Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read an amusing question on the book of faces today, and now I find myself idly wondering if a 3.5L EB swap is possible...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Read an amusing question on the book of faces today, and now I find myself idly wondering if a 3.5L EB swap is possible...
I mean anythings possible with enough time and money, but i feel like the time, effort and money it would take to swap it out, might as well just buy a SHO/better car or instead dump the money into the 2.7L. I think 500HP on the 2.7L is very possible with proper upgrades, they have gotten 550 out of the 3.5L.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I'm not sure there is much difference between the two other than displacement. I don't know, and someone more in the know may be able to give more insight on the matter, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if it were just a matter of boring it out and swapping in a 3.5L rotating assembly.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm not sure there is much difference between the two other than displacement. I don't know, and someone more in the know may be able to give more insight on the matter, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if it were just a matter of boring it out and swapping in a 3.5L rotating assembly.
even if its not an exact 3.5 EB vs spending the money/time to fit whats going to be a stock motor you could spend the time building up the 2.7 and have a better end product.

Reactions: GorgonFusionSport17

·
Registered
626 Posts
According to the specs the 3.5 has a 3.64" bore
The 2.7 has a 3.27" bore
I've never heard of someone boring an engine out 3/8", I'm sure the cylinder walls
aren't that thick!
To "build up" the 2.7, everything would be custom.
It would be interesting to get a pair of stock heads and see if they could be ported and larger valves installed. After that, custom turbos and a tune.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I can't imagine putting a 3.5L in that engine bay. The whole bay is crammed from the beginning with lack of room.

·
Registered
899 Posts
The 2.7 and the 3.5 motors are completely different. The 3.5 is based off of the old 3.0 and not the 3.0 that Lincoln uses.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Considering the 2.7L EB is a CGI block and the 3.5L EB is aluminum, I would think you'd be OK building a 2.7 to the same power that people have pushed the 3.5's to anyways.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Personally, I'd bore / stroke the 2.7 up to around the same 3.0 as the Lincoln model, upgrade the turbos for the extra displacement (and air), upgrade the intercooler, add water-meth injection, and do a downpipe-back exhaust... With a tune, of course.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I stand corrected. In that case, yeah, I'd say stroke and massage the 2.7L to a 600hp 3.0L.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Personally, I'd bore / stroke the 2.7 up to around the same 3.0 as the Lincoln model, upgrade the turbos for the extra displacement (and air), upgrade the intercooler, add water-meth injection, and do a downpipe-back exhaust... With a tune, of course.
I've been thinking that same exact thought. If I f*** up this engine, that's what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yikes at this thread. I have ~485 crank hp on stock turbos, stock 2.7L internals. Boring this engine would make no sense. Stroking it to 3.0L would be cool but you'd probably need a 3.0 head and valvetrain or a lot of custom machining. A few people have already shown 50+ hp gain from swapping just the 3.0 turbos to our motor. So that would be you around low to mid 500's. Axles are already being broken at this level. PTU probably isn't far behind. I can say from personal experience, intercooler and meth are both more cost effective mods to start with. I wouldn't personally suggest that your first big mod be to mess with engine internals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts