Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found something that will work with these turbos, being they are vacuum, it's been a fun time finding anything. I'll get some pics here in a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Why? What's wrong with letting the computer do the work?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll still be tuning them, just bumping the spring pressure up some, interesting thing is Turbosmart is coming out with vacuum actuators for the 2.7 3.0 this year. I added myself to the email list when they are released. What I have will work, but there a bit out of box thinking far as how they work. What Mamba does, is use a two piece housing with two grooves inside for O rings, then there's a piston that the rod screws into. You have a spring in the head to push the piston / rod out, vacuum pulls it back in opening the wastegate. Total reverse of how every other one out there works, they operate on pressure. Spring is in the base pulls the rod in, you put pressure to the top or head to push it out and open the wastegate. When I say base I mean the side of the actuator that bolts to the turbo, the head being the side that your line goes to for either pressure or vacuum. Now things can get interesting if we talk about a dual port actuator, those have to ports for pressure / vacuum control, so one side will pull the rod, other will push it. You gain a little bit more control with the wastegate, but there are some trade offs too, harder to tune, and they tend to give you more surge if not set up right.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Interesting. I still don't understand, though. Is this just for giggles, or is there a benefit to be had? I didn't think there were any issues with the stock wastegate functionality.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think there is room for improvement.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
I think there is room for improvement.
I'm not trying to be argumentative or invalidate your claim, but what do you think it would improve?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
better holding power up in the higher rpm's, should help with the bottom end as well. Big thing will be getting it dialed in with tuning.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
better holding power up in the higher rpm's, should help with the bottom end as well. Big thing will be getting it dialed in with tuning.
Is there a lack of holding power with the stock setup?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sure there is to an extent, figure it was designed for a certain pressure. We come along throw a tune at it and increase boost by five or more lbs, so drive pressure has to go up to. What goes in has to come out.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
I guess it's not something I hear about very often unless it's broken and not spooling at all, or it's too small causing boost creep.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not looking to gain a lot, more of a experiment you could say since I'm Finally putting the 3.0 chargers on mine. Yeah, there listed, just not on the car, LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
I'm not looking to gain a lot, more of a experiment you could say since I'm Finally putting the 3.0 chargers on mine. Yeah, there listed, just not on the car, LOL.
I've always been curious about how well the flapper style internal wastegates work. I have to assume a tight seal isn't overly critical, but I wonder if the slider type wouldn't help spool a little quicker, assuming the flapper type does indeed leak at 100% duty cycle. I don't see it running at 100% duty cycle very often other than initial spool up, though, so I don't know if there would be much benefit once you're into the power. I feel like these tiny turbos would blow apart or burn up pretty quickly if they were run at 100% duty cycle for very long at higher rpm. I'm totally speculating, though.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They seem to hold up pretty good, truth will be once I have my 2.7's off. They've been through hell, seen a few 27 lb pulls that weren't intended, LOL. After a year of trial n error I've got the boost control figured out and can keep things in the 20 21 lb zone pretty easy at the same time still making 500 lbs of torque. I'm gonna have a fun time getting these 3.0 chargers dialed in, but I already have a plan once I get to that point. Have to factor in a set of catted down pipes also, its not just gonna be a simple turbo swap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts