Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a dealer is about to receive a FS that has all the options I'm interested in, but 1 I'm not sure about. Does anyone here have the 3M paint protection on their car, and if so, like or dislike? Also, if you could tell me if it's very noticeable or not. Appreciate the future comments!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have it on my Lightning Blue Sport. I don't find it to be too noticeable personally. It covers about 8in of the hood, wraps around edges of doors, and is also in space behind door handles(I guess so that the giant rock one bought/buys their wife/girlfriend won't scratch the paint when she opens the door). I pretty sure there is more I can't think of right now(like rear of car), and possibly haven't even noticed yet. How effective any of it will prove to be, I'm not really sure. The only complaint I have is that on my hood the 3m is not wrapped around the "lip" of the hood, it just starts about a 1/8-1/4 inch up. My last car got a chip in the paint in that exact spot. Not sure if that spot is more prone than the next approximately 8in of hood or not. Personally, since on mine it's almost imperceptible except for the edges, I would love for the entire hood to be covered, wrapped around the edges. I don't find that it changes the color in areas applied. It isn't invisible as you can make out the edges if you look.

So in summary, I too did not set out to get it, but I have found no drawbacks to it. Your opinion may vary.

Mine was factory applied. Not sure if there are differences but I have read here that it is also a dealer installed option.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I noticed a dealer is about to receive a FS that has all the options I'm interested in, but 1 I'm not sure about. Does anyone here have the 3M paint protection on their car, and if so, like or dislike? Also, if you could tell me if it's very noticeable or not. Appreciate the future comments!
Are you thinking about pulling the trigger?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have it on my Lightning Blue Sport. I don't find it to be too noticeable personally. It covers about 8in of the hood, wraps around edges of doors, and is also in space behind door handles(I guess so that the giant rock one bought/buys their wife/girlfriend won't scratch the paint when she opens the door). I pretty sure there is more I can't think of right now(like rear of car), and possibly haven't even noticed yet. How effective any of it will prove to be, I'm not really sure. The only complaint I have is that on my hood the 3m is not wrapped around the "lip" of the hood, it just starts about a 1/8-1/4 inch up. My last car got a chip in the paint in that exact spot. Not sure if that spot is more prone than the next approximately 8in of hood or not. Personally, since on mine it's almost imperceptible except for the edges, I would love for the entire hood to be covered, wrapped around the edges. I don't find that it changes the color in areas applied. It isn't invisible as you can make out the edges if you look.

So in summary, I too did not set out to get it, but I have found no drawbacks to it. Your opinion may vary.

Mine was factory applied. Not sure if there are differences but I have read here that it is also a dealer installed option.
Thanks Kevin - This would be factory installed as the dealer hasn't even received the car as of yet, it's still in transit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you thinking about pulling the trigger?
I'm thinking about it. I hate when it's cold slick weather, and although this particular winter hasn't been too bad yet, it's always an issue if my wife takes the truck, because then I have no choice but to drive the Stang. Also, although I wanted to teach my wife how to drive a stick, she was actually getting it pretty quick, but she lost interest, and decided she ddn't want to learn, which means if we go out, and I want to drink, I can't because I have to drive, which is getting tired too. I LOVE the Stinger GT, but reality is setting in that if I want that car equipped as I would want it, I'd be looking at $50K and then some, and that's not happening. I haven't test driven the FS yet, I'm afraid I might really like it and just go for it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm thinking about it. I hate when it's cold slick weather, and although this particular winter hasn't been too bad yet, it's always an issue if my wife takes the truck, because then I have no choice but to drive the Stang. Also, although I wanted to teach my wife how to drive a stick, she was actually getting it pretty quick, but she lost interest, and decided she ddn't want to learn, which means if we go out, and I want to drink, I can't because I have to drive, which is getting tired too. I LOVE the Stinger GT, but reality is setting in that if I want that car equipped as I would want it, I'd be looking at $50K a6nd then some, and that's not happening. I haven't test driven the FS yet, I'm afraid I might really like it and just go for it.
Be afraid, be very, very.... Wait no, don't be afraid.

·
Registered
481 Posts
sorry to bump this oldish thread but roughly how much is it to get a clear 3m bra put on the front of the car?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry to bump this oldish thread but roughly how much is it to get a clear 3m bra put on the front of the car?

It's listed as $395.00 for 3M paint protection on the Window Sticker

·
Registered
346 Posts
I installed 3M paint protection for years on vehicles. It is one of the best ways you can spend money on your car... if it is done properly and the entire car is done, into every door jam and crevice... you have to remove headlights, and tail lights... sometimes you have to remove much more... it it a pain staking process that has to be perfect... no contamination (dust, even a spec)... car has to first be detailed perfectly or you trap whatever frap you didn't clean, right under the film... would never have a dealer do it... if done right should cost around 3,000 dollars... be ware of **** 3m jobs that will collect dirt at exposed edges, yellow, be noticeable, and a waste of money... you will have to pay to have a **** 3m job removed prematurely because it have collected dirt under edges...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have to agree with Cobra here. The ones provided by manufacturers and dealerships are not that great. At the very least you should do full front of the car up to drivers doors. The little bit that you get from the ones provided here as shown give you those awesome edges that no one wants to see, and only protect a few inches, still leaving you very open to chips.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have to agree with Cobra here. The ones provided by manufacturers and dealerships are not that great. At the very least you should do full front of the car up to drivers doors. The little bit that you get from the ones provided here as shown give you those awesome edges that no one wants to see, and only protect a few inches, still leaving you very open to chips.
I would have to agree with the person who is agreeing with me here...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would have to agree with the person who is agreeing with me here...
Cobra427 - WHat I was asking about is the clear bra that seem to be included in heavily optioned cars. They are done at the factory. It's not the whole car.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is very noticeable and I don't like it
Thanks for your opinion, I appreciate it! I think I'm going to find a car without it, although that may be difficult since I do want a car with almost all the options.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thanks for your opinion, I appreciate it! I think I'm going to find a car without it, although that may be difficult since I do want a car with almost all the options.
Do what I did and order one you can get exactly what you want without any stuff you don't... couldn't find exactly what I wanted on the lot so instead of settling I ordered one cost no extra just need to wait

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do what I did and order one you can get exactly what you want without any stuff you don't... couldn't find exactly what I wanted on the lot so instead of settling I ordered one cost no extra just need to wait
I haven't ordered a car in years. I feel like you have more leverage when that car is just sitting out there in the lot and they really want to get rid of it. :D

Reactions: Rice

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well, it appears that the Burgundy Velvet paint on my FS is very susceptible to chipping: less than 2500 miles and it's already got a few pretty good dings. OTOH, is $3k worth it? It feels like I could paint the hood and bumper a few times for that kind of money? I had a Toyota MR2 that I had to paint the front air dam every year, but that was relatively cheap... Any thoughts about other useful protective products? It's gotta cover the hood and bumper/front fascia since those areas are chipping too.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well, it appears that the Burgundy Velvet paint on my FS is very susceptible to chipping: less than 2500 miles and it's already got a few pretty good dings. OTOH, is $3k worth it? It feels like I could paint the hood and bumper a few times for that kind of money? I had a Toyota MR2 that I had to paint the front air dam every year, but that was relatively cheap... Any thoughts about other useful protective products? It's gotta cover the hood and bumper/front fascia since those areas are chipping too.
A PROPER paint job on a car is 10-12 thousand dollars... I am not saying you can't paint a car for less... but a full paint job (painted panels never match) costs that much... again this is dependent on how particular you are... I was in the industry for a while and can say that fully wrapping a car covers from that cost, because when you remove the film you have a untouched surface underneath that could only be achieved after 7 years of ownership by repainting the car... YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH SPENDING ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU WOULD LIKE... but to ensure THE BEST results and use of money... a full car wrap done properly where you can't find a seam or edge, is the only way to go...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just to cover the oxidation and exposure of paint to elements Ensures that to painted panels despite the source of the paint used, Will never match... not to say they can't be close... but they will never be as close to perfect as possible... even if the paint is not exposed to the elements or sunlight at all time will in sure that two panels painted at two separate times will not match... to ensure a proper paint job all body panels must be removed and painted without any trim, to ensure that paint gets into every place it should and know where it shouldn't it is a tedious and time-consuming job that takes many man in many hours that is the reason that paint job cost so much money when done properly to the level where you could not tell it was not done at the factory

1 - 20 of 31 Posts