Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I pushed my latest oil interval to 10k unintentionally. Long story I won't get into here, anyway for the last 5k of Miles I have had my Tracy Lewis Sig Catch Can installed with my new configuration and this is what I have caught. Doesn't look like much but it didn't get fed to the back side of my hot intake valves. In talking to Tracy this shows a couple things. One the can is working, two the engine rings are seated well, three there is no raw fuel smell to the collected fluid so limited blow by. Tracy Lewis please correct me if I am off base.

So I have done a Blackstone oil test and will possibly do an Amsoil test on my 10K oil to see if it has pushed past its limits. My normal change interval has been 7500 but as I stated 10K snuck up on me with out me realizing it.
Also something I found strange is my oil change interval is down to 8% but has not once displayed the oil change soon/required. Here is the result of my Blackstone testing...

The sample was a cold sample hence the comment about the "Note". Ideally I should have been driving the car for a while and roll it in on the ramps/lift and drain and capture mid stream. I didn't realize this until after I had already caught the sample. 12K will be my next interval and I will retest. The lab seems as surprised as me with the results.

Reactions: Vert and Donjohnk

·
Registered
301 Posts
So I pushed my latest oil interval to 10k unintentionally. Long story I won't get into here, anyway for the last 5k of Miles I have had my Tracy Lewis Sig Catch Can installed with my new configuration and this is what I have caught. Doesn't look like much but it didn't get fed to the back side of my hot intake valves. In talking to Tracy this shows a couple things. One the can is working, two the engine rings are seated well, three there is no raw fuel smell to the collected fluid so limited blow by. Tracy Lewis please correct me if I am off base.

So I have done a Blackstone oil test and will possibly do an Amsoil test on my 10K oil to see if it has pushed past its limits. My normal change interval has been 7500 but as I stated 10K snuck up on me with out me realizing it.
Also something I found strange is my oil change interval is down to 8% but has not once displayed the oil change soon/required. Here is the result of my Blackstone testing...

The sample was a cold sample hence the comment about the "Note". Ideally I should have been driving the car for a while and roll it in on the ramps/lift and drain and capture mid stream. I didn't realize this until after I had already caught the sample. 12K will be my next interval and I will retest. The lab seems as surprised as me with the results.
Nice. I didn't have any test kits available on my first oil change. I will be changing my oil again at 3k miles and have it tested. I really need to purchase a Tracy Lewis kit though.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
51455 - 10K Interval

Reactions: Donjohnk

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my latest sample to Blackstone Labs appears to have them fired up! I have to say it was much better than I expected and even came with a recommendation to push it another 2K for the next interval . Pushing it to 13.395 miles for this sample was hard enough for me. Not sure I can push it to 15K without freaking out. But the science supports the findings so...

Reactions: DaMiFo and AisFbyM

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
Definitely much better than the Motorcraft 5w30 full synthetic. I've been using that just for warranty purposes, but I've been thinking of changing.

I've done my oil changes every 5,000mi (except after it was new, and after the heads were replaced), and while wear/metals is low, the oil consistently is in the viscosity range of 5w20, but "still within the bottom end of 5w30 spec". Not meaning to thread hijack, but if anyone wants to compare high-mileage-use Amsoil to low-mileage-use Motorcraft 5w30 full synthetic oil here's my last report.

Reactions: Oreo

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make it a little easier...

Reactions: DaMiFo

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Doing research on BITOG, the consensus now is that UOAs only tell part of the story with GTDI engines. There are engines that have failed with perfect UOAs. But the Amsoil SS 5W-30 is a very stout oil! Are you running their Ea15k filter?

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you running their Ea15k filter?
No I am running the stock Motorcraft oil filter. I have always run Motorcraft oil filters with no issues and so far it appears to be a good decision.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Thanks. I bought the Ea15K filter for the Fusion Sport and it is a fully synthetic media with screen backing. The Motorcraft is cellulose, no screen backing. If the Motorcraft is handling your OCIs, then the Amsoil filters must be able to handle a lot more miles. I plan to run the same Amsoil filter for 2-3 oil change intervals.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My last collection was a bit more that I thought it would be...

For a little reference...

Bottle is 1.75" wide.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well after USPS tracking showing my samples were not moving for almost 2 weeks suddenly last Friday they popped up as delivered. Thought for sure they has been lost. Here is the latest results from my 14,483 oil change interval. Also included is the sample data for the catch can. Wasn't sure what to expect from this...

Notes from the Catch-Can sample
This is the catch can sample from your Fusion. We included it in the engine's history for comparison, but excluded it from your unit/location averages. There's less metal in this sample than the corresponding oil sample contained. We also found some fuel dilution, and the viscosity is thin for a 5W/30. Additive elements like calcium or phosphorus are also diluted, and we really aren't sure why. No moisture was found, and 0.8% won't skew spectral results. So, this is an interesting sample, but it doesn't tell you much about the engine, in our opinion.

FYI I am running the stock Motorcraft oil filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Impressive, it would scare me to death running 17,000 before an oil change.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I've read more than once that Blackstone doesn't read proper fuel dilution levels, they always show it lower than actual. That being said, my Fusion Sport's oil seems to be a lot cleaner than other GTDI engines at 7500 miles and I'm just using regular OTC synthetics (QS/Pennzoil): light in color, little to no fuel odor, etc... almost like a MPFI engine. But the type of driving also makes a huge impact. Highway driving is typically much easier on the oil than city driving.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Impressive, it would scare me to death running 17,000 before an oil change.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah drove me nuts just to test the 15K interval. I wouldn't be pushing if that far again but it is good to know if needed it can do it.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Given the number of timing chain issues I've read about with EcoBoost, I wouldn't keep pushing the OCIs that high even with Amsoil SS 5W30. On the older MPFI engines it would probably be ok. And the cellulose media of the Motorcraft filters isn't as durable as the full synthetic media of the Amsoil oil filters which are also screen-Backed. Nonetheless it is always nice to see UOAs from our engines.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thank you for posting your Blackstone Lab report, including your catch can data!

I just ordered some more Amsoil Signature Series 5W30, and with this next oil change I'm going to try their oil filter too.

Reactions: Oreo

·
Registered
98 Posts
How much does it cost to do the oil tests? I currently have 2800 miles on my 19 Sport (bought it the day before the pandemic lock down started), and so far have only changed the oil at 1k miles. I had the dealer put in Motorcraft Full Syn as I couldn't make up my mind on what Oil to get. I am now considering Mobile 1 20k miles, but would still most likely change the oil around 5 or 6k miles. My biggest fear is how much of the oil evaporates and finds its way back into the engine. I don't want to mess with catch can because I want to keep the car under warranty without the dealer questioning me, or having a claim denied for unrelated reasons/or telling me that I am messing with the emission system.. But I don't understand how this is making the emission system less effective, as long as you properly dispose whatever is found in the can...

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
Blackstone Labs (who apparently increased their prices a little) charge $30 per oil analysis (or $25 if you pre-pay for 6 (or more)). Measuring TBN adds $10 per test, if you want.

It's not that a catch can makes the emissions system less effectivce, because it doesn't. The dealers (or Ford with warranty work) are more worried about owners creating system leaks, improper flow, etc. that could cause other damage or issues. It's also one of those things that is a "sign that the owner may have done other modifications".

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I looked at and used catch cans, and have seen GTDI engines with over 100k miles without catch cans, and I'm in the group that feels aftermarket units are unnecessary.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts