Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

Registered
No 馃槥 I鈥檓 constantly checking online but honestly don鈥檛 have the cash right now. I鈥檓 hoping to start buying parts this winter 馃
I also spent $25 for a bootleg service manual PDF to at least try educating myself on what all I鈥檓 in for when I start thE process of swapping out the turbos.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
I can see one thing is for sure, I,ll have the bumper off, and the cooling out, but I also have a 1234 machine so I can R n I the freon. Once that's out of the way it will be easy for the most part, the nut on the back stud for the down pipe looks to be the biggest head ache. Back one will come out from under, but that will fun too, not a lot of room back there even when you have it up in the air.

Registered
Discussion Starter #23

Reactions: Hootushead

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
There here, wont be going on for a while though. I have another actuator i,m waiting on, then I can get them ready for the install.

Registered
There here, wont be going on for a while though. I have another actuator i,m waiting on, then I can get them ready for the install.
Sorry, you are waiting on an actuator? Are you trying something non-oem? The factory units are calibrated when assembled on the turbo.

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
I bought a Mamba for my 13 2.0 eco when I still had the stock turbo on it, then I switched to the 2867 and run what it had on it, so I have one, just needed one more. I,ll have it tomorrow or Monday so no big deal. These are tunable, swap out the spring to want ever lb you need. the stock springs are 4.25 lb, I,m gonna go with 10lb.

Registered
I bought a Mamba for my 13 2.0 eco when I still had the stock turbo on it, then I switched to the 2867 and run what it had on it, so I have one, just needed one more. I,ll have it tomorrow or Monday so no big deal. These are tunable, swap out the spring to want ever lb you need. the stock springs are 4.25 lb, I,m gonna go with 10lb.
I wish I had known there was another option before I installed mine. Excuse my ignorance but what is the benefit of these aftermarket actuators. Are you sure the Mamba 2867 will work on the 2.7/3.0 turbos. Mamba appears to only have for the 2.0 only.
In any case, good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
You get more mid range, and top end. It will make the turbo light faster too, I could tell the difference right away when I added it to my stock turbo. Any time you tune a Eco, you really should upgrade the actuator I think, your pushing more boost so it stands to reason your gonna push the waste gate open easier with the increase in drive pressure. If you look them up on eBay, you can see what I,m talking about, What I buy is the universal one, gives you 8 springs, and different length rods. One thing I like about theirs is they use a double o ringed piston on the rod instead of diaphram, you dont need to worry about blowing a hole in it. I had a BOV on the 13, noticed the valve wasnt opening. took it apart and found a hole.

Registered
You get more mid range, and top end. It will make the turbo light faster too, I could tell the difference right away when I added it to my stock turbo. Any time you tune a Eco, you really should upgrade the actuator I think, your pushing more boost so it stands to reason your gonna push the waste gate open easier with the increase in drive pressure. If you look them up on eBay, you can see what I,m talking about, What I buy is the universal one, gives you 8 springs, and different length rods. One thing I like about theirs is they use a double o ringed piston on the rod instead of diaphram, you dont need to worry about blowing a hole in it. I had a BOV on the 13, noticed the valve wasnt opening. took it apart and found a hole.
Thank you for the information

Registered
Discussion Starter #31

Registered
Discussion Starter #32

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
I also bought a pair of those, hope they hold up better than the cheep one i put on the 13. I ended up going to a high dollar one when I switched to the Garrett due to the cheep one coming apart where the stitching is.

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
Best way is to just go to eBay motors, parts, then to turbochargers and parts, put in Mamba for a search and it will bring up everything Mamba on eBay. Same with blankets, I just put in Turbo blankets and it brings pretty much everything. You can get more specific, put in Garrett T3, but there a little big for the stock turbine. What I got is for a motorcycle, so I figure they should work. If not I,ll just use the stock shields they come with. I,m old school when it comes to chargers, I use blankets on the turbines for temp control and it helps a lot to keep the heat in the scroll which helps a lot with lag. At any rate, that what I would do.

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
Update, don't buy any actuators for either the 2.7 or 3.0 far as after market go unless they can be set up for vacuum and not just pressure, seems Ford threw us a curve ball with the 2.7 3.0 " they use vacuum to operate the actuator. Not sure how well that works, I,ve only ever seen pressure being used to move the waste gate.

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
I can use them on something else, I,ve always got something cooking.
Still odd, I wasn't expecting that. What I am gonna do here in a bit is go look at how the hell they plumb the actuators for vacuum in stead of pressure. One thing you can do with the stock units is just put more load on the spring buy moving the arm on the gate farther toward the end of the rod, put more pressure on the poppet valve.

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
Update, I figured out what Ford is doing, and it wasn't a big deal to mod the actuators. All I needed to do was put the spring in the top of the head instead of the base. So I drilled the piston out so I could put the rod in from the other side, this gives me the room I need for the spring. Had to drill new holes in the mounting on the compressor housing due to the bolts being closer together than on the stock unit, also had to come up with a different way to connect the rod to the arm at the gate, and raise the whole thing up to make room for the heat shield. I,ll have the first one all done in a few days, then on to the second one, which will go a lot faster since I know what I gotta do.

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
I wish I had known there was another option before I installed mine. Excuse my ignorance but what is the benefit of these aftermarket actuators. Are you sure the Mamba 2867 will work on the 2.7/3.0 turbos. Mamba appears to only have for the 2.0 only.
In any case, good luck.
They make them for a few different motors, what I bought are universal. They make them for the 2.3, 2.0 and the 3.5's, but nothing that is a direct bolt on upgrade for the 2.7 3.0's

21 - 40 of 70 Posts