Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adaptive Cruise with Stop and Go..... Few days in

Preface: I drive 54 miles one way to work, about 48 of those miles are highway through some of the worst stop and go traffic in SE Michigan. I've done the commute for going on 7 years now, and It's a grind. I'm a cruise control guy through and through. The less I have to touch the gas/brake the better. I would find myself using the +/- buttons to control speed and trying to judge distance, but during peak traffic hours it just wasn't feasible.

Fast Forward to ACC: I've talked to a few folks that have had it before, and they say they enjoy it, with the exception of the full stop and resume. Most didn't have it and said it was great unless your in heavy traffic that stops frequently.

Day1: Got on the highway about 7 am, knowing full well that traffic was going to be a female dog. As soon as I enter the on ramp, on went the cruise and I quickly got to 75. I set the following distance at 3 bars (I think that's like 1.8 seconds gap). The first 5-10 miles is pretty smooth, with merging traffic that gets thicker. I was IMPRESSED to say the least. The ACC and auto braking was very smooth and consistent. No jerkiness butt puckering moments. I even changed lanes a few times to find that it immediately begins to accelerate back to speed if slowed, as to not piss off people in the lane your merging into. Here's where things get a wee bit nerve pinching... coming up on what I know to be a slow down point, we are cruising at about 72 mph, all of the sudden I can see brake lights far up and know we are going to be hitting the binders hard. Naturally I wanted to back off the holding pattern and coast into the stop, but I hovered my foot over the brake and let the car do it's job. Sure enough... 72 to 5 mph real quick, the car had a bit of a delayed braking response and got on them pretty hard. We slowed rather quickly, but the car held it's own. Time gap seemed to be maintained throughout the whole process. There were a few jerky moments, but most of it was smooth and controlled. The car resumed gracefully up to 45 or so, until the next slow down which ultimately was to a complete stop. It was perfect... all the way to a stop, left a respectable 1 car gap, and the resumed as we were only sedentary for a second or two.

Day 2-4: I can't live without it... It is a must on the highway for me. I don't have to mind the gaps between me and car in front. Changing lanes is a breeze, cornering on the highway next to cars doesn't affect it. I have yet to have a bad experience. Again, this is no replacement for the person operating the vehicle and you need to be aware of what's going on, but it definitely makes easier and less stressful.

Few observations:
  • Haven't figured out the ideal time gap (number of bars)
  • Seems to be slightly delayed when traffic slows immediately/quickly
  • putting on your blinker and changing lanes immediately begins the acceleration process if necessary
  • Acceleration is smooth
  • It's eased my stress

Money well spent.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I appreciate your thoughts. Sounds like it functions as I'd expected. I haven't tried mine out yet, but will be leaving on a 1,000 mile trip next week.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love that it works so well for you. I'm really really excited to not drive this car :)
Haha, yeah it's nice for those that have long commutes via highway. I did try it in city driving, and it did well, but don't see it being practical. Now, if someone could figure out stop light detection.... then we'd be in business.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to the manual you can turn off the adaptive part of the cruise control.

Ken
You can, it is a setting with the DIC on the left side of the speedo. It is buried in there somewhere, I stumbled upon it the other day. But that begs the question, why would you turn it off if you paid for it...:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have lane keeping assist? I'm wondering how good it is with ACC, whether it can do something like Tesla Autopilot to some extent. Some other manufacturers can sort of do this with just ACC and LKAS (i.e. Infiniti, Acura).

·
Registered
230 Posts
We have LKAS and ACC on our 2015 Edge. If I follow another car at about 60 mph, straight and without wind, the car can drive itself for about 4 minutes (I have not tried longer.) Any change to the wind or a turn and I have to take control. So no Autopilot here.
Note: After about 15 seconds the car warns you to put your hands back on the wheel and will keep yelling at you until you do.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have LKAS and ACC on our 2015 Edge. If I follow another car at about 60 mph, straight and without wind, the car can drive itself for about 4 minutes (I have not tried longer.) Any change to the wind or a turn and I have to take control. So no Autopilot here.
Note: After about 15 seconds the car warns you to put your hands back on the wheel and will keep yelling at you until you do.
I have only done this while on an empty stretch of the road. The car seems to sort of bounce around the lane a little bit. I do notice, if you put on the max setting for LKAS, it tends be a bit jerky.

Do you have lane keeping assist? I'm wondering how good it is with ACC, whether it can do something like Tesla Autopilot to some extent. Some other manufacturers can sort of do this with just ACC and LKAS (i.e. Infiniti, Acura).
The LKAS is more of a informational and corrective awareness feature. It vibrates the steering wheel and/or will torque steer back in the direction of the lane you were traveling. It does not drive itself and is not comparable to the Tesla autopilot. However, the ACC is very much useful in thick traffic or for someone that has a long commute via expressway... like me:D

·
Registered
230 Posts
And LKAS will show you a coffee mug if you are getting tired. (I have seen it in construction where you cross the lines a lot.) Turning off LKAS does not stop the mug from showing.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just use your turn signal, it turns off LKAS. Or stay awake.
haha... using blinkers around the Metro Detroit area puts you into a minority group of drivers. I actually turn of the LKAS anyway, I find it to be a bit annoying when I want to do some spirited driving around town.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I concur on the overall good quality of the ACC system. We also have a new Honda Pilot, and I can say without hesitation that the system in the Fusion Sport is far better. The Honda system is jerky, has massive delays, and generally makes you look like you don't know what the **** you are doing on the road. I expected something similar with the Ford system, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's smooth, predictable, and easy to adjust. I use it all the time now.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was very skeptical about the stop/go cruise and didn't really want it based on the price. I picked my Sport up Saturday and I am both impressed and hooked. At first I would keep my foot hovering over the brake pedal but after about an hour of observing it work I relaxed and enjoyed the ride. The only thing that kind of freaked me out is the buttons on my '16 Fusion are different than the '17 and I was hitting the wrong buttons at first. It does make driving on the highway much more relaxed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Some of the comments in this thread refer to earlier versions of ACC. The "Stop and Go" function makes it a whole different animal. I think the difference is that is isn't limited to just control of the throttle and handing it back to the driver -- it will brake, and brake hard if necessary (e.g., if cut off). It does an excellent job of keeping track of which lane your vehicle (and surrounding traffic) is occupying and will blow by a car in the other lane without hesitation. I drove it on the Ohio Turnpike at night in moderate traffic in the rain, including passing maneuvers. It performed perfectly. Definitely a major stress reliever.

I don't see the Lane Keeping capable of steering the vehicle -- it catches you if you get too far off the line, but I've only tried it in the normal mode so far.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't see the Lane Keeping capable of steering the vehicle -- it catches you if you get too far off the line, but I've only tried it in the normal mode so far.
Buried in one of the menus is the option to change the options:
  • Alert - provides a steering wheel vibration
  • Aid - using the power steering to torque steer you back into your lane
  • both - uses a combination of both vibrate and torque steer (vibration won't occurr until you have drifter further out of designated lane)

Here's the video explaining it. But yes, it will not steer the vehicle and keep you in the lane, it just provides assistance to help you stay within the lane.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lane keep will not steer the car. That's not it's purpose. It has two modes: Alert and Assist (or is it Aid?).

In Alert mode it watches the lines on the pavement (via a camera up in the rear view mirror assembly) and vibrates the steering wheel if you veer too far outside of the lines in your lane. The display on the dash shows dotted lines on either side of the 'car' (same car used for ACC) and shows them grey (no lines seen), green (lines seen, you're in them), yellow (lines seen and you're getting close to the edge) and red (lines seen, you're outside - wheel should be vibrating).

In Assist/Aid mode the steering gets easier towards the direction that would put you back inside the lines, if you're outside (not sure if it's when red or red and yellow, but I think just red). It will not drive the car back to the lines, but 'encourages' you to get back in the lines by making it easier to steer in that direction.

Alert (IMO) is great and if you're always in the lines never does anything to get your attention. Assist/Aid (IMO again) is very disconcerting in that the wheel gets so loose it feels (to me) that it's no longer connected to the wheel in the direction it wants you to seer. That being said, I drive a lot by feel so YMMV.

AFAIK LKA doesn't have the power to drive the car/steer the wheels. It's just the feed back mechanism used to make the road feel come through from the wheels through the EPAS (Electric Power Assist Steering).

The next gen steering system from Ford will start getting variable ratio steering soon (don't think any have it yet) which will be great for pretty much all cars (but have less to do with actually controlling the car than LKA)

·
Registered
186 Posts
After 2,300 miles, many of them on the highway, I'm a huge fan of ACC. It's very good, both on the highway and in stop-and-go traffic. In particular, it's very good at separating traffic in your lane from other lanes.When a blocking vehicle moves into another lane, it will blow by them like they're stopped -- exactly what I'd do. It never gets tired, never gets distracted, and makes highway driving a lot less stressful. For me, it makes cruise control useful again. Lane keeping -- not so much.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts