Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,

I see that Ford offers the non illuminated sill plates for $55\pair.

a) What are the steps to install these vs. paying the dealer to do it? (I realize this isn't rocket science but ....)
b) and wouldn't one also want to do this for the rear doors as well, yet I do not see those offered by Ford and I doubt they would be the same size as needed for the front doors.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The steps to do it I am not sure.

But for your second question, usually these are not put on the rear doors. There is a lot less flat space for it to go on the rear doors.

·
Registered
188 Posts
These things are usually only offered for the front doors. I'm not too sure about installation, but I'll see online. I'm pretty sure it's just wired to door courtesy lights or something.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I wonder how easy it is to install the illuminated sill plates? We have them on our 15 Edge and I love the look. Very classy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
With that kind of work, I would have them do it....

·
Registered
230 Posts
I found them on Amazon. This was in the Q&A area:

"As an FYI - the 2016 and 2017 Ford Fusions make the installation MUCH easier, as the new wiring harness has a cable specifically for these SILL plates. You no longer need to run power to the middle console as the instructions state. "
By Brad Groux on July 25, 2016

I guess we would need to see the install instructions for the 16, 17s.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I found them on Amazon. This was in the Q&A area:

"As an FYI - the 2016 and 2017 Ford Fusions make the installation MUCH easier, as the new wiring harness has a cable specifically for these SILL plates. You no longer need to run power to the middle console as the instructions state. "
By Brad Groux on July 25, 2016

I guess we would need to see the install instructions for the 16, 17s.
Maybe when I have the car, I will buy them and make a post about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the dealer install I. It took them most of a day. I would say pulling the wires is a little tough. Lol. I am an electrician and I wouldn't do it myself.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I had the dealer install I. It took them most of a day. I would say pulling the wires is a little tough. Lol. I am an electrician and I wouldn't do it myself.
Being an electrician, you would think that would be easy for you. I am an engineer who worked with wire harnesses every day for several years, I am not worried about the wiring side of things, I would only be worried about clips breaking off of trim pieces.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Being an electrician, you would think that would be easy for you. I am an engineer who worked with wire harnesses every day for several years, I am not worried about the wiring side of things, I would only be worried about clips breaking off of trim pieces.
This is my biggest fear with removing trim. I always break something, why do they have to use such shitty little pieces of plastic that only seem to be designed to be installed once?!

·
Registered
215 Posts
How have the aluminum plates held up for those of you who have had them in the past? I had them on two recent vehicles (Mercedes ML500 and GMC Acadia) and in both cases they were pretty seriously scratched up after a couple of years. Maybe I'm more careless getting in and out of the car than most people, but this would keep me from getting them again since they only looked good for a short time.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thx Wildcat Birdie, I will look for your post, should you deice to go the illuminated route.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that yet. Every Fusion can have those sills, but a special SPORT one would look great!!
If someone has these and can get me dimensions I can look into custom making "Sport" versions. I've got access to a waterjet and other fab equipment.

Reactions: Ginger Fusion
1 - 17 of 17 Posts