Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm glad I found this forum. I really like the idea of getting this car. But I want to know what else I should consider for the price range.

The most important things to me are (in order):

1. Price ($35k to $39k)
  2. Performance
  3. Comfort (I have long work commute)
  4. Features: Power things, sensing, etc.
  5. Noise (I'm a music fanatic and I care about a relatively quiet cabin)
Of course, I understand I can't have everything 100%. But I'd like some of everything, most of 2, and it has to fit 1. :D

The only one I know of is the Accord EX-L V6. Anything else that nicely balances those requirements?

P.S. Idk if it really has to be a sedan. So there's that. Any coupes that qualify?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Fusion Sport is in the sweet spot for your requirements. Be sure to also drive an AWD Fusion Titanium with 18 inch wheels and all the tech features.

I cast my net very wide with this purchase, and I test drove more than a dozen carefully selected cars over a two month period. The cars I liked next best to FS are the Audi A4, Infiniti Q60 and the Jaguar XE. All are significantly more expensive, especially if you want the tech features.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you don't need the AWD and it doesn't have to be a sedan, the door seems pretty open for your price/performance needs.

Mustang
Camaro
Charger
Challenger
370Z
Genesis

Comfort/Features/Noise though not sure how those stack up. Had a 2017 Buick Regal Turbo II as a rental a couple weeks ago, and that seemed quite comparable to the Sport. Not as fast, but it was fun.

Not sure anything else offers just what the Sport has, which I guess is a good reason I bought one :D.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Price and performance?. Aside from AWD (which is very important to me, it
rains a crapload around here), not much beats this in a sedan.
I hate chevy, but have to give this thing it's due @ this price.

Cars for Sale: New 2016 Chevrolet SS in , Glen Burnie MD: 21061 Details - Sedan - Autotrader

A tune and they are running mid 12's @ 110+
A blower and tune is low 11's, high 10's

I suspect there is not anything quieter (inside) than a fusion in this class though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The only two other cars I was looking at was a Chevrolet SS...Didn't go with it because it was RWD and I live in PA. The other was the Focus RS! Coming from the ST I already knew what I was getting myself into as far as interior. It wasn't bad but for me being a dad of two and taking a lot of long trips I wanted something with more comfort but I could still smile when I hit the gas. Being only 27, it was really tough for me to say no to the RS and I still kick myself sometimes for not getting it instead. But I am very happy with the Fusion sport and think in the long run it will be the better choice...Plus who says i'm not going to buy an RS as soon as the sport is paid off anyways :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm glad I found this forum. I really like the idea of getting this car. But I want to know what else I should consider for the price range.

The most important things to me are (in order):

1. Price ($35k to $39k)
  2. Performance
  3. Comfort (I have long work commute)
  4. Features: Power things, sensing, etc.
  5. Noise (I'm a music fanatic and I care about a relatively quiet cabin)
Of course, I understand I can't have everything 100%. But I'd like some of everything, most of 2, and it has to fit 1. :D

The only one I know of is the Accord EX-L V6. Anything else that nicely balances those requirements?

P.S. Idk if it really has to be a sedan. So there's that. Any coupes that qualify?
If you're willing to go with a smaller car, there are a lot of options. Audi A3. A c-class Benz. The Buick Regal Turbo (nice, quiet cabin).

FuSpo is hard to beat for a slightly bigger car, though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I owned a Focus ST before and it's was a blast so I was going to get a Focus RS cuz it's a absolute monster but couldn't find one and didn't want to wait so next best choice for me was the Fusion because I needed/wanted AWD.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My dealer had an RS sitting outside on their prime real estate area when I bought my FS. The RS is an awesome looking car, but at 35 I just can't see myself in it. I drove an EVO VIII from age 21 to 30. That was my time with a rally inspired car.

·
Registered
529 Posts
For the price range you provide, the best car is the fusion sport. It checks off most if not all of your requirements. It is hard not to be biased, but it really does meet everything.

With that said, if you can stretch your budget higher, you bring the likes of the euro sedans (unless you go used, then they fit in your budget). The performance requirement of the FuSpo makes it hard for other Big 3 cars to compete. If you drop down into the 2.0T range, you re-enter some of the other cars in it's class from a performance standpoint.

I've been in the new Malibu, they are nice and quiet, but lack some of the advanced features; Electronically controlled suspension, AWD, LED lighting, etc..

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was also cross shopping against the RS. Like someone said earlier I couldn't find the base model I wanted on any lots and couldn't really wait months for one to come in. The base is $35k and comes with a lot of the tech, besides the drivers packages, that the FS has. It is of course a smaller car and setup to be more performance oriented than sporty. Outside of that I couldn't find anything less than $40k that really compared.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I cross shopped a regal turbo, but for around the same price, I couldn't pass up the performance. Also, I've gotten used to large cars and, while I'm not a large person, I don't like feeling like I'm wearing my car. The regal is at the small end of "midsize" while the fusion is at the large end. Space aside, I do think the Buick was more comfortable, and quieter. However, at 23, I'm just not as ready to embrace Buick as I thought I was. Unless of course the new Lacrosse was about 5K cheaper. That is a beautiful, comfortable, and surprisingly sprightly car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Focus RS planted the seed for me. But the way dealers are gouging customers by marking those things up 5-10k over the MSRP I just couldn't go there. The FS offers similar performance and is just nicer. One drive and the negotiations began:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I considered Audi A4, Accord coupe, VW GTI, Golf R, Mustangs. I also considered BMW's as the Sport's price started to climb up. I realized that most of the European sedans would be minimally equipped vs the fully optioned Sport and would cost 10K more comparably equipped. The Accord coupe was probably the closest contender, and fully equipped it was about 8K cheaper. Golf R and GTI was a little too small, and the Mustang with rear wheel drive and small interior was just too impractical for my Denver weather.

Ken

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The Focus RS planted the seed for me. But the way dealers are gouging customers by marking those things up 5-10k over the MSRP I just couldn't go there.
This is what stopped me from the upgrade. The best I could get was 2K over MSRP, and with what I wanted that put it at 42K, where I saved 9K with the Fusion

·
Registered
101 Posts
TLX maybe. Read on another forum they got the AWD V6 with tech package for 37k. MSRP around 41k.

Couple people chose it over the FS.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah, you are describing the Fusion Sport perfectly with your list. I don't own a '17 yet but was lucky enough to spend a few hours in one. Its impressively quick, very comfortable, and very refined. Tech is top of its class. It Is a big heavy car although there are usually trade-offs with AWD and the handling was acceptable (different tires would help a lot). The AWD does not feel like a FWD system either. I've also considered an RS, but short of driving one I've done a lot of research, watched many videos and what I am hearing is that it is not a wonderful daily driver- two main problems from what I keep hearing (and I must take some liberties as I've never driven one) are that it rides like it was designed for the track only and has an uncomfortable driving position. As much fun as it would be, I fear that I personally wouldn't be able to live with it as I drive 40,000 miles a year. Again, just me, but something to consider. Might be my 40 years but I drove a '17 Mustang GT back to back to a '17 Sport last week and I'd take the Sport all day long (and I own a Mustang). The Mustang didn't feel much faster and the Sport drove more as I prefer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Like many others here I initially wanted an RS but the price was 40-42 compared to 35 before getting Dolan and rebates.
The RS interior is severly outdated compared to the sport and alot less comfortable I'm only 32 but I drive 35-40k mIles per year.
The sport has a ton of room it feels like a large car but it's fast, has awd, and it can handle! Take one out throw it around it handles surprisingly well.
The mpg is the biggest drawback for me but it's fun! I'm getting 24-26 with alot of highway cruise around 75mph
Hope this helps! Just buy it already and tune if you want more

·
Registered
624 Posts
Initially was thinking about Focus RS. Then became excited at how fun the Focus ST was to drive for the money, but found it way to uncomfortable for a daily driver, plus wife's nagging made automatic trans a requirement. Which made Mustang GT not an option(would never buy auto there). Test drove Charger RT day before Sport. Less options, worse gas mileage, no AWD, more money, and not faster or more fun to drive. Chevy SS comes up alot here, and I am still interested in that myself. 3.0TT AWD Lincoln mkz, nice alternative but significantly more money. Subaru wrx/sti? 2.0 ATS AWD?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Most of the cars are was looking at are already been listed except I was also looking at the Volvo S40 and S60, and trying to find a used Polestar. Also the Mercedes C300 or GLC300 which has a very nice a quite cabin and respectable performance. Though all in all I think for a well rounded vehicle with great performance, a great radio with the Sync 3 at least, and a comfortable quiet cabin you would be hard pressed to find a better deal than the FF sport. Even with the 401A, moonroof, and drivers assist this car was only about $34k before taxes/title and a bit of negotiating.

Reactions: Dconlan4
1 - 20 of 30 Posts