Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I originally thought that my PTU was leaking and after 2 weeks at the dealer it's finally "fixed." Check out the attached receipt. I hope it's readable since I'm on the mobile version... here goes nothin.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
****!

I suspect I have an oil leak that two dealers can't seem to find.

There is oil leaking from somewhere but they just keep telling me that its from a sloppy oil change dealer 1 did. So I guess I get to wait it out and see what happens. But I have it documented that they looked and found nothing. So yea...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
****!

I suspect I have an oil leak that two dealers can't seem to find.

There is oil leaking from somewhere but they just keep telling me that its from a sloppy oil change dealer 1 did. So I guess I get to wait it out and see what happens. But I have it documented that they looked and found nothing. So yea...
Next time you're at the dealer, have them do the black light dye inspection (you can see that they performed it on my receipt.) It's worth a try.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Next time you're at the dealer, have them do the black light dye inspection (you can see that they performed it on my receipt.) It's worth a try.
I will have to ask about this.

If one didn't let things drain down well before removing the oil filter I could see that running everywhere on the "front right" corner of the engine--the corner of the engine closest to the passenger seat. It doesn't take a ton of oil to make a big mess. Oil filter housing is the smal black dome near that corner with a 27mm hex on top.

As well, if you don't remove the cover under the car the stream from the drain plug could run onto that and again make a big mess. Since that's that cloth/fiber material it will soak in.
I did think "maybe it really was just bad oil change" so I opened the hood and removed the engine cover, which did have some oil residue on it. Looked around the filter and no oil at all. Not even a small drip on the side of the engine. I turned a flashlight on and looked a that side of the block and still nothing. Now I realize it may be hard to see all that. That being what it is I will just have to get it on ramps and take off the lower cover and see what I can actually. I just can't imagine after two dealer stops, to which they both have "cleaned" up the mess and about 1K miles driver there would still be oil leaking. Also I am not losing oil as far as the dipstick is telling me.

But alas I will keep an eye on it and see! Its all covered under warranty anyway so :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
I am glad to see they replaced the pan as well. It is the recommended procedure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am glad to see they replaced the pan as well. It is the recommended procedure.
No you destroy the oil pan prying it away from the block. That RTV they use is some really high temperature stuff. Mine had about 2-3 inch gap where the RTV never bonded with the surface of the pan. Hope your front cover doesn't leak.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had this happen to mine. Has 3k miles on it and i went to change the oil and before I touched anything I noticed oil leaking on the oil plug and then up by where the pan meets the block. Took it into the dealer and they did the black light thing and said the problem was the oil plug. They called me to tell me that and said while it was up on the hoist they could change the oil for me for $40. I said no and when I went to pick it up they had put new oil in it but didn't change the filter. They put a new plug in and then smeared some RTV on the PTU drain plug. Now 3 weeks later I took it back because I noticed oil seeping out of the plug area again. This time they said oil seepage is normal on these 2.7s and sent me home. That true or do I just have a sucky dealer?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I noticed a tiny amount of seepage during my change at 3k. I would just pay attention to your oil level. Remember that you have to give the motor 15 minutes after shut down before you get an accurate reading.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had this happen to mine. Has 3k miles on it and i went to change the oil and before I touched anything I noticed oil leaking on the oil plug and then up by where the pan meets the block. Took it into the dealer and they did the black light thing and said the problem was the oil plug. They called me to tell me that and said while it was up on the hoist they could change the oil for me for $40. I said no and when I went to pick it up they had put new oil in it but didn't change the filter. They put a new plug in and then smeared some RTV on the PTU drain plug. Now 3 weeks later I took it back because I noticed oil seeping out of the plug area again. This time they said oil seepage is normal on these 2.7s and sent me home. That true or do I just have a sucky dealer?
That's unacceptable. PTU or oil pan leaks are not suitable. Given how little fluid the PTU contains and the stresses it sees, the leak needs to be fixed.
Once properly fixed, it should last a long time. I got 90K miles on my Flex's PTU after a fixed leak without issue and so far have gone 2K on the Sport post fix with no recurrence of the leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had to bring mine in today. just a bit over 1000 miles. Dealer says that rear main seal is leaking. Stand by for more information once repair is complete.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Seems like quite a few issues with oil pans and seals. We should get a running total of all issues and keep track of them if someone already hasn't

1 - 13 of 13 Posts