Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,535 Posts
It won't be cheap or easy, unfortunately. Cooled seats have different seat cushions, in addition to blowers and air ducts. Not sure if the wiring is even there, so you'd have to check on that. The cooled seats work through an SCME module that you'd need, and you'd have to find a new FCIM that has the buttons on it. Then of course, programming has to be done.

Reactions: JonFredFUU

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yeah, when I bought mine, I definitely wanted the cooled seats, versus the inflatable rear seat belts (just another marketing scheme like the capless gas filler, IMHO)...

·
Super Moderator
1,535 Posts
... versus the inflatable rear seat belts (just another marketing scheme like the capless gas filler, IMHO)...
How are the inflatable seatbelts a marketing scheme?! They distribute force during a crash to a wider surface area creating less pressure on the body, and help hold you in one spot as well in cases such as a rollover.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: LeVeL and MattQ

·
Registered
333 Posts
How are the inflatable seatbelts a marketing scheme?! They distribute force during a crash to a wider surface area creating less pressure on the body, and help hold you in one spot as well in cases such as a rollover.

My kids are both college graduates, so the chances of someone sitting in the back seats are slim to none. In my case, given a choice between cooled front seats and inflatable rear seat belts, it was a no brainer. I think I'd rather pay money to have a cap on the fuel filler system than inflatable rear seat belts...

·
Super Moderator
1,535 Posts
My kids are both college graduates, so the chances of someone sitting in the back seats are slim to none. In my case, given a choice between cooled front seats and inflatable rear seat belts, it was a no brainer. I think I'd rather pay money to have a cap on the fuel filler system than inflatable rear seat belts...
I agree with that, I have no kids, and when I do this isn't the car they'll be in. It's not worth it. But that doesn't mean it's a marketing scheme because it doesn't apply to you. That's why they're optional, and relatively cheap.

Reactions: LeVeL

·
Registered
333 Posts
I agree with that, I have no kids, and when I do this isn't the car they'll be in. It's not worth it. But that doesn't mean it's a marketing scheme because it doesn't apply to you. That's why they're optional, and relatively cheap.

So you wouldn't put kids in the back because it doesn't have inflatable seat belts? Mmmmm...kay...

·
Super Moderator
1,535 Posts
So you wouldn't put kids in the back because it doesn't have inflatable seat belts? Mmmmm...kay...
Or, I have two cars for myself, my Fusion is my "nice weather car" that stays garaged all week, and they would go in the daily driver... No need to twist words.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
280 Posts
It won't be cheap or easy, unfortunately. Cooled seats have different seat cushions, in addition to blowers and air ducts. Not sure if the wiring is even there, so you'd have to check on that. The cooled seats work through an SCME module that you'd need, and you'd have to find a new FCIM that has the buttons on it. Then of course, programming has to be done.
Sorry to revive this old post, but I wondered if you had any new info on this. I found some cheap seats with heating and cooling from a dead FuSpo online (rest it's soul) as well as an old thread on 2GFusions where someone did this to a lower trim Fusion.

Do you know if we have the wiring and where the SCME module is located? Also, would it be possible to only use on screen buttons for the cooled seats and not need to replace the FCIM?

Finally, assuming this is just too complicated, do any of you folks know of good aftermarket solutions to the issue of sweaty backs in hot Utahn weather?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Sorry to revive this old post, but I wondered if you had any new info on this. I found some cheap seats with heating and cooling from a dead FuSpo online (rest it's soul) as well as an old thread on 2GFusions where someone did this to a lower trim Fusion.

Do you know if we have the wiring and where the SCME module is located? Also, would it be possible to only use on screen buttons for the cooled seats and not need to replace the FCIM?

Finally, assuming this is just too complicated, do any of you folks know of good aftermarket solutions to the issue of sweaty backs in hot Utahn weather?
I haven't done it (mine's fully loaded), but a good rule of thumb with Ford (or probably any manufacturer, really) is this:

If it didn't come equipped with a feature, the wiring is probably not there.

That's for many reasons. Material savings, reduction of liability, labor savings, possible other reasons I'm not thinking of offhand.

·
Registered
512 Posts

You should be aware the OEM cooled seats don't work so well for many owners. Check the forum for dets. Not worthless, but approaching worthless especially for the back cushion.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You should be aware the OEM cooled seats don't work so well. Check the forum for dets. Not worthless, but approaching worthless especially for the back cushion.
I must have the only FFS where the cooled seats work well. And it's a good thing, too, since I live in the South! But seriously, mine work really well. They start cooling almost immediately and do a great job. It's very noticeable.

And yes, I did knock on some wood while writing this post, because I want them to keep working. 😉

·
Super Moderator
1,535 Posts

No I don't have any new info aside from what's in the 2GF thread already, but pretty much everything you need is there. At most, you may want to get your own copy of the wiring diagrams. Keep in mind he has a low model so more wiring was needed.

I don't know if all Sports have the wiring or not as I ordered mine with the seat option from factory, but as Engineer said, always just assume they left out unnecessary wires. Worst case, if you get the seats, and if there's a wire on the seat that doesn't go to something in your car's harness, just look at the diagram to see where you need to add to.

As for not replacing your APIM, I am honestly not sure. The buttons can be enabled on the APIM for sure, so I'd lean towards "yes it's possible without a swap" but that's just my guess.

·
Super Moderator
1,535 Posts
As for the cooled seats "not working well" - it's definitely known that the TED in the back section gets warmer after a little while, but I wouldn't say they don't work well. I use them all the time, and now I'd consider it a 'need' in any future car of mine wherever possible. It does help if you have the floor vents on too - I wonder if people use those since they usually have to be manually selected with A/C.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I found that keeping the seat coolers on the lowest setting prevents/reduces the chances of them overheating the back area.

I've been driving without A/C in this 90F+ ambient temperature doing testing/datalogging. Windows and sunroof sealed shut, just relying on ambient venting.

·
Registered
512 Posts
As for the cooled seats "not working well" - it's definitely known that the TED in the back section gets warmer after a little while, but I wouldn't say they don't work well. I use them all the time, and now I'd consider it a 'need' in any future car of mine wherever possible. It does help if you have the floor vents on too - I wonder if people use those since they usually have to be manually selected with A/C.
You guys with good seat coolers are the lucky ones! Maybe Ford made some kind of running change? Or maybe there was a bad batch of parts? I’ve tried everything. Adjusting settings, etc. dealer took a shot at it early on and basically told me - it is what it is. In later models they dropped “cooled” seat language and called it something else. It’s in the old treads here. I get the famous wet pants, so the bottom works well. The back cushions quit after a few minutes and then supply zero cool. And I live in a very moderate place, as far as temperature goes…

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
The Taurus seat coolers had the vent intake on the seat bottom. So when the peltier chiller is turned on and you have the AC blowing on the floor vents, you can freeze your butt.

·
Registered
622 Posts
You guys with good seat coolers are the lucky ones! Maybe Ford made some kind of running change? Or maybe there was a bad batch of parts? I’ve tried everything. Adjusting settings, etc. dealer took a shot at it early on and basically told me - it is what it is. In later models they dropped “cooled” seat language and called it something else. It’s in the old treads here. I get the famous wet pants, so the bottom works well. The back cushions quit after a few minutes and then supply zero cool. And I live in a very moderate place, as far as temperature goes…
Hi CG. How many miles on your Fusion Sport? Assuming the cooled/ventilated eats in the Fusion have filters, have you replaced the seat filters (if you are at/past the required mileage)? If you are up in mileage, the filters may be clogged, which would detrimentally affect performance.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts