Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting this thread to discuss what I will need if I do the 3.0L swap is the dealership can't fix my smoking engine. (By the way, this is the 2nd engine in my car, and no I have never taken it to the track to race. It's only a daily driver and red light to red light BMW/ Benz/ Prius, , etc... destroyer.... lol)

1. I did get the brand new transmission and the PTU was inspect and I was told in good shape.

2. I can get a salvaged 3.0L with anywhere between 5,000-30,000 miles. (my car has 27330 miles on it)

So besides a complete engine. What else would I need? I researched and the MKZ, Fusion, F-150, Edge Sport/ST and Explorer ST all use the same ECM. I know I will need the typical consumables for the swap and new mounts and a few minor things unless any of the wiring is damaged. What other potential problems/issues might there be?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Although this sounds like it would be fun to do, I'm not sure what the benefit of this would be .. .majority of 3.0t horsepower advantage over the 2.7 is the higher flow turbos. The 2.7 actually has the better block (CGI vs aluminum)

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't we do this thread already............

Yes but that thread is full of rambling....no real technical talk..more of comparing turbos, piston pics and lots of what if's... I am looking for more tech talk and what would be needed to accomplish this if Ford doesn't get the act together and get my car working and stop BS'ing me on it. I want real no BS look at what I need to get this done if need be.

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
The 2.7 and the 3.0 engines are related - same thing Ford does with the 3.5L and 3.7L Duratec V6's. So you'll of course have to program the PCM with your VIN and vehicle variables to make that work, but while PCMs may be the same part numbers, the Lincoln calibrations may have some issues in a Ford (not sure, I've never tested it, but this is why we have to load Mondeo firmware onth the MKZ instrument clusters to use them in Fusions - so just a heads up on that).

Otherwise, a lot of parts are already shared between our Sports and MKZs with the 3.0T, so it may be doable.

Reactions: Hootushead

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
. So you'll of course have to program the PCM with your VIN and vehicle variables to make that work,.

But wouldn't it just be easier to use all of the 2.7L Control modules for the 3.0L? I wouldn't swap any of the modules from the MKZ just the engine itself. The ECM and PCM just need to have the values changed to reflect the .3L increase, but even then it shouldn't need it. This way when its running you can data log and get Torrie or whomever to build a custom tune.

·
Registered
407 Posts
But wouldn't it just be easier to use all of the 2.7L Control modules for the 3.0L? I wouldn't swap any of the modules from the MKZ just the engine itself. The ECM and PCM just need to have the values changed to reflect the .3L increase, but even then it shouldn't need it. This way when its running you can data log and get Torrie or whomever to build a custom tune.
You are uncharted waters so you will be learning as you go. (which can be daunting but also exciting). Hopefully it goes smoothly for you

·
Registered
871 Posts
The easiest way would be to get a full long block with turbos. The engine should have all of the came connectors, wiring, mounting, ect.

I would email Torrie and let him know what your planning, he might be able to copy over the 3.0 parameters so your base tune is the 3.0 base tune.

No one has done the swap yet, I would suggest getting the Ford Oasis subscription and downloading the PDF manuals and working harnesses for both cars.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I agree that would be the best route. 10% increase in CI and a little bigger turbo
should be easily tunable on the first shot.

Did the 3.0 can any more enchancments outside the long block besides the turbos?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
From what I have found only the difference is

2017 3.0L MKZ

Bore: 85.3mm
Stroke 86mm

Compression: 9.5:1

But I am looking at a 2017 engine not an 2018 engine which became 2Gen with direct port injection, high pressure EGR, dual chain camshaft drive system, electrically actuated wastegates, electronically controlled variable-displacement oil pump.

2017 Fusion
Bore: 83mm
Stroke: 83mm
Compression: 10.0:1

But like I said before this is all contingent on the dealer fixing my car...If they cant then I will get the engine around December or January. The weather will be nice and cool here in TX, plus I need to buy the hoist, cradle, quick jack and a few other things, if I don't have a shop swap it. I might even wait till next spring/summer and get the turbos rebuilt/upgraded.... It took the dealer 44days for the transmission, I'm dreading on how long it will take if the engine has to be replaced again. Hoping its a gasket leak causing the engine to smoke.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hi robhp. Just as an FYI: The 2018+ MKZ 3.0T (and/or 2018+ Fusion Sport 2.7 EcoBoost) engines do not have port injection.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The only vehicle that comes equipped with the dual (port/direct) injection 2.7 ecoboost engine is the 2018+ F150

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok....cool good to know. I just know that starting in 2018 Ford released the 2nd Gen 2.7L

·
Registered
102 Posts
I walnut blasted my last car and it wasn’t bad. But it was a 4cyl and they were right in front of you. I have no clue how you will do the back head on these longitudinal mounted v6’s without just pulling the head.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Would have been great to have dual injection on our fusion sports

I'm sure someone on here is going to start a project "Dual Injection".

·
Registered
407 Posts
I walnut blasted my last car and it wasn’t bad. But it was a 4cyl and they were right in front of you. I have no clue how you will do the back head on these longitudinal mounted v6’s without just pulling the head.
Our 2.7s are tranverse mounted

1 - 20 of 39 Posts