Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang. There is a new SYNC 3 Navigation maps update available. To see if it is available for your Fusion, go here and enter the required vehicle information: Ford - Sync3 Map Update

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey @bbf2530 How can you tell that there are new maps available? Looks like the dates on the files are from 12/10/2019, but other than that how do you know they have been updated?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Vidmo. Go to the link I provided above: Plug in your VIN and your SYNC ESN Modem #.

You get the SYNC ESN modem # from the "About SYNC" section of your SYNC 3 screen in your car.

The website will then tell you if you have a new map update available. If there is an update for your car, you will be given the choice of a free download or paying for a USB to be sent to you. And those choices will vary according to your model year and whether you have downloaded a previous SYNC 3 NAV map update.

If you still have issues, post back here and we can try to help you, Or call the Ford Customer Relations number provided on the web page.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Vidmo. Go to the link I provided above: Plug in your VIN and your SYNC ESN Modem #.

You get the SYNC ESN modem # from the "About SYNC" section of your SYNC 3 screen in your car.

The website will then tell you if you have a new map update available. If there is an update for your car, you will be given the choice of a free download or paying for a USB to be sent to you. And those choices will vary according to your model year and whether you have downloaded a previous SYNC 3 NAV map update.

If you still have issues, post back here and we can try to help you, Or call the Ford Customer Relations number provided on the web page.

I got an "ESN is invalid" message when I entered the ESN taken from the Sync page: U6930094

I tried different combinations of upper and lower case U and capital O vs. the number 0 but still no luck. I'm running Sync 3.0 Build 19205_PRODUCT.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You have to use the second ESN, keep scrolling down. It has to be the SYNC ESN,not the modem.
$109 to download the update. LOL.
No thanks.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got an "ESN is invalid" message when I entered the ESN taken from the Sync page: U6930094

I tried different combinations of upper and lower case U and capital O vs. the number 0 but still no luck. I'm running Sync 3.0 Build 19205_PRODUCT.
Hi lyee. You probably entered the Modem ESN number, as metroplex mentioned. It is a common mistake. Scroll further down the "About SYNC" page on your Fusion's SYNC screen to the SYNC ESN #.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks bbf2530, I was able to find my Sync ESN after scrolling down to the bottom of the page. Unfortunately, it will cost me $149 + S&H for the USB version or $109 for a download of the map update. I have a 2017. :(

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
$109 is laughable. This is why I never regretted getting the base 4" SYNC on my 2018 Explorer (not the touch screen). A smartphone just does everything better. Even in areas without cellular service, there are plenty of nav apps that save the maps to the smartphone so you just need GPS.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've inserted my VIN and ESN into the site and my car is eligible for the free map upgrade. I've downloaded and copied all files as specified in the instructions.

But I can't get it to install no matter how I try it. I keep getting a Installation Failed: Error Code: LST_ERR05 message when I insert the USB into the car which translates to Map License file is missing from USB_SYNCMyRide folder. But I know I have my license file in the folder. I've even downloaded all of the files twice and even used three different thumb drives of various sizes and makes.

I still cannot get it to recognize the license file.

Current:
  • SYNC3: 3.3 Build 19052
  • Nav Maps Version: NA 1 18

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hi Vidmo. Yes, this is a problem that others have encountered. Has to do with the License file being incorrect. Hopefully this is your issue also. The solution is relatively simple. Effectively, you will be replacing the old License file on your USB drive with a new one you will download from the SYNC 3 NAV maps website.

Do this:
  • Close all browsers/browser windows you may have open on your computer.
  • Go to the Orrder Confirmation email you were sent and use the link in it to re-download the "License" file to your computer.
  • Insert the USB drive you are using into your computer.
  • Remove the old "License" file from the SyncMyRide folder on the USB drive.
  • Copy the new "License" file which you just downloaded, from your computer to the SyncMyRide folder on the USB.
  • Perform the installation in your vehicle again.
EDIT - You can find the original discovery and explanation of this error (thanks to alcohenusa) here: Map Update Error

Let us know if this works for you. Good luck.

Reactions: Vidmo

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks @bbf2530 I did read that thread and I was seeing the same issue. Wrong license file provided by the server. I grabbed a new download of all content. I actually did that multiple times on 07/06/2020 and saw the same files as the original download. They must have gone back in after the fact and changed a number of "orders" to the correct license file content.

So I now can at least get past the "Installation Failed: Error Code: LST_ERR05" issue.

BUT, when I put the USB drive in now I see the System Update dialog, say "Yes", and then "Ok" at the next prompt and then nothing happens. I've let the car sit there idling for more than an hour on two separate tries and nothing is happening. The LED on the thumb drive is not even blinking, no activity at all.

Ford really needs to get their software @*&@& together.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks @bbf2530 I did read that thread and I was seeing the same issue. Wrong license file provided by the server. I grabbed a new download of all content. I actually did that multiple times on 07/06/2020 and saw the same files as the original download. They must have gone back in after the fact and changed a number of "orders" to the correct license file content.

So I now can at least get past the "Installation Failed: Error Code: LST_ERR05" issue.

BUT, when I put the USB drive in now I see the System Update dialog, say "Yes", and then "Ok" at the next prompt and then nothing happens. I've let the car sit there idling for more than an hour on two separate tries and nothing is happening. The LED on the thumb drive is not even blinking, no activity at all.

Ford really needs to get their software @*&@& together.
Hi Vidmo. I realize you said you have tried different things, USB drives etc. So at this point, this is what I would recommend: Try a different, 16 GB or larger, USB 2 flash drive. Download the NAV map and License files again, and try a completely fresh and clean install.

If that fails, then I can only recommend using the contact number and getting a help claim/file started.

ANOTHER EDIT o_O- Check out the previous thread I linked to. There have been some updated posts, and another member with an issue like yours did solve it by performing a completely fresh re-download and install. Maybe this will help: Map Update Error

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi gang. On a related note, the SYNC 3 update pages on the Ford and Lincoln Owner websites have been updated. After inputting your VIN, it will now tell you if you are up to date, have any available updates, the current SYNC version number installed in your vehicle etc.

It now also has links to other pages that clearly detail the instructions for how to update SYNC 3 via USB, WiFi etc. Far more informative and user friendly than before.

Good luck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well at least this confirms the issue.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for placing your recent SYNC® 3 Navigation Map Update order! We know you are excited to install the new 2020 Navigation Map Update and begin enjoying all the new features. Unfortunately, your order was identified as receiving the old license file as part of the new update. As a result we are providing a simple solution for you to receive the new license file:

1) If you placed an order on the website to Download the latest 2020 Navigation Map Update, please do the following:

1. Close any old browser pages (Internet Explorer, Google, etc.) you may have open from the previous Download/Order Complete page
  2. Return to your Order Complete page (the link is available in the Order Confirmation email you received after you placed the order to download the 2020 Navigation Map Update)
  3. Once you are on your Order Complete page, you have two options:
  • OPTION 1 - Perform the original download again using the instructions in the #1 Orange box)
  1. Download the Map and License files from the #2 and #3 Orange boxes
  2. Follow the original instructions you used for your previous order
  • OPTION 2 – Download the new License file only and update your current USB
  1. Click on the #3 Orange Download License file box to download the 2020 Navigation Map Update file
  2. Insert your USB into the computer
  3. Find the SyncMyRide directory and double-click on the folder
  4. Find the old license file, which will be named either JR3T-14G424-CD or 4U5T-14G424-CB and delete it from the SyncMyRide folder
  5. Add the new downloaded license file, which will be named either JR3T-14G424-CE or 4U5T-14G424-CC, to the SyncMyRide folder

2) If you placed an order on the website for a Pre-loaded USB with the latest 2020 Navigation Map Update installed, you will receive a new USB in the mail soon. Once you receive the new USB, follow the instructions provided for installation.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for being a loyal Ford or Lincoln customer.
ALOM Technologies | 48105 Warm Springs Blvd., Fremont, CA 94539

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hi again gang. I successfully updated my SYNC 3 Navigation system maps on a long drive yesterday. The latest version is NA 1 19

However, I would give the same warnings I have given to others on past updates: You may/will get a very quick notification (within minutes of beginning the update), essentially stating that the "Update is complete, remove the USB, restart the car..." etc.

However...Do not remove the USB and do not restart the car, etc! The update is not complete. If you leave the USB in and wait about 5 minutes, your SYNC system will reboot and the "System Update" will resume and continue. This may even happen a second time.

As the NAV maps website states, the update will take ~1 hour. Therefore, I recommend waiting at least 10 minutes after any "Update is complete" notifications before removing the USB and restarting your car, to ensure it is not another false notification.

In this way, you can be sure the SYNC system is not going to go through another reboot and resume the update. Just be patient and assume it will take approximately a full hour.

Hope these instructions are clear and understandable. Good luck.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think the biggest thing that annoys me about Sync, though, is that when I apply these updates, they never seem to have any of the new roads, businesses, or buildings in the areas where I go. I live at an address that doesn't exist in Sync, even though it's been here for several years now. There are large areas around town built several years ago that also aren't in Sync, even after the latest update. If I knew how to request that get fixed I would, but I don't. I'm not even sure if they take such requests anyway.

I say all that, but what I usually end up doing is just plugging in an old address (often to a building that's been torn down), save it as a Favorite, and name it after whatever I actually want to find. It's not exact but usually gets me close enough for the cases where Sync doesn't have current map data.

I do this because I'd still rather use the in-car navigation than fiddle with my phone, or really even instead of using Android Auto. I just like Sync better. But it would be nice if they'd actually update the map data more effectively.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey @bbf2530 After your maps upgrade does your Sync version info show that NA 1 19 is actually installed? I was able to finish my upgrade (I let it sit running for two hours just to be sure) and it says it was successful but the Sync version info still shows NA 1 18. This is after multiple starts and stops too.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts