Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all due respect.

Please discuss AI related topic on this thread.
I am interested in the AI discussion as well but not in the dead battery thread.

Please leave the already convoluted dead battery thread for more
directly related matters.

Thanks
FLEW ( not HAL)

·
Registered
27 Posts
With all due respect.

Please discuss AI related topic on this thread.
I am interested in the AI discussion as well but not in the dead battery thread.

Please leave the already convoluted dead battery thread for more
directly related matters.

Thanks
FLEW ( not HAL)
If I may respectfully beg to differ, perhaps this Venn Diagram will aid in connecting the dots between the dead battery issue and unexpected, emergent, adverse AI behaviors. Mobile robotics (self driving cars, etc.) not simple.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I may respectfully beg to differ, perhaps this Venn Diagram will aid in connecting the dots between the dead battery issue and unexpected, emergent, adverse AI behaviors. Mobile robotics (self driving cars, etc.) not simple.
Hey V8Flathead,

I am impressed with your wealth of knowledge and your conviction on the subject matter.
I see the correlation between the dead battery and your IA premise however speaking only for a guy who's Sport has been sitting in a dealer for over ten weeks.

If I printed out the Venn diagram and handed it over to the Service manager.. I'm sure it would be received like a notice from the IRS(CRA for the canucks)

This is not helpful on the dead battery thread.

That is why I created this thread for continued discussion on this interesting subject.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I honestly don't think the BCM, SCM or the ACM on our cars are self aware. Like I said in another topic your confusing smart programming with AI. Maybe we should get HAL to interface with our cars and let us know what it finds out?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, I respect your right to your opinion, but an old maxim is that when all else has been eliminated, one investigates what is left. Here, that seems to me to be an "unexpected, adverse emergent AI behavior" due to the implicit realities of calculus n-space topology. So those that believe mathematics is "off topic" since "only" used in physics and therefore irrelevant re: dead battery, etc., sorry not many familar with Buck's Advanced Calculus text, generally taught in grad school.

Therefore my trouble shooting suggestions since Ford and several dozen dealers are stumped by a potentially life threatening "dead battery." After all, why would anyone get a FS, or keep it, with this issue just "popping" up?

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is a picture of one of Ford's sorta self driving Fusions with tons and tons of AI. Some of which also resides on base Fusions and Fusion Sports.

Those that have not studied n-space topology have no basis to argue with Dr. Hawkings, etc., as the reality of unexpected, emergent, adverse AI behaviors. Those that watched the sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey learned why Hal became murderous...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
Just wanted to add this since it was brought up... right now, Ford needs all this hardware, plus more not shown, just to process decisions to follow lines on a road and not bump into solid obstacles. Our cars have none of this. Our production cars have nowhere near the processing power needed for AI. It's all programming based on pre-determined events.

Reactions: V8FlatHead

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good to learn you are a Ford employee. Our AI nav tech has human quick WCET (<110ms) for collision avoidance of unmapped/moving obstacles that does not require high clock, high core, large memory, etc. Ford is going down wrong road in my admittedly limited 20-40 years of AI mobile robotics R&D.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I think your confused on what AI is and just smart programming. AI learns and creates its own 'thoughts' outside of what it's programmed to 'think'. Traction control, stability control, magnetic suspension, even the radio is just software designed to react a certain way when the programming criteria is met. It's smart in that way but not AI.

Sorry, but this is the reality. I am an engineer who has worked with many computer programmers, one of which actually worked at Ford at one point, not sure if he still does, and not one of them would call anything about a current car Artificial Intelligence. That's just not what it is. I have built robots in college that had programming and sensors and all that, so they could go out and do a given task. Does not mean we have made an AI in any way, shape or form. If it was in any way an AI, I would have patented it and gotten rich off of it, as so far, a true AI does not exist except in Hollywood.

I am gonna be honest, reading about this everywhere on this forum is getting old.
Well hopefully now you only have one thread you need to avoid.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
To go a step further, look up the Turing Test. Nothing about my car is indistinguishable from a human.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts