Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for all of you owners out there. I am currently driving a 2010 Mustang GT, 5 spd manual. Not a huge fan of automatic transmissions, but some cars offer automatics that might be better than a manual. I would assume when braking with the transmission NOT in sport, there is no engine braking. I would hope when it IS in sport, that it does engine brake (downshift to aid in deceleration). Can any of you tell me if that's the case, that the transmission is programmed to drop down in gears to engine brake when you brake?

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That's great to hear. I enjoy having that control with the manual transmission, so that's definitely a plus. Very interested in test driving one soon. I will miss my Mustang, but hopefully not too much! Thanks!

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
102 Posts
That's great to hear. I enjoy having that control with the manual transmission, so that's definitely a plus. Very interested in test driving one soon. I will miss my Mustang, but hopefully not too much! Thanks!
Before this car I've owned stick shift cars exclusively since way back in 1985.
I'm having a real hard time adjusting to only two pedals.
The wheel paddles are fun to play with, but I don't really use them much.
It's just impossible to find something with power and luxury with stick anymore unless you're willing to spend north of 50K.
Even then, they only put stick in the base models without all the good stuff.

Shawn S

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you're used to a standard transmission, you're going to hate the trans in the sport... no doubt in my mind. I'm not knocking the fusion at all.... it's very usable, the shifts are smooth and it gets the job done without too much fuss.... and sport mode makes it more fun (even though the paddles are 100% useless for up-shifting).

With that out of the way... I complain almost daily about the trans in this car. Only because, like you, every car I've owned for the past decade or so has been a manual trans. I miss being able to use the clutch and the greater amount of control that comes with that. I hate the feeling of the torque converter... not a fan of the rubber banding feeling it gives (is it a crime to want to chip the tires into 3rd? lol). The computer deciding which gear it wants me in, especially when you want to stomp on it, also makes me go "WTF" sometimes. Those little things, go a long way (IMO), in highlighting the 'performance' short comings on this engine/trans combo.

This isn't necessarily a complaint about the fusion... it's just my feelings about automatic transmissions in general. On the flip side of that, I do enjoy being able to focus 100% on enjoying the car... not constantly shifting and all that. Performance isn't everything, especially when you're in the market for something a little more luxurious and comfortable like the fusion sport.

I would say that the trans is 'good enough', but I would LOVE to see a manual option added eventually (or even a swap kit).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So true Shawn. My previous car before the Mustang was an '05 Subaru Legacy GT. That had plenty of power, and all-wheel drive too. I got that car with an automatic, but it was a great automatic though, it held its gears in manual mode until the redline, and in sport, it always downshifted aggressively when braking. The Mustang was my first manual, and I know it's going to be strange to go back to an automatic. When I drive my wife's truck, I always put my left foot down on the imaginary clutch when I start it. Crazy!

Reactions: D&D

·
Registered
142 Posts
I honestly think the only thing missing from this package is the ability to 100% override the computer with the paddles.....and, of course, paddles that react in a reasonable amount of time. Like you guys, I'm coming from a stick and I loved the ability to make my own selections. 1st to 3rd to 6th to get on the highway and then leave it. Simple. Unfortunately, I play hockey and my knees and hips are **** and shot, so I needed to go the auto route. But I would love the ability to take more control.

Not really sure why there isn't an override option. Does Ford think people can't handle that responsibility responsibly? It's really no different than a manual. Ugh...

·
Registered
868 Posts
Agree. Came from manual, DSG, then another manual. The lack of control with this 6 speed does really blow. Sometimes to the point where I spook myself slightly when I think I should have control but it decides where I "should" be. My least favorite feature on the car by far.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
I use the paddles a lot more in D than I do in S. I like to downshift going down hills, and in D, it will hold the gear you select until you hit the gas again. It's nice because I can use the engine breaking until I get to the bottom of the hill, then it automatically resumes normal driving when I start giving it gas.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Regarding the slow paddle upshifting in the '17, I currently have a '10 Sport and the manual mode in my car seems (from what I can remember)to be faster at 190,000 miles than when I got it at 20,000. It's been quick enough in the last couple of years that I actually enjoy using it when throwing it around the curves. In fact, the manual mode in my car reacts noticeably faster than the two new '17s I test drove this year (which bummed me out)...was kinda hoping they would improve that, not make it worse. Have you guys noticed the paddle up shifting possibly getting more acceptable and slightly faster with a couple thousand+ Break-in miles? I'm hoping so...

·
Super Moderator
1,585 Posts
4200 miles on mine, and other than 1-2 and 2-3, mine shifts pretty quickly both upshifting and downshifting. Once the torque converter locks in 3rd it's a different experience. Personally, I enjoy it. I use the paddles 2/3 of the time, and they've definitely improved in response.

First two gears really do suck tho.

Reactions: uncletatty
1 - 10 of 10 Posts