Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone drive with 94 octane all the time? If so does it give the FS better performance? I think the higher the octane the harder it is to burn? I have never been able to find 94 octane?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Does anyone drive with 94 octane all the time? If so does it give the FS better performance? I think the higher the octane the harder it is to burn? I have never been able to find 94 octane?
Hi dtd. Yes, higher octane will provide slightly better top performance numbers than 87 octane regular. Somewhere in the range of ~20 hp. The Fusion Sports 2.7L peak engine performance specs of 325 hp are obtained with premium fuel. On a side note...the highest available in my area is 93 octane.

However, we do need to correct a misconception. Higher octane is not "harder to burn". The purpose of a higher octane is to prevent pre-detonation (a.k.a. knocking/pinging etc.). A higher octane allows a higher compression ratio and the resulting higher performance, while minimizing the dangers of engine damage from pre-detonation.

Hope this information helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have been running 94 octane since new. Got stuck once using 91 octane.
It was like a different car. ECU will add timing even if you put in an additive to 94. Datalogs prove this

·
Registered
80 Posts
@Flew What are some recommended additives to get from 91 to 94 octane?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I believe Boostane and Maddative are the most popular.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks. I've been doing a bunch of reading across a variety of sites and it seems like Royal Purple Max Boost Octane Boost (11757) might be a good product as well.

·
Registered
427 Posts
IMHO, occasional use of these non leaded additives wouldn't hurt. EPA would be all over them if it clogged cats and they all say cat safe.

·
Registered
427 Posts
In Ontario, there is no readily available 93 octane. We do however have access to 94 octane from a top tier supplier.

Reactions: Fozzy

·
Registered
150 Posts
I doubt that 93 vs 94 makes any difference. I'd say that's less important than using Top Tier fuel.
I think it depends on the bandwidth of our oxygen sensors, and also of course on the presence or absence of a tune (and the particular tune if there is one). There is going to be a real-world limit to the range of the oxygen sensor bandwidth, and therefore the ability of the engine to adjust without tuning. I'm just not sure what that limit actually is. Ford seems to test at 93 for whatever that's worth.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
We have 100 octane unleaded here at the pump in Las Vegas it is 7.99 per gallon , so I mix the 91 and 100 to get around 94 octane , when I use the 100 octane fuel straight my car is a different kind of animal .

·
Registered
150 Posts
@MY27FUSION is that stock or do you mean when you run a 100 octane tune with straight 100 fuel? If the car can auto-adjust enough stock to pick up 100 octane fuel and run that noticeably different that's pretty cool. :cool: I've never tried it. I don't even know where to get 100 octane around here. I think we only have 87, 89 and 93 (no 91, strangely).

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
during the summer months I use the 93 tune , but when I use the 100 fuel straight up the torque feels more aggressive/pulls harder down low

Reactions: Flew

·
Registered
80 Posts
There are only two places in the entire Denver Metro area that sell 100 octane. One is at the Bandimere Raceway and is only open on certain days/times. The other is at a station that is in south west Denver 50 mins away from me (pretty close to Bandimere actually). They charge $10 a gallon at that pump. Getting anything more than 91 octane is just a pain in the butt here.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
we do have VP racing gas stations here and they sell everything even methanol

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here in Ontario Canada we have limited options for more octane than 94 especially without much of a price. I through in octane booster at the Track, but don't want to use it all the time. E85 at a pump would be nice

1 - 20 of 21 Posts