Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Rivals

Ford has been on a roll lately with its performance division and the Fusion is yet another one they have enlisted to go after the competition. This time going beyond the Camry, Accord, Sonata and into a range where sporty sedans like the BMW 535i, Mercedes-Benz E400 and Audi A6 3.0T sit in. On paper it has performance specs in line with this range of high-end sport sedans, soon we’ll see how the Fusion V6 Sport ranks in real world comparisons.

When the 2017 Ford Fusion Sport arrives on dealer lots it will be packing 325 horsepower and a stout 380 lb-ft of torque from its EcoBoosted engine. That means this mid-size Ford will offer more grunt that the BMW 535i, Audi A6 3.0T and Mercedes-Benz E400. It should be noted, however, that the Fusion Sport requires 93 octane fuel to achieve all 380 of its torques.
Source: Left Lane News

Consumers

Demand has been growing for faster and sportier cars over the last few years for everything from compacts to full-size SUV’s and the Fusion sits in the middle of all of that, meeting a perfect medium for many consumers. Luxury brands like BMW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Infiniti and Lexus have been benefiting from this, now it’s trickling down to cheaper segments, although we may not see it happen with Lincoln anytime soon.

Since the newest-generation Fusion launched in 2012, midsize car buyers have been asking for a performance version, says Wade Jackson, Ford Fusion marketing manager.

“It’s not just Fusion buyers who want something hotter,” Jackson says. “Owners of other midsize sedans, along with our own dealers, ask repeatedly. So buyers get a 2.7-liter EcoBoost that makes 325 horsepower and a more impressive 380 pound-feet of torque.”

These consumers also crave a car that’s much more distinctive inside and out, Jackson explains. “Cross-shoppers will be shocked by the bang for the buck our new Fusion Sport delivers,” he says
Source: The Mustang News

Performance

One major area we all can agree on that Ford got right here is with power and torque, followed by drivetrain, which looks great on paper. As for other areas, it’s not known yet if the Fusion is a well rounded sporty sedan that also targets other vital areas, suspension and handling being a couple of them. But, starting at just under $34,000 its hard to pass up on this opportunity!

2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport adds some real muscle to the Ford sedan lineup. Under its hood, it packs a twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V-6 engine with a displacement of 2.7 liters. This is the engine that powers the current F-150. The engine is capable of producing 325 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque. At that level, the sedan

The engine is capable of producing 325 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque. At that level, the sedan wallops the likes of Nissan Maxima, Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. It’s also more powerful than the BMW 340i which produces 320 hp and 330 lb-ft of torque.

Unlike standard Fusion sedans which feature a front wheel drive system, Ford has hooked up the Fusion V6 Sport with a 6-speed automatic transmission and an all-wheel-drive system as standard.

The model is also fitted with continuously variable damping which features a pothole detection feature that instantly softens the suspension to absorb unexpected potholes on the road.

The maximum speed of the new 2017 Fusion Sport is about 155 mph while acceleration from 0-60 mph reached in about 5 seconds.
Source: Ford Cars Info

Safety

This is just about as best as it gets with safety. A recent report came out (linked below) that the Fusion earned good ratings on a range of tests, in the end giving the Fusion a Top Safety Pick award. But, not only will it take an impact well but even minimize it with, a front crash prevention system and optional active braking.

A modified front-end structure and an optional new active braking system help the 2017 Ford Fusion qualify for a Top Safety Pick+ award from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Like previous Fusion models, the 2017 car earns good ratings again in the agency’s four other crashworthiness tests – moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraints.

Not only that, the midsize car’s front crash prevention rating improved from basic to superior with the addition of active braking. In track tests at 12 mph and 25 mph, Fusion avoided collisions. The optional system also includes a forward collision warning component that meets National Highway Traffic Safety Administration criteria.

“The 2017 Ford Fusion is our most advanced car yet and we’re proud to see it recognized by NHTSA and the IIHS for its safety performance too,” said Bill Strickland, chief program engineer, Ford Motor Company. “Great new features include a pedestrian detection system and hands-free parallel and perpendicular parking capability, as well as existing optional lane-keeping assist and Blind Spot Information System with cross-traffic alert.”

To qualify for an Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Top Safety Pick+, a vehicle must earn good ratings in all five crashworthiness tests and have an available front crash prevention system that secures it an advanced or superior rating.
Source: Ford USA

Pricing

Considering the level of performance we're getting, a starting price of $33, 475 is not bad at all, especially when you compare it to sedans from luxury car makers with similar performance, since at that point it looks like a bargain. If you`re still looking for more, you have the option of Sport Driver Assist or Sport Upgrade packages.

Ford added the new 2017 Fusion Sport trim level at starting price of $33,475, which will be available starting this summer. The Sport is among 12 different trim levels Ford offers for the 2017 Fusion that consumers can choose from, up from eight from the 2016 version. Besides the Sport, the other new trim levels for 2017 include the Platinum, Hybrid Platinum and the Energi Platinum.

Ford also offers a Sport Driver Assist and Upgrade packages that consumers can add for an additional cost.

The Sport Driver Assist package includes features like rain-sensing wipers, a lane detection system, blind spot assistance and other safety and convenience features at a price of $1,625.

The Sport Upgrade package includes features like reverse sensing, 911 assist, a higher-end audio system, navigation system and other features at an additional cost of about $2,000.
Source: TFL Car

·
Registered
177 Posts
Is it fair to assume that the admins have some pipeline to Ford? Can someone ask the higher ups why the observed power of the cars seems to be WAY down from what it should be (over 5 second 0-60 times, 14 second/sub-100 mph 1/4 mile times)? All of which confirmed my seat of the pants disappointment at a test drive?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Is it fair to assume that the admins have some pipeline to Ford? Can someone ask the higher ups why the observed power of the cars seems to be WAY down from what it should be (over 5 second 0-60 times, 14 second/sub-100 mph 1/4 mile times)? All of which confirmed my seat of the pants disappointment at a test drive?
2nd this! I test drove one last Saturday and the power felt more like 250hp / 300ft/lbs per my butt dyno. Maybe I'm crazy, too and its just that "active suspension dampening" that makes it feel slower than it is? Other than the seat color not matching anything else in the interior (someone should be shot for that), the 2017 fusion seems well put together.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just traded my 2009 Fusion SE V6 on a 2017 Fusion Sport and I can definitely tell the power difference in only 200 miles of driving the car. My SE V6 had 221 horsepower and 205 lb.-ft. of torque. It is very clear to my butt dyno that the 2017 Fusion Sport has significantly more power. I can't tell exact numbers, but it definitely puts a big smile on my face. :D

Reactions: elronino

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree. This coupled with the fact they seem to embargo'd reviews and test times has me put off buying one.

Test driving a C450 tomorrow :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts