Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first time poster. Decided to register and make a post since I saw a couple other topics reporting the same.

2017 Sport, 3700 miles give or take. Accelerated hard from a stop to get by a second lane of traffic, couple seconds in experienced a sudden and rapid loss of power. "Low Oil Pressure" appeared on the dash, and I was in what I'd assume is limp mode. Shuttering when I gave it any gas. Luckily I was 3 miles from home. Checked the oil when I got there and it was barely on the dipstick. Called the dealership and they wanted me to bring it in, which I did the next day without an issue. No lights, no warnings, and the car drove absolutely fine.

Got it back yesterday and they said they couldn't reproduce the issue, and it was just low on oil. At that point they did its first oil change and sent me on my way. Should I be worried that a car this new is that low on oil after 3700 miles? I'm fairly mechanically minded, so I'm worried the dealership missed a potentially serious issue. Thoughts?

PS - Look forward to being a member of the community! I'm leasing the car and I love it, so this turn of events is pretty upsetting.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
With it being that low I would think something is going on. If you read through this forum you will see a couple of members had this issue and Ford had to replace the cylinder heads due to excessive oil consumption.
Acceptable oil consumption is a quart in that amount of time and you was down probably 2 to 2.5 quarts. Once you accelerated hard, the oil shifted to the back of the pan just enough for the sensor to detect low oil. Im assuming the sensor is towards the front of the pan and the pick up is in the rear.
Anyways, I doubt you did any damage and check your oil after it has been sitting for 15 min.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi all, first time poster. Decided to register and make a post since I saw a couple other topics reporting the same.

2017 Sport, 3700 miles give or take. Accelerated hard from a stop to get by a second lane of traffic, couple seconds in experienced a sudden and rapid loss of power. "Low Oil Pressure" appeared on the dash, and I was in what I'd assume is limp mode. Shuttering when I gave it any gas. Luckily I was 3 miles from home. Checked the oil when I got there and it was barely on the dipstick. Called the dealership and they wanted me to bring it in, which I did the next day without an issue. No lights, no warnings, and the car drove absolutely fine.

Got it back yesterday and they said they couldn't reproduce the issue, and it was just low on oil. At that point they did its first oil change and sent me on my way. Should I be worried that a car this new is that low on oil after 3700 miles? I'm fairly mechanically minded, so I'm worried the dealership missed a potentially serious issue. Thoughts?

PS - Look forward to being a member of the community! I'm leasing the car and I love it, so this turn of events is pretty upsetting.
Did you happen to catch the % on the dash?

Picked up FS Oct 29th only 2300 miles and showing 69% life left , Dealer said it was normal...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Did you happen to catch the % on the dash?

Picked up FS Oct 29th only 2300 miles and showing 69% life left , Dealer said it was normal...
Umm, not sure if your question was meant to be related or not to the original post, but the % of life has nothing to do with the amount of oil in car. It's meant to be an indicator to how much "life" is left with the oil in the car to help you gauge when to get an oil change. It uses various algorithms to guestimate oil life. It does not in any way actually know the quality or quantity of the oil in your car. Your 69% with 2300 miles is certainly a reasonable reading for this system. I am sure that many enthusiasts completely ignore this information however, and change their oil at specific intervals that they are comfortable with.

P.S. Yes your car knows the approximate quantity of oil in your car, but the system that calculates % life does not. So therefore has no bearing on the OP's problem or any problems regarding low oil.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Also as a side note regarding the oil life indicator:
When it gets down to a particularly low percentage (not sure what that is on our Sport) the car will display a message stating you should change your oil. Again not sure what the exact message is. At that point you will need to reset the oil percentage back to 100% or it will keep telling you you need to change your oil.

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread

·
Registered
64 Posts
Also as a side note regarding the oil life indicator:
When it gets down to a particularly low percentage (not sure what that is on our Sport) the car will display a message stating you should change your oil. Again not sure what the exact message is. At that point you will need to reset the oil percentage back to 100% or it will keep telling you you need to change your oil.

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread
Sorry for injecting non related question into the original post , Thanks again for still answering and clearing that up...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sorry for injecting non related question into the original post , Thanks again for still answering and clearing that up...
No problem, just about everyone of us(myself many times) is guilty of it and for the most part I don't think it's a big deal. I just wanted to make sure, didn't want to assume anything, that members knew oil life "guage" and oil level were unrelated.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I feel like the oil life indicator is just a percentage based on miles driven. If you do the math and figure 10,000 miles based on Ford intervals, comes out about right if you ate up 30% after roughly 3000 miles. It's just an idiot light basically. Probably to help protect Ford more than anything if someone abuses their engine and doesn't change the oil after more than 10,000 miles, Ford can say, sorry, no warranty, you abused your engine if something were to happen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Once you accelerated hard, the oil shifted to the back of the pan just enough for the sensor to detect low oil.
That actually makes the most sense. I was trying to come up with an explanation in my mind for what happened, but I definitely think you're right.

I didn't check the oil life monitor at the time, I rarely use them to begin with. It's probably too frequent, but I try to change the oil on new cars at around 5000 miles, and 3000 once they get up there in mileage. Better to play it safe, in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback though, confirmed my original thoughts that something was up. My buddy that went with me to pick up the car actually said he saw white smoke coming out the tailpipes on the ride back when he was behind me. I was leaning towards it just being cold vapor (it's nearly single digits here in the northeast) but now I'm wondering if it was burning oil. Either way the dealership is closed on Sundays, so I'll reach out to them tomorrow. Thanks again folks, I'll keep this thread updated as I learn more!

EDIT: Finally got around to checking the build date, and mine is 06/13/2016, which falls right in line with the date range listed on another thread... Not encouraging news.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I went about 9,500 miles before my first oil change.... oil was still on the dip stick, within the fill lines. The oil wasn't even black, either. A few people have claimed to lose oil......either there is an oil leak on random Fusions.....or those guy are driving the heck out of their cars, causing the turbo to eat all that oil up....... i don't know..... Maybe it's the Leprechaun in the gas tank???? o_O

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update time. Went back to the dealership, the smell of burnt oil was noticeable just standing by the tailpipes. I told the service writer I had heard of some reports online of oil consumption issues with the 2.7L - he didn't really like that and came back with "Yeah well you can find anything on the internet that will say what you want." God forbid someone does their due diligence, right? He ended up coming out to the car, scanned for codes, checked the oil that had just been changed a couple days earlier, and smelled for burnt oil out of the tailpipes. Didn't confirm he smelled anything, but it would have been impossible to miss it. Said to drive it for another 1000 to 1500 miles and bring it in so they can check the oil levels.

Wasn't expecting them to do much since it had just gone in, so we'll see what happens when those miles tick by.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Update time. Went back to the dealership, the smell of burnt oil was noticeable just standing by the tailpipes. I told the service writer I had heard of some reports online of oil consumption issues with the 2.7L - he didn't really like that and came back with "Yeah well you can find anything on the internet that will say what you want." God forbid someone does their due diligence, right? He ended up coming out to the car, scanned for codes, checked the oil that had just been changed a couple days earlier, and smelled for burnt oil out of the tailpipes. Didn't confirm he smelled anything, but it would have been impossible to miss it. Said to drive it for another 1000 to 1500 miles and bring it in so they can check the oil levels.

Wasn't expecting them to do much since it had just gone in, so we'll see what happens when those miles tick by.
You MUST make them search for and read the TSB on the 2.7 head issues. If your build date is between 4/1/16 and 10/31/16 you may have one of the impacted engines. Your symptoms are the same as mine were and they replaced the engine as a result. Because the oil is leaking into the cylinders, you may also experience some rough idle and rotten egg smell (cats being destroyed).

Seriously, they MUST know about this issue as it impacts the Edge and the F-150 too (same engine).

·
Registered
75 Posts
If the oil change interval is anything like the SHELBY it also based on time. How do I know. Last year I changed the oil and put it away for a long winter slumber(Reset the oil life monitor to 100%). Car moved 10 feet from my driveway to the garage. Went to start it up in the spring and what did I get but a change the oil indication. It's might be a combination of mileage and time, and when one hits first it throws the notification. I change the oil on my schedule and not what Ford nags me with :).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seems like every 2 days my situation gets worse. Was driving today and noticed a rough idle while I was parked at a gas station. Then I got the CEL. P0306, Misfire Cylinder 6.

Called the dealer again, and this time I wasn't as polite as I was the previous times. Explained this would make my third trip in for service, TSB 17-0007 fits my engine, my symptoms, the DTC, everything except the model of car, and I'm tired of being told I'm a clueless car owner.

They put me on hold and got their service manager. Told me to bring it in tomorrow and they'll get me a loaner. I'll be bringing a copy of the TSB just in case they decide to screw me around again.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Seems like every 2 days my situation gets worse. Was driving today and noticed a rough idle while I was parked at a gas station. Then I got the CEL. P0306, Misfire Cylinder 6.

Called the dealer again, and this time I wasn't as polite as I was the previous times. Explained this would make my third trip in for service, TSB 17-0007 fits my engine, my symptoms, the DTC, everything except the model of car, and I'm tired of being told I'm a clueless car owner.

They put me on hold and got their service manager. Told me to bring it in tomorrow and they'll get me a loaner. I'll be bringing a copy of the TSB just in case they decide to screw me around again.
I'm sorry to read about your troubles.
Finding a compassionate service department is pretty tough.
Come with the TSBs but don't waste too much time telling them about the forum.
They tend to switch you off when the internet card gets played.
What is your build date?
https://www.etis.ford.com/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can understand being skeptical when Joe Customer walks in and acts like he knows more than they do. I work in IT, so I see it on a daily basis too. But when what they're saying sounds plausible, I do take a second to see if there's a chance they're right. We'll see how it goes today, I'm hopeful.

Build date is 13 June 2016, which falls right in the range the TSB cites.

·
Registered
451 Posts
But when what they're saying sounds plausible, I do take a second to see if there's a chance they're right.
Unfortunately 90% of the time, they still don't know what they're talking about ;)

Good luck though!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Unfortunately 90% of the time, they still don't know what they're talking about ;)

Good luck though!!
this is true however ford people not knowing about TSB's that the company they work for is unacceptable lol even worse them refusing to even look.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I can understand being skeptical when Joe Customer walks in and acts like he knows more than they do. I work in IT, so I see it on a daily basis too. But when what they're saying sounds plausible, I do take a second to see if there's a chance they're right. We'll see how it goes today, I'm hopeful.

Build date is 13 June 2016, which falls right in the range the TSB cites.

I was looking at a car with a June 28 build date, not any more.
Found one closer with a December build.
Stealerships...........

1 - 20 of 44 Posts