Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have to fill ya in with a back story first...I had a 98 in high school and loved it. Was forced to sell it when I got orders to Alaska and have been on and off checking online for one every since. It is very difficult to find an original owner, low miles (less than 5k a year), all stock, all maintenance records, and clean car fax specimen for less than $10k.
But I found one! The original owner is late 40's early 50's has one of of those 3 car tandem garages with the rubber floors and enormous cleaning carts. She said " I never had any kids and this is my baby," and it shows! She has every receipt and every original manufacturer piece of paper even the order sheet. Just did the first brake job and new BFG G-force comp 2's on 3000 miles ago (at 79k, goes to show how easy she was on the brakes.) and was asking $7,500. Offered her $6500 cash and couldn't pass it up.

On a negative note, it's not any faster than the Fusion. (Or at least doesn't feel like it.)

Attachments

Reactions: RockinZ28

·
Registered
206 Posts
Can't say I blame you. I don't know much about them, but I always thoughy they were cool when I was younger, so congrats on the purchase.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just have to fill ya in with a back story first...I had a 98 in high school and loved it. Was forced to sell it when I got orders to Alaska and have been on and off checking online for one every since. It is very difficult to find an original owner, low miles (less than 5k a year), all stock, all maintenance records, and clean car fax specimen for less than $10k.
But I found one! The original owner is late 40's early 50's has one of of those 3 car tandem garages with the rubber floors and enormous cleaning carts. She said " I never had any kids and this is my baby," and it shows! She has every receipt and every original manufacturer piece of paper even the order sheet. Just did the first brake job and new BFG G-force comp 2's on 3000 miles ago (at 79k, goes to show how easy she was on the brakes.) and was asking $7,500. Offered her $6500 cash and couldn't pass it up.

On a negative note, it's not any faster than the Fusion. (Or at least doesn't feel like it.)
Awesome. Ever since I got my FS I've been checking classifieds for a clean 4th gen. Something with like 600+ rwhp tho :D. Looks like a great find, especially for that price. Sold mine when I left CA, but I have returned...

Nice. Stock for stock they are very close. Around 13.8
I'd say that would be on the high end. Vast majority would do 13.4 or better bone stock. Many did high 12s with a fast gear rower.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Im not Camaro fan, but Im a car guy and the 4th gens are probably the best to modify. I think 98s got the all aluminum LS1 block and once exhaust work is done, they sound devine.
Looks clean Airwelldone so lets hear the plans for it.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Dangit! I shouldn't have clicked the picture. I thought you were talking about a stang... :(

I just did something similar. The first car I ever bought was when I was stationed in WA in the Marines. It was a 1990 Mustang Lx Sport. It was a red 5 speed with a factory sunroof. That was in '05. While I had it, I had the engine rebuilt, fitted it with a mean sounding cam, shorties, catless x-pipe, flomaster 40s, and cobra rims. About 6 or 7 years ago, I traded it for a POS '69 F-100, and have regretted it since. I've gone through several cars since, but the old Redrocket always held a special place in my heart. Many many fond memories were made in that car.

A few days ago, I caught the mustang bug again because a co-worker buddy brought his '12 Boss to work after getting his new exhaust. Naturally, I hopped on craigslist to fantasize about a new v8, and I found it. There was only one picture, but I knew it was her. Three days later, I had my Redrocket back, and I'm not letting her go again.

Attachments

Reactions: uncletatty and 1153

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dangit! I shouldn't have clicked the picture. I thought you were talking about a stang... :(

I just did something similar. The first car I ever bought was when I was stationed in WA in the Marines. It was a 1990 Mustang Lx Sport. It was a red 5 speed with a factory sunroof. That was in '05. While I had it, I had the engine rebuilt, fitted it with a mean sounding cam, shorties, catless x-pipe, flomaster 40s, and cobra rims. About 6 or 7 years ago, I traded it for a POS '69 F-100, and have regretted it since. I've gone through several cars since, but the old Redrocket always held a special place in my heart. Many many fond memories were made in that car.

A few days ago, I caught the mustang bug again because a co-worker buddy brought his '12 Boss to work after getting his new exhaust. Naturally, I hopped on craigslist to fantasize about a new v8, and I found it. There was only one picture, but I knew it was her. Three days later, I had my Redrocket back, and I'm not letting her go again.
Nice ride man! Good looking car!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not Camaro fan, but Im a car guy and the 4th gens are probably the best to modify. I think 98s got the all aluminum LS1 block and once exhaust work is done, they sound devine.
Looks clean Airwelldone so lets hear the plans for it.
That's a great question... one part of me says spray it with a correctly set up 100 wet shot until something breaks (which could be a while because several guys on the "LS1tech" forum have been spraying LS1's for years with no issues) or.... slowly start adding basic breather mods, but then again, I would rather have an 11 or 12 second sleeper Fusion than an 11 or 12 second Camaro. So I could just keep the SS pretty stock and preserve the little worth that it has left in it.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
My plan is to eventually build my fox into a nice, driveable road course car and use the fusion as the DD sleeper.

I agree, it may take you a while to break an LS with just a hundo shot. I'm a blue blooded Ford fanboi, but you'll never hear me belittle an LS engine. I'd never put one in my fox, but I understand why some do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts