Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 400A package, 28k miles CPO - with an annoying problem:

With it cooling down outside I've noticed that if I turn off my A/C, it will almost always and continuously turn itself back ON several seconds later. Why?

I've poked around, and I don't see to have any kind of 'automatic-keep it nice and cool' settings that I can find.
Sometimes it takes a few seconds, and sometimes, it's nearly immediate (the light blinks and immediately comes back on).
At some point I get lucky and it stays off. I believe if I start the car with the AC off it will remain that way.

Before I take it in for service, is there some 'automatic' setting I'm missing somewhere?

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
58 Posts

With it cooling down outside I've noticed that if I turn off my A/C, it will almost always and continuously turn itself back ON several seconds later. Why?

I've poked around, and I don't see to have any kind of 'automatic-keep it nice and cool' settings that I can find.
Sometimes it takes a few seconds, and sometimes, it's nearly immediate (the light blinks and immediately comes back on).
At some point I get lucky and it stays off. I believe if I start the car with the AC off it will remain that way.

Before I take it in for service, is there some 'automatic' setting I'm missing somewhere?
Does your CPO come with a warranty? This is def something that I would imagine is covered.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CPO still has 10k miles (most of a year) of comprehensive warranty left - Planning an oil change service at dealer soon (only because it's free with the Ford Pass points) and I'll definitely be asking about it.
Did some quick research and see it was more common on the previous generation fusions, but I've seen a few complaints for our years.
Some people were saying it happens less or not at all if you move the AC knob a click away from MAX, will try it on my drive home.

So annoying - it's like a gremlin is behind the panel playing games with me. It won't happen if I stare at it. If I take my eyes away for a second, bam, cool air blowing.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have the base instrument panel in my 2018 Explorer and from time to time, when I go to turn on the A/C, the entire HVAC module shuts down and refuses to turn back on for about 30-60 seconds. Then it turns on like nothing happened. This is the base HVAC system with mechanical knobs and buttons (no touch screen). I was able to upload a new firmware to that module last summer and am wondering if that caused this issue. But you'd think Ford would get such a simple HVAC system working properly.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mine doesn't know when it should heat or cool. I'll remote start my car and it's 50° out hop in it and the cooled seats are on. Very annoying. Also it would put itself on recirculated air all the time, it's stopped doing that recently, but I think it's just because I'm not running the AC now.

The automatic climate control or whatever it's called is nice, but the car can't figure out how to handle fall weather. It's awesome in the winter or summer to come out to a nicely cooled or heated car, especially in the winter.

Other thing I hate, the heated steering wheel is too hot and it needs a dedicated button to turn it on or off, I don't like having to go through three screens to turn it off.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My cooled seats start to get hot after a few minutes due to the improper design of the intake for the seat system. I've had the Fusion's recirculate turn on by itself a few times.
The steering wheel doesn't get as hot as I'd like, and I even went into FORScan to change the temp to the higher setting from the MKZ. The latest version of SYNC3 (3.0) for my 2017 adds the heated steering wheel button to the main home screen (just to the right of the Nav). You can also use FORScan to add that and the seat cool/heat buttons to the home screen. This way you don't need to go into Climate control, but i agree - a hardware button would be better.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
58 Posts
Mine doesn't know when it should heat or cool. I'll remote start my car and it's 50° out hop in it and the cooled seats are on. Very annoying. Also it would put itself on recirculated air all the time, it's stopped doing that recently, but I think it's just because I'm not running the AC now.

The automatic climate control or whatever it's called is nice, but the car can't figure out how to handle fall weather. It's awesome in the winter or summer to come out to a nicely cooled or heated car, especially in the winter.

Other thing I hate, the heated steering wheel is too hot and it needs a dedicated button to turn it on or off, I don't like having to go through three screens to turn it off.
If you're comfortable with ForScan you can modify the temperature to be a little less toasty on your wheel!

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you have the regular package with a temp knob instead of buttons and you have the knob turned all the way to cool or heat it will not let you turn off the system. bump the knob either way to make it not on the max temp setting and you can shut it off. I think it was done as a way to turn max AC and max defrost on if you turn the knob all the way to heat or cool it will activate the fastest way to cool down the cockpit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
CPO still has 10k miles (most of a year) of comprehensive warranty left - Planning an oil change service at dealer soon (only because it's free with the Ford Pass points) and I'll definitely be asking about it.
Did some quick research and see it was more common on the previous generation fusions, but I've seen a few complaints for our years.
Some people were saying it happens less or not at all if you move the AC knob a click away from MAX, will try it on my drive home.

So annoying - it's like a gremlin is behind the panel playing games with me. It won't happen if I stare at it. If I take my eyes away for a second, bam, cool air blowing.
yes this is true, if its set to either max on the knob and you hit the button to turn the system off it will turn it back on. Likewise if the system is off and you turn the dial to max cool it will turn the system on with fans at high and recirc to cool it down ASAP. just back the knob off a little and you will be able to turn it off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys. I know I don't have the fan or temp set to MAX. The temp is set one click off of MAX, but I did read something about this so I have moved it one more click away from MAX. So far it's only fought me a couple times per startup and then respected my wishes.

I'll pay better attention to this and report back. Very likely was the problem, but I'll keep ya'll posted. I'm usually too anxious to hit the Sport button, and kill traction control to care about the AC.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I reset the module through forscan. I was having same issues. AC WOULD randomly turn on I would have to press the button to shut off. Base package...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far keeping it off the highest-but not max setting seems to be working for me. Annoying, but acceptable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts