Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's not that a catch can makes the emissions system less effectivce, because it doesn't. The dealers (or Ford with warranty work) are more worried about owners creating system leaks, improper flow, etc. that could cause other damage or issues. It's also one of those things that is a "sign that the owner may have done other modifications".
I've seen the TSB for warranty cancellation, and every time I think of it I almost laugh because let's be real: The fact the driver has an FFS, or a Mustang, or any kind of performance car like that, is a "sign that the owner may have done other modifications", if you think about it. ;) But seriously, I think the TSB actually mentions things like racing bumper stickers even as cause for suspicion.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The TSB also says to check for the Ignition Count PID. No easy way around it.
Oh absolutely, I'm not questioning that part. I know it mentions the ignition count, and that's obviously the main thing (aside from obvious bolt-ons and things like that) that should legitimately result in cancellation if it's related. But I just think some of the things they mention, cosmetically, are a little silly.

From Ford's point of view, I can totally respect why they'd use the ignition count and make the argument, to protect their interests (and that of all future Ford owners as well) in cases where someone blows an engine and has unsupported mods though. I get it completely, and that's why I haven't tuned mine (although I admit some of y'all have me at least considering it). I just need the car too much to risk it, right now. Plus, even stock it's the fastest thing I've ever owned.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Oh absolutely, I'm not questioning that part. I know it mentions the ignition count, and that's obviously the main thing (aside from obvious bolt-ons and things like that) that should legitimately result in cancellation if it's related. But I just think some of the things they mention, cosmetically, are a little silly.

From Ford's point of view, I can totally respect why they'd use the ignition count and make the argument, to protect their interests (and that of all future Ford owners as well) in cases where someone blows an engine and has unsupported mods though. I get it completely, and that's why I haven't tuned mine (although I admit some of y'all have me at least considering it). I just need the car too much to risk it, right now. Plus, even stock it's the fastest thing I've ever owned.
Hi engineer. A warranty claim will not be denied for "racing stickers".

The mention of "racing stickers" as a "cause for suspicion" only means that if the Dealer sees those types of racing stickers, they should look deeper for actual performance modifications.

I'll offer this loose analogy: Compare it to a TSA agent who sees someone come up to the security checkpoint at an airport, sweating and looking nervous. That person is more likely to be pulled aside for a more thorough security check. Does not mean they won't be allowed through and onto the plane after the security check, but they will be questioned and their luggage will be examined more closely. Likewise, if a car withe "racing stickers" is brought in for a warranty claim, the owner may be asked some questions, and the car itself will be given a more thorough visual and electronic check for unapproved modifications which may have caused/contributed to the problem.

Hope that analogy makes sense. Good luck.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi engineer. A warranty claim will not be denied for "racing stickers".

The mention of "racing stickers" as a "cause for suspicion" only means that if the Dealer sees those types of racing stickers, they should look deeper for actual performance modifications.

I'll offer this loose analogy: Compare it to a TSA agent who sees someone come up to the security checkpoint at an airport, sweating and looking nervous. That person is more likely to be pulled aside for a more thorough security check. Does not mean they won't be allowed through and onto the plane after the security check, but they will be questioned and their luggage will be examined more closely. Likewise, if a car withe "racing stickers" is brought in for a warranty claim, the owner may be asked some questions, and the car itself will be given a more thorough visual and electronic check for unapproved modifications which may have caused/contributed to the problem.

Hope that analogy makes sense. Good luck.
Hi @bbf2530 I agree with everything in your post. I wasn't suggesting Ford would cancel the warranty for stickers. I know they wouldn't do that. It was just the wording in the TSB struck me as kind of over-the-top, but I get why they would want to investigate, etc. I agree, it does make sense if you look at it that way.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts