Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent 3 days up in Canada this week for work. Day 2 I had some free time, like all day. There was a Subaru dealer across the street from the hotel. I had to go look and kick some tires. I'm still not 100% convinced I want a Fuspo.

So of course the Salesman was trying to sell me a Subaru. I have no idea how they sell any cars up there, no window stickers in any of the cars, and no test drives allowed unless you have bought the car already. I told him it was like getting married without having the sex before, who would do that?

I told him what I was looking at (Fuspo). So he tells me the WRX is a rally car, the steering is very tight and responsive, if you sneeze, the car responds instantly(in the back of my mind I am thinking it's the tires that are most responsible for that). I told him I don't look good in a flat brim ballcap pulled over my ears(reference to many younger Subaru drivers) but I am still keeping the WRX as a possible plan B if I can not get a deal worked on a Fuspo.

We got to talking about AWD. I am under the impression that the Fuspo is AWD up to about 35mph and then it mellows out into FWD. Is this correct? How much of a big difference will/would it make? In my mind, the AWD is great for wet or snow or slippery conditions, and highly doubtful you would be getting much faster than 35 in bad conditions so AWD would serve it's purpose at those speeds. I have not owned a FWD vehicle since 1988. Have no idea if they have improved (obviously about 90% of vehicles today are FWD so it must work just fine).

So if you have the time, could you school me on the AWD system used in the Fuspo?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Basically put our cars do not have a full time AWD in the traditional sense. The power delivery to the rear can only peak at about 50% and is routed on an as need basis, taking into account, wheel slip and throttle position. The Subaru AWD system is arguably better and more advanced, but for the kind of driving the majority of people do, ours works very well.

I live in Manitoba and deal with significant winter conditions and it works very well, especially given the performance based three season tires the car has from factory.

If you want to rip it up on gravel and soft dirt roads or slog through mud, the Subie would be a better choice.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically put our cars do not have a full time AWD in the traditional sense. The power delivery to the rear can only peak at about 50% and is routed on an as need basis, taking into account, wheel slip and throttle position. The Subaru AWD system is arguably better and more advanced, but for the kind of driving the majority of people do, ours works very well.

I live in Manitoba and deal with significant winter conditions and it works very well, especially given the performance based three season tires the car has from factory.

If you want to rip it up on gravel and soft dirt roads or slog through mud, the Subie would be a better choice.
I was over in Ontario, Stratford to be exact. I had a 450 mile drive home, so plenty of time to think about a few things. I have had a DL for 40 years. I have never been in a so called drag race or race against the clock on a track, have never done burnouts, my vehicles have been for transportation and not racing. I have always thought about wear and tear on transmissions and tires ect. Not that there is anything wrong with driving a race car as a daily driver, but either vehicle I spoke of in post one, I don't see myself as ripping up anything in dirt and gravel. I know, I live a sheltered boring life. Thus is the life of a commercial driver.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I was over in Ontario, Stratford to be exact. I had a 450 mile drive home, so plenty of time to think about a few things. I have had a DL for 40 years. I have never been in a so called drag race or race against the clock on a track, have never done burnouts, my vehicles have been for transportation and not racing. I have always thought about wear and tear on transmissions and tires ect. Not that there is anything wrong with driving a race car as a daily driver, but either vehicle I spoke of in post one, I don't see myself as ripping up anything in dirt and gravel. I know, I live a sheltered boring life. Thus is the life of a commercial driver.
Based on that, I'd say you should join the FuSpo crowd then!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yup based on what you just said Fusion Sport is the better car for you. It is better built, smoother, faster, and low key for the most part.

Reactions: MattQ

·
Super Moderator
1,605 Posts
In addition to what Kaylee said, the Sport's AWD is always active from a stop up to about 40MPH, after that it turns to FWD. However, if you mash the throttle (higher than maybe 60%, give or take) or if there's any slip detected, it'll go back to AWD no matter what speed you're going.

As far as the WRX is concerned, if you're main plan is daily driving, I strongly suggest seeing if someone will let you try a WRX first. My buddy has a '17 WRX Limited, and it's a good car and all, but the ride is incredibly firm and there's a ton of wind & road noise - even worse than a Focus ST. Obviously everyone has their own opinion, tho.

Reactions: WHT DVL 3%ER

·
Registered
451 Posts
I did a LOT of mental comparisons between the WRX and the Fusion Sport myself. I was in the same field deciding between the WRX, Fusion Sport, and actually the Legacy 3.6R (another option that you may not think of)

My buddy got a WRX (2016 model). I test drove it around a bit. Didn't get to open it up though, he didn't want me to WOT it considering it only had 50 miles on it. Unfortunately I don't have any input on the AWD system, but I can give my two cents on some other things.

There are definitely different trim levels compared to the Fusion Sport. He probably had either the base model or the Premium. Interior felt "cheap" in a sense compared to the FuSport. My guess is when you get to the WRX Limited trim, that's when it becomes more "luxurious" inside. MSRP at Limited trim starts at $31,500ish. Fusion Sport starts at $33,700ish. If you're a tech geek like I am, the Fusion got a +1 and the Subaru models got a -1. The Fusion has a huge upgrade 401A option with the ability to run Android Auto and Apple Carplay. I use Android Auto every day for Waze/Google Maps.

Power Wise, The Fusion Sport is obviously faster bone stock. You're talking about a 4Cyl 2.0L Single turbo engine compared to the Fusion Sports 2.7L Twin Turbo engine. Both cars have their tuning potential.

Reliability... I can't say much. Only had my Fusion for 6 months and knock on wood, haven't ran into any issues. In general, some people experienced issues with the early production models and were fixed afterwards. You could get a better idea on the WRX's reliability by looking at Year 2015 Model and above and see if there are any issues within the 3 years its been out.

Looks... Generally, The WRX looks sporty, the Fusion Sport does not (but don't get me wrong, Fusion Sport looks **** nice!). Not sure if that makes a difference in your book. Definitely test drive a WRX as DaMiFo stated above.

The Legacy 3.6R has some kick to it. I'd place it in the same "looks" category as the Fusion (as in non-sporty look, that's the only comparison I'm referring to).

All in all, my wife didn't want me to get a WRX because it looked like a race car, and if we have kids, doesn't want car seats in there. I had to figure out an alternative. Was between the Taurus, Legacy, or Fusion. Taurus was just too old school for me.

And holy crap I just went COMPLETELY off topic, according to the subject of this post :p But I'm not about to delete everything I rambled off here. Just figured I could relate as I was in sort of the same boat.

·
Registered
293 Posts
No matter which way you put it, these cars are 1 wheel drive. They both NEED electronics to actuate the awd and limited slip "differentials". I havnt taken my fusion in dirt or snow, but wet and sandy roads have been awesome. Even mashing the trottle in a turn i swear it feels rear wheel drive. I havnt driven a new wrx but i drove maybe a 2012 and road noise was not acceptable, we bought a jeep wranger instead if that give you an idea!

Oooooo and the ride in the fusion sport is fantastic, its up there with cars twice the cost

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,605 Posts
Speaking of electronics, the WRX has the cheap Torque Vectoring like the Focus ST where it uses the brakes. My buddy just hit 20k miles and his brake pads are toast and the rotors are grooved on all 4 corners. He doesn't track it or anything, just normal normal driving on some twisty back roads and he said he definitely noticed it working overtime in the snow last winter.

A coworker of mine has an 05 WRX, my buddy's '17 isn't much better as far as ride quality or road noise.

I played with my Sport in the snow for one day, and I could get the back end to come around if I didn't jerk/touch anything too sudden to cause stability control to come on, and I also kept up with 3 Subarus in the middle of a New England blizzard.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: bigblueshock

·
Registered
100 Posts
In 2015, I really wanted a WRX..... I test drove it twice and was highly disappointed. It rides like a go kart. The speakers are TRASH and there is no type of upgraded speakers you can get. The radio looks like they went to Wal-Mart and bought a single din radio and a cheap dash kit and popped it in. You are literally paying for AWD, a boxter engine, and a Subaru logo all over....thats it. That car rides like a lowered, '94 Honda civic. (in a bad way)

I went and ordered a Focus RS. Was the first order in Texas......but......over 1 year later..... Everyone's car was being shipped while mine just sat at the dock in Germany and no one knew why. I sold my RS order to another guy(who finally received it 6 months later), sold my 2014 ST, and bought the Fusion sport i saw coming off of the delivery truck. Haven't looked back since. The Fusion has way more options than the Focus RS and the WRX, of course. I'm happy with my choice. Mainly because I think I only really wanted the RS to press the drift button. With my luck, I probably would have slid into a pothole and been really pissed off for a few months!

So..... I would not buy a WRX without test driving it first. Then think about it, and go test drive it again. Do you really want to be bouncing around in your driver's seat while you are on a smooth road? I don't. The ST was the roughest I was willing to go.

*Just my opinion*

·
Registered
206 Posts
The AWD system of the sport isn't bad, although with it being an "intelligent" system, it doesn't always respond the way I would like. I was able to introduce limited oversteer in the snow and occasionally in the rain, but there have been times, especially on dry pavement, that I've experienced substantial understeer when accelerating from a stop or slow roll. It will most certainly start throwing torque to the rear wheels at speeds above 35 mph - there's a display that visualizes this process fairly well - if you give it reason to like slippage, throttle input, steering input, etc.

From what I've heard & seen, the Subaru AWD system is a little better. One co-worker has a 17 WRX and another has an older Legacy wagon. However, at least some of their systems require replacing all 4 tires (or shaving a new tire) if one is damaged if tread depth difference exceeds a certain value (2/32" IIRC) or you risk burning up differential components.

Aftermarket support favors Subaru hands down.

However, based on what you said about your driving patterns, I think the Sport is a better all-around choice. But if you don't need the HP, perhaps an AWD 2.0 variant from Ford or Lincoln would be a decent choice.

Reactions: WHT DVL 3%ER

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I want to thank those who took the time to relate your WRX stories to me. When I think about why I am in the market for a new car, the Fusion is the right decision for me. I want some quiet, with some power that can be upgraded, that can handle some heavy snow if called upon (I have a 4WD for winter, but it had a few mechanicals that put it out of commission for a week or so last year, and work is in snow country) so AWD in the next vehicle is priority. Not into the tech at all, 'ell I sometimes still listen to AM radio.

If I could just unload my Mazda Miata, I would rapidly be in a Fuspo. I hate to trade it, I'd lose several $K on a trade.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I want to thank those who took the time to relate your WRX stories to me. When I think about why I am in the market for a new car, the Fusion is the right decision for me. I want some quiet, with some power that can be upgraded, that can handle some heavy snow if called upon (I have a 4WD for winter, but it had a few mechanicals that put it out of commission for a week or so last year, and work is in snow country) so AWD in the next vehicle is priority. Not into the tech at all, 'ell I sometimes still listen to AM radio.

If I could just unload my Mazda Miata, I would rapidly be in a Fuspo. I hate to trade it, I'd lose several $K on a trade.
I came from a 2013 WRX and bought my Sport almost a month ago. Both AWD systems are great. keep in mind the STI has a much better AWD due to limited slip which the WRX doesn't have. If you are wanting a DD then go with the Sport. you will hate driving the WRX every day especially in traffic. the cabin noise in the WRX is horrible and yes the steering is top notch but how much rallying are you really doing?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think if you ask yourself one question, it will tell you if you should be driving a WRX or a FuSpo.

Do you want manual or automatic?

If you want an automatic, then that tells you what kind of driver you are- probably not someone who would appreciate a WRX. You should be in a FuSpo. Besides, the WRX has a CVT as it's automatic tranny. Might as well not even offer an automatic if that's what it is.

The FuSpo doesn't have a manual option.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think if you ask yourself one question, it will tell you if you should be driving a WRX or a FuSpo.

Do you want manual or automatic?

If you want an automatic, then that tells you what kind of driver you are- probably not someone who would appreciate a WRX. You should be in a FuSpo. Besides, the WRX has a CVT as it's automatic tranny. Might as well not even offer an automatic if that's what it is.

The FuSpo doesn't have a manual option.
I drove a manual from 1983 to 2010. When I bought the last Mazda Miata that is for sale right now, I decided that I was done with manual shifting. The Mazda has the AT/ slap stick and paddle shifters that flat out barely work. I have tried to get the hang of them but they down shift when they should up shift (IMO) and I have no idea what the next shift will be when I try to use them. The slap stick works perfect. Bottom line, I will not be going back to manual tranny.

I may start the process of contacting about 7 dealerships and telling them this is what I want, the best price wins and see what sort of response I get.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The issue that I ran into with the WRX was that I could not get all the options I wanted on a WRX. I was told that I would need to get an STI. My next question was can I get an STI that looks like a WRX and was told no! So then I took a look at the 3.6r but it was just too slow of a car. At that point I went and bought my sport. I was considering a few other cars at the time and ended up after a few months of debate going with the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
900 Posts
Honestly, an accurate comparison would be a Legacy Spec. B or Outback XT, then you are comparing the same sized cars with about the same level of refinement. But Subaru of America (SoA) decided they didn't need to bring them to the US market.

The Impreza (WRX, STI) chassis is an economy car and can't get away from it's roots no matter how much power it gets.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I spent 3 days up in Canada this week for work. Day 2 I had some free time, like all day. There was a Subaru dealer across the street from the hotel. I had to go look and kick some tires. I'm still not 100% convinced I want a Fuspo.

So of course the Salesman was trying to sell me a Subaru. I have no idea how they sell any cars up there, no window stickers in any of the cars, and no test drives allowed unless you have bought the car already. I told him it was like getting married without having the sex before, who would do that?

I told him what I was looking at (Fuspo). So he tells me the WRX is a rally car, the steering is very tight and responsive, if you sneeze, the car responds instantly(in the back of my mind I am thinking it's the tires that are most responsible for that). I told him I don't look good in a flat brim ballcap pulled over my ears(reference to many younger Subaru drivers) but I am still keeping the WRX as a possible plan B if I can not get a deal worked on a Fuspo.

We got to talking about AWD. I am under the impression that the Fuspo is AWD up to about 35mph and then it mellows out into FWD. Is this correct? How much of a big difference will/would it make? In my mind, the AWD is great for wet or snow or slippery conditions, and highly doubtful you would be getting much faster than 35 in bad conditions so AWD would serve it's purpose at those speeds. I have not owned a FWD vehicle since 1988. Have no idea if they have improved (obviously about 90% of vehicles today are FWD so it must work just fine).

So if you have the time, could you school me on the AWD system used in the Fuspo?
I have an AWD car and besides that when it rains I can really drift:DD I don't see any problems. I agree that AWD is better for snow conditions, but imagine going in the mountains with an FWD car. Besides being dangerous it's possible that you can not climb even a small hill. I think that you should consult another expert because people will always want to sell their product or ideas. You should look carefully and all over the country to find a good car. Before I bought my car I wast stressed that it couldn't deliver it to me but I found a site and I was so happy. Read more here to see them and they will help you deliver the item safely.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Since this 3yr old thread got bumped, I might as well add my two cents: Subaru is garbage. Back in 2002 when the WRX finally came to the States I really liked them. Since then, however, the cars have remained largely unchanged, while the competition has improved dramatically. I drove a then-new WRX in 2017 or so and I was appalled by how terrible everything about it was. Slow, uncomfortable (I thought all cars had lumbar support these days but apparently not), cramped, very low tech - basically a Cavalier with AWD. I was also shocked that the sticker was ~$36k. I honestly have no idea why anyone would buy a WRX. The Sport is faster, more comfortable, roomier, has way better tech, looks better, rides better, doesn't handle as well though - it's a significantly better car overall.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts

As needed is incorrect. It sends power to real wheels on hard acceleration (before it even knows if you need it), even if you floor it @ 70. It backs off after it doesn't detect any slip.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts