work this morning. No Alarms. Curious. I cannot explain it. The only thing difference was the long drive yesterday, using cruise control. Wonder if that reset something? Guess we will see if the issue pops back up.

·
Registered
216 Posts

Not saying this is the problem but recall that happened to my maxima every once in a while and it always seemed to happen when I went by cop cars. I think certain radar systems can interfere with the anti-collsion radar the cars have. After I was past the cop cars a little bit the warning went off. It has not happened to me for a while but it every now and then. For a period of time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts