Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Hi CG. How many miles on your Fusion Sport? Assuming the cooled/ventilated eats in the Fusion have filters, have you replaced the seat filters (if you at at/past the required mileage)? If you are up in mileage, the filters may be clogged.

Good luck.
Ford stopped using actual filters on the Explorer and Taurus and when you go to buy a new filter, its just a plastic grate. Not sure if our Fusions have filters, I recall the intake not being designed correctly causing it to recirculate the heat from the peltier

·
Registered
622 Posts
Ford stopped using actual filters on the Explorer and Taurus and when you go to buy a new filter, its just a plastic grate. Not sure if our Fusions have filters, I recall the intake not being designed correctly causing it to recirculate the heat from the peltier
A quick look in the 2019 Fusion Owners Manual (not a bad idea for owners to do...;)) gives the definitive answer:

"Climate controlled seat air filter replacement
Your vehicle is equipped with lifetime air filters that are integrated with the seats. Regular maintenance or replacement is not needed."

So...there go my hopes that a filter change might help our forum members experiencing diminished seat cooling/ventilation.

·
Registered
512 Posts
A quick look in the 2019 Fusion Owners Manual (not a bad idea for owners to do...;)) gives the definitive answer:

Your vehicle is equipped with lifetime air filters that are integrated with the seats. Regular maintenance or replacement is not needed."

So...there go my hopes that a filter change might help our forum members experiencing diminished seat cooling/ventilation.
When the 2017 Fusion models started shipping, this forum could have been called "my cooled seats are not cooling". :). Seriously, it got a ton of remarks - some guy made retrofit parts to supposedly fix the problem but required tearing the seat down to install. Glad some are having good success with cooled seats. Maybe I'll give the dealership another crack at it - see if they have learned anything new about it in the last couple of years.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

I looked at the blower units on Tasca and there's one for the bottom and one for the back. Both have a mesh screen over the intake fans which I presume are the filters. Its a terrible design compared to the one I had on the SHO which sucked air straight from the bottom via an actual filter element. When Ford switched to a plastic grille as the filter(superseding the filter element part) people said the Range zrover or zland rover filters would fit.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
281 Posts
When the 2017 Fusion models started shipping, this forum could have been called "my cooled seats are not cooling". :). Seriously, it got a ton of remarks - some guy made retrofit parts to supposedly fix the problem but required tearing the seat down to install. Glad some are having good success with cooled seats. Maybe I'll give the dealership another crack at it - see if they have learned anything new about it in the last couple of years.
I saw online that some F150 owners had a similar problem, which turned out to be faulty ductwork.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I looked at the blower units on Tasca and there's one for the bottom and one for the back. Both have a mesh screen over the intake fans which I presume are the filters. Its a terrible design compared to the one I had on the SHO which sucked air straight from the bottom via an actual filter element. When Ford switched to a plastic grille as the filter(superseding the filter element part) people said the Range zrover or zland rover filters would fit.
Just looked at some old notes from 2018 when I had it in for cooled seats not working properly. Dealer told me there was a TSB for a programming problem, and that is was corrected. I am skeptical but may give the dealer another shot when it is in next. I am out of the 3 yr warranty - but have the Ford extended warranty. Anyone have an idea if something like this would be covered under the extended warranty?

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
It was 90F+ ambient yesterday and I didn't have my A/C running (windows shut, sunroof shut, etc...) for datalogging/testing. I had to turn on my seat chiller and set it to the lowest setting. It didn't heat my back and I could feel some cool air coming up from below. So at least on mine, I have to use the lowest setting. Otherwise if I use the highest or medium setting, the back will get hot after awhile.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It was 90F+ ambient yesterday and I didn't have my A/C running (windows shut, sunroof shut, etc...) for datalogging/testing. I had to turn on my seat chiller and set it to the lowest setting. It didn't heat my back and I could feel some cool air coming up from below. So at least on mine, I have to use the lowest setting. Otherwise if I use the highest or medium setting, the back will get hot after awhile.
Peltiers dissipate a huge amount of wattage so I imagine all that waste energy has to be carried off somehow. So if there's some issue with the ducting or whatever it's using to carry off the waste heat, that's probably why it's overheating on the higher settings. Maybe it works well enough to keep it cool on the lower setting, but on higher settings something is going wrong there, in the cars where that's a problem.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Yes I believe the fix is to re-route the ducting to get more air from outside the seat. But it's a lot of work involved.

My SHO's perforated seats were all leather/pleather and on the highest chill setting, it would freeze your butt! Those were really good and comfortable seats!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Just looked at some old notes from 2018 when I had it in for cooled seats not working properly. Dealer told me there was a TSB for a programming problem, and that is was corrected. I am skeptical but may give the dealer another shot when it is in next. I am out of the 3 yr warranty - but have the Ford extended warranty. Anyone have an idea if something like this would be covered under the extended warranty?
Hi CG. There are various levels of Ford ESP/FordProtect plans, from basic Powertrain coverage, up to the PremiumCare Plan. I don't recall at the moment whether there are one or two mid-level coverage plans in-between.

If you have the top level Premium Care Plan, it would be covered. I do not recall what the coverage inclusions/exclusions are with the mid level plans.

You can call FordProtect Plan Customer Service and ask what your plan covers (have your VIN handy). Here is the link, the Customer Service number is at the top right: https://fordprotect.ford.com/

Good luck.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hi CG. There are various levels of Ford ESP/FordProtect plans, from basic Powertrain coverage, up to the PremiumCare Plan. I don't recall at the moment whether there are one or two mid-level coverage plans in-between.

If you have the top level Premium Care Plan, it would be covered. I do not recall what the coverage inclusions/exclusions are with the mid level plans.

You can call FordProtect Plan Customer Service and ask what your plan covers (have your VIN handy). Here is the link, the Customer Service number is at the top right: https://fordprotect.ford.com/

Good luck.
Thank you bbf2530. I need to pull my plan and take a look or check the website. I think I got the Cadillac version coverage (pun intended) including coverage for the headlights, based on it being a new model and all the new-ish tech. The extended warranties rarely seem to pay off as cars are so much more reliable today.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Thank you bbf2530. I need to pull my plan and take a look or check the website. I think I got the Cadillac version coverage (pun intended) including coverage for the headlights, based on it being a new model and all the new-ish tech. The extended warranties rarely seem to pay off as cars are so much more reliable today.
My Dad (40 years or so at General Motors) told me, right before he died a few years ago, that Lincoln was better than Cadillac, and that he liked Fords better nowadays than GM. I just had to mention that, because whenever someone uses that expression now, I think of him. :)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts