Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
I hope your tuner has some experience with programming this change. I'm on my 6th revision with the MKZ turbos and getting the stock actuators working to best advantage.

I hope this approach works well for you. I am intrigued.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I do my own tuning, LOL. I use Hp tuners on the Sport and Cobb on the 13 Fusion 2.0, and since I,m keeping it, I,ll more than likely switch it to HP at some point.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well it would seem getting a IC at this time is not gonna happen so I,m gonna scrap the idea of doing this all together. I see no point in doing a 3.0 turbo upgrade if I cant upgrade the intercooler as well, so in the trash can they go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There's a bunch of us (including me) that are interested in buying the revised 2.5 design downpipes. I think we should try to get a group buy going. I would love to get these with a discount.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk
Hell yeah, discounted down pipes! C’mon with it

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I,m not seeing much on a ETA far as the down pipes go, but I did have better luck getting a I/C from Turbo Tech Racing. Should have it later in the month, still dealing with turbos, but I haven,t really messed with them it two weeks.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Skipe can you measure the studs on the exhaust housing side of the turbo for me I am looking for a 2 bolt flange (need to know center to center of studs ) thank you

·
Registered
61 Posts
UP had recently gotten some cores in as well and is building ICs again

I,m not seeing much on a ETA far as the down pipes go, but I did have better luck getting a I/C from Turbo Tech Racing. Should have it later in the month, still dealing with turbos, but I haven,t really messed with them it two weeks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I have a I/C coming from Turbo Tech Racing, should have it next week.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Skipe can you measure the studs on the exhaust housing side of the turbo for me I am looking for a 2 bolt flange (need to know center to center of studs ) thank you
I got 3 15/16's center to center, if you want that in mm, I,ll have to dig up a metric tape which I have a round here some where.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
that should do it thank you sir

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
No problem, oh and a update on this. I have a I/C coming next week from Turbo Tech Racing with a Garrett core. Turbos are still sitting here on my desk, just need to finish them up and they'll be ready to go on. Been busy writing tunes for mine and a guy at work with a 16 Fusion 2.0 AWD.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

Reactions: Oreo

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don’t know where this ended up but...any time slips? Dyno graphs? Pics of the flatbed hauling it away?

Reactions: MY27FUSION

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Not sure why you would think a " flat bed " was involved, but I,ve been busy with a new house so it got put on hold for now. I have the I/C and the turbos to do, just don't have the time yet. I,m thinking some time in September or early October at the latest I hope, just in time for cooler weather anyways so it will be better conditions for tuning. Far as time slips or dyno sheets go, that wont be any time soon. I,m not really into posting such just because I dont care about " bragging ", if it goes down the road good with out a bunch of glitches and issues, I,m happy. I use HP Tuners for my tuning needs, so I,m writing my own tunes, and very successful at it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Flatbed - attempt at wry humor; insinuating you build it up and tune it to the point of blowing it up in stereotypical Tim Allen-style search for “more power”... as usual, I crack me up.
Time slips or dyno - not for bragging but rather for sharing data on outcomes with the FFS community. I’ve noticed what seems to be a lot of new participants (I’m assuming due to FFS coming off leases and making them more attainable to a different demographic of buyers), and a thoughtfully executed build with no frills would be a good example of how to apply limited resources to the best effect.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
If I have a chance to get it on a dyno later after I,m done, I wouldnt mind seeing what it puts down far as HP n torque go though, I,d think 400 + Hp is very doable.
Also, how did you like the X pipe ? One thing on my list is doing something with the exhaust, I dont want loud though. If I can get a nice tone like I have with the 13, I,d be really happy. No drone going down the hwy, very low noise at idle and cruise, get after it, and it has a nice bark though.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Of all the modding of my car, the exhaust was the most drama. I drive 25-30k a year, and I am very picky about the noise levels in my cars/trucks. Louder is not equal to faster!! I’ll reply in a few posts if you’ll bear with me.

My OE resonator/x-pipe split a seam like a potato chip bag in fall of 2018. So I went to a local muffler shop owned by a family I grew up with and they installed a regular non-resonated x-pipe. It was stupid loud in the cabin, and made a tinny exhaust note like those Civics with 4” cans. So I bought a 2.5”in/out MagnaFlow off Amazon and took it to the same shop to be installed. I was assured that they could adapt the 2.0” OE pipe to the 2.5” and I already had catted 3” DPs, and I had plans for MKZ turbos and a full 2.5” in the future so I went with it. The MagnaFlow made it ever so slightly deeper but OE level of noise. Fine by me. Unfortunately, it still made that shrill “eeeeeeeeee” noise at full throttle like a Hoover vacuum. Fast forward to late summer of 2019. I finally get my hands on the right and left MKZ turbos (that’s another story), and when we drop the pipes to start the swap we see this...

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
They had literally used 1.75” pipe to “sleeve” the connections then filled it with weld!

I had been calling around to shops for weeks trying to find someone who would do a custom mandrel bent exhaust in stainless and believe it or not I could not find a single place in a 35 mile radius that would or could do the job. I had a couple guys say they’d try but I’d have to leave the car with them for an unknown period of time while they “experimented” with it. Now our exhausts are practically straight back true dual pipes and I couldn’t believe it was that hard. But I also had to find someone who could fab a new Y-pipe because of the previous shop’s hack job. And most critical, it had to be done in one full day. By pure luck I met a guy who had a Chevy C10 with a blown big block who had a work of industrial art for an exhaust system. He tells me about this shop that’s literally 10 minutes from my office!
I made an appointment, spent 45 minutes under the car with the owner and his welding tech, and he made a plan I liked, quoted me what I thought was a fair price, and a promise to get it done in one day.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Promise made, promise kept and I’ve got my exhaust. However, the resonance and overall noise was too much for my liking. So I talked to him about it and he researched solutions, eventually coming back to me with the Moroso spiral flow resonators. Now the note has a great rip to it, the sound is louder but not juvenile, but the resonance still vibrates the rear view mirror. We agree the solution to that is a vibration dampener like my 2010 3.5l FuSport had. But there’s actual science that determines the precise location it has to be attached for it to work and neither of us could do that.
As an aside, we had major obstacle finding stainless mufflers short enough to fit between the axle and bumper. It’s an incredibly short space which I guess explains the sideways orientation of the OE water heater tank muffler. Which weighed 52 lbs. by the way.

Attachments

Reactions: BlueTxSport

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I put a ZZP 3 inch down pipe on my 13, then took a Magnaflow SS exhaust system, modded it a bit. We just happen to have a Sport rear bumper at work that the boss said I could have, so I found a nice pair of SS 2.5 in 3.5 dual out tips, then later after deciding I wanted it to be a bit quieter, I bought a 6 inch round 28 inch ss Magnaflow long muffler, put it up front right below the shifter. My Sport was a car we built back in 2017, I finally decided to buy it this year. Boss took it down to Florida, so it didnt get driven much, as of right now its only got 20,000 on it. The car was drilled in the rear, ended up getting a short clip, the exhaust was stupid expensive. I want to say 1600 bucks, everything from the flex pipes back. The whole thing is heavy, LOL, helped the scrap guy carry it over to his truck when it was time to get rid of it.

Reactions: Shawnski
41 - 60 of 70 Posts