Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Promise made, promise kept and I’ve got my exhaust. However, the resonance and overall noise was too much for my liking. So I talked to him about it and he researched solutions, eventually coming back to me with the Moroso spiral flow resonators. Now the note has a great rip to it, the sound is louder but not juvenile, but the resonance still vibrates the rear view mirror. We agree the solution to that is a vibration dampener like my 2010 3.5l FuSport had. But there’s actual science that determines the precise location it has to be attached for it to work and neither of us could do that.
As an aside, we had major obstacle finding stainless mufflers short enough to fit between the axle and bumper. It’s an incredibly short space which I guess explains the sideways orientation of the OE water heater tank muffler. Which weighed 52 lbs. by the way.
Looks nice, dual 2.5" all the way from the dp?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes! The guy who installed it asked me several times if I was sure I wanted 2.5” and not 3” because he said all the “turbo 4-banger guys” always came back for bigger pipes, and since I had twice as much pipe as those guys and about 20% more length, he didn’t want me to have an expensive regret. But I think the consensus is 2.5” is more than adequate. Frankly, the Morosos barely fit through the tunnel as it is, and I don’t think he could have made the tight bend behind the tires into the mufflers with 3”!

Reactions: maydk65

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Dual 2.5 pipe is plenty, were talking a 164 C.I. engine here, not a big block. even being twin turbo, I dont see a need for 3 inch pipe to the back. I know we could get 3 inch down pipes, but I think that is over kill. I think 2.5 down pipes into a 2.5 dual exhaust is really a good size over all. That extra 1/2 inch makes for a mess under the car and you really never notice or see any gains I bet. I can tell you being a Diesel guy also, we would tell kids. You dont need anything bigger than 4 inch back on a 7.3 unless you plan on making big numbers, beyond that its really just about more racket coming out of the tail pipe. If your wondering, that's 444 cubic inches with a Garrett 38 charger, stock.

Reactions: Shawnski and Oreo

·
Premium Member
778 Posts

According to this source, dual 2.5" exhaust is good for 463hp. Dual 3" is for engines making up to 679hp. I don't know how far the FuSpo community has progressed in my absence, but I have a ways to go before I need to start looking at more than 2.5" pipes.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

According to this source, dual 2.5" exhaust is good for 463hp. Dual 3" is for engines making up to 679hp. I don't know how far the FuSpo community has progressed in my absence, but I have a ways to go before I need to start looking at more than 2.5" pipes.
My EVO dynoed 387 @ the wheels on a single 3" (and relatively mild bolt-ons/cams) and plenty have gone much higher, so those numbers seem low.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
My EVO dynoed 387 @ the wheels on a single 3" (and relatively mild bolt-ons/cams) and plenty have gone much higher, so those numbers seem low.
My assumption is that those numbers are for optimal performance, not a hard cap. I have no doubt that a single 3 inch pipe can shuttle 400hp worth of exhaust out the back, but there might be some power left on the table. Those are probably the sizes that going bigger won't really benefit much.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
My assumption is that those numbers are for optimal performance, not a hard cap. I have no doubt that a single 3 inch pipe cap shuttle 400hp worth of exhaust out the back, but there might be some power left on the table. Those are probably the sizes that going bigger won't really benefit much.
There is almost no gain until you are well over 600 WHP. Been dyno tested. One guy even did a 3" and then no exhaust @ around 650. Maybe 10 HP gain. Evo's have gone 9.0 @ 160 on 3 " exh. It's not a restriction.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I'm not sure that tells the whole story. Without knowing the exact setup, i can only speculate, but it's likely the 3" pipe on those cars may not be the biggest bottle neck. If they were pushing 600hp, I'd be willing to bet they'd get a considerable gain by making other exhaust changes. A single 3 inch pipe is way small for 600hp. Also, running no exhaust is just as bad as running too small an exhaust because it creates too much turbulence. Unfortunately, given the outlet design of our turbos, I don't see a very good way to do it that optimizes air flow.

Ideally, a turbo wants the exhaust to smootly transition to a pipe that is about 1" bigger than the turbine outlet via an increasing diameter pipe about 10" long.

·
Registered
465 Posts
3" is plenty on my Evo I also have a widemouth downpipe and a straight pipe breathe just fine any bigger on this ford would be ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I am finishing up on my rad side mkz turbo I did not have to remove the a/c line just undid the bolts that hold the compressor and moved it out of the way only 3-13 mm bolts

61 - 70 of 70 Posts