Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so what I,m looking for is anyone that has done a upgrade to 3.0 Lincoln turbos. I just bought a pair with 0 miles on them as new takes offs, once I have them, I,m gonna do a few other things before they get switched out, one thing I,m gonna have to do is replace the I/C with something better than the factory could come up with, and that's a whole other thread, but any thoughts on that subject are welcomed in the post, well because it's my post, LOL. Think of this as a stage kit in a sorta kinda way, I am not changing anything with the exhaust at this point, but may later so I have a more complete package. Other thing I may do is got to a Mac valve set up with the waste gates and run after market actuators on them instead of the stockers.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you are having all the work done to swap the turbos it would be a very good idea to install a set of ult performance downpipes as later on you will pay 5-6 hours of labor to have them installed. That's a lot of money saved !

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,338 Posts

Also general 2.7 to 3.0 talk that may have some info:

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are having all the work done to swap the turbos it would be a very good idea to install a set of ult performance downpipes as later on you will pay 5-6 hours of labor to have them installed. That's a lot of money saved !

LOL, I,m not paying anyone to do anything. I,ve been in the automotive business for over 30 years, I,ve got this. I understand the importance of good down pipes, I bought a ZZP catted for my 13 2.0 eco, made a nice difference you could feel. Along with a Magna flow exhaust that I modded to suit my needs.

·
Registered
379 Posts
LOL, I,m not paying anyone to do anything. I,ve been in the automotive business for over 30 years, I,ve got this. I understand the importance of good down pipes, I bought a ZZP catted for my 13 2.0 eco, made a nice difference you could feel. Along with a Magna flow exhaust that I modded to suit my needs.
Either way you don't want to go through that headache twice.. Ive read the DP install is very long and tedious process, so if I were you I would nip it in the butt while I already have the turbos removed. Also, your timing seems to be good, Matt @ ultimate is developing the newest version of his performance downpipes now at 2.5 inch diameter. Might be a good idea to reach out to him

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ooo! What’s the word on the new UP Downpipes??? Going down from 3” to 2.5” have some performance benefits or more affordable or something like that?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3 inch would be over kill not to mention a waste of money. 2.5 would be about the most you would ever need. Consider the fact that the stock exhaust is pretty much duals till you hit the muffler which is huge. Were talking a 164 ci engine, 2.5 inch a side is more than enough. Big issue is the cats, I know they are a restriction far as good flow goes, and really if you eliminated those, you would see a decent improvement in flow, but I also want mine too be somewhat eco friendly. Not that I,m a tree huger either, and I dont have to deal with smog test every year where I,m at.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Either way you don't want to go through that headache twice.. Ive read the DP install is very long and tedious process, so if I were you I would nip it in the butt while I already have the turbos removed. Also, your timing seems to be good, Matt @ ultimate is developing the newest version of his performance downpipes now at 2.5 inch diameter. Might be a good idea to reach out to him

I,ve done my 13, granted its a 2.0. I,ve had it off a few times, went to a Garrett 2867. Sad thing is I,ll have a quarter of what I paid for it in two 0 mile 3.0 turbos that should help with air flow, ( some ).
Wish ATP would come out with a good performance set for the 2.7's but being they only made the Sport three years, I don't see that happening. Not to mention expensive as hell.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ooo! What’s the word on the new UP Downpipes??? Going down from 3” to 2.5” have some performance benefits or more affordable or something like that?
According to the SHO community, the 2.5 inch downpipes performed much better than the 3 inch versions. And their ecoboost engine is a considerably larger 3.5L V6 !! So imagine how nonsensical it is for us to use 3 inches on each bank with our small engine and tiny turbos

·
Registered
379 Posts
3 inch would be over kill not to mention a waste of money. 2.5 would be about the most you would ever need. Consider the fact that the stock exhaust is pretty much duals till you hit the muffler which is huge. Were talking a 164 ci engine, 2.5 inch a side is more than enough. Big issue is the cats, I know they are a restriction far as good flow goes, and really if you eliminated those, you would see a decent improvement in flow, but I also want mine too be somewhat eco friendly. Not that I,m a tree huger either, and I dont have to deal with smog test every year where I,m at.
The downpipes install for the 2.7 will be a much more involved job than the 2.0. literally double the amount of work lol

Also I wouldn't worry too much about the catalytic converters, as UP makes a high flo cat equipped version of their Downpipes for guys who don't want to go full catless. Although he tested both versions on his car and the catless version had only a small advantage in power gains.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ZZP I put on my 13 is 3 inch with a high flow Magna flow cat, any good high flow cat will out flow a stock cat for sure. Far as the DP's go, I know its not the same as a 2.0. If you knew half the stuff I,ve done, you would understand why I,m not worried in the slightest about how hard it is. On top of the fact I have lift I can put the car up high enough that I can walk around under it, and I can have the front end off in about an hour ish. We build a lot of totals where I work, i,ve built around 15 to 20 Fusions, a slew of MKZ's and countless F 150's. We deal in Ford's, so after while you pretty much know what tools you need to do the job before you even start.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ohhh please, for the sake of us less experienced with a job quite as big as swapping out turbos and downpipes on a car like this, do at least a basic walkthrough of how to do these mods. Even a list of what all has to come off would be great!

Follow up question... why do you think UP went with 3” for their first run of downpipes instead of 2.5”? Just curious...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ohhh please, for the sake of us less experienced with a job quite as big as swapping out turbos and downpipes on a car like this, do at least a basic walkthrough of how to do these mods. Even a list of what all has to come off would be great!

Follow up question... why do you think UP went with 3” for their first run of downpipes instead of 2.5”? Just curious...
Really, LOL. Oh, and maybe because people have the bigger is better mentality when it comes to stuff like that. just don't see a 3 inch pipe being needed for it is all, that's my opinion. You don't have to agree with me, we live in a free country after all.

·
Registered
276 Posts
No disagreement. I was just looking for insight as to why Matt w/ UP is switching from 3” to 2.5” DPs. It seems like a some members know him personally and might be able to chime in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would say they have done enough testing and found that there is no gain going from a 2.5 to a 3 inch, not to mention think about how hard it has to be to get a nice bend with that size of pipe in the area you have to work with. I ran 2.5 for all my charge pipes on the 13, and it was a nice clean job. I can say it would look like hell if I had gone to 3 inch, the radius gets bigger, and harder to fit in tight places. I had a 03 Super Duty with a 7.3 for 10 years, first thing I did was put a 4 inch turbo back exhaust on it, sounded mean as hell, but you loose a little bottom end going from a 3.5 down pipe to the 4 inch. In the end it's worth it since it help a lot with EGT control. I think a 2.5 would be the ideal size for both low end and top end performance with our engine. Back to how I plan to attack the whole turbo swap gig, first thing I,ll get a good look at what I need to do and come up with a plan at that point. I have some cool tools that will make the whole job easier, I hope. LOL. Big thing will be the pipes at the turbos for sure, I already looked at those. They dont look like much fun, the rest is easy. Big thing is not getting into a hurry, and making sure everything goes together right. Last thing you want to deal with is a coolant or oil leak due to a miss placed o ring or gasket, been there done that, it happens. Hoses blow off, you stick them back on and tighten the clamp up a little tighter the second time around. You should hear a boot come off on a 7.3 pushing 30lbs of boost, sounds like a 12 gauge going off under the hood, LOL. So at any rate, once I get them, I,ll work on the actuators, and getting a I/C. Once I have all that, then it will be time to have fun.

Reactions: ArthurUSCG

·
Registered
826 Posts
I wonder if the switch to smaller piping also gives enough space to place the cat in a better location. I think the old spot had issues with water pudding and destroying the core.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I looked on their site, I have to say the 3 inch pipes look nice, but 1300 bucks is hard to swallow. Didn't see any catted pipes offered, might be due to some issues as you said, which makes sense. I,ll hold off on the down pipes till maybe they release the 2.5's later. I,m already gonna have close to 1500 in what I,m doing now, and I know that's not much. Hell so far my MPVI2 and the two credits I needed to tune the car were the cheapest thing I,ve bought next to the Steeda air box, and the rear sway bar. LOL

·
Registered
379 Posts
I looked on their site, I have to say the 3 inch pipes look nice, but 1300 bucks is hard to swallow. Didn't see any catted pipes offered, might be due to some issues as you said, which makes sense. I,ll hold off on the down pipes till maybe they release the 2.5's later. I,m already gonna have close to 1500 in what I,m doing now, and I know that's not much. Hell so far my MPVI2 and the two credits I needed to tune the car were the cheapest thing I,ve bought next to the Steeda air box, and the rear sway bar. LOL
There's a bunch of us (including me) that are interested in buying the revised 2.5 design downpipes. I think we should try to get a group buy going. I would love to get these with a discount.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I,d be all for them if there not to pricey. My ZZP pipe for my 13 2.0 was a odd buy. I paid 460.00 with shipping for it, a year later the guy is selling the same one for 1400.00.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No disagreement. I was just looking for insight as to why Matt w/ UP is switching from 3” to 2.5” DPs. It seems like a some members know him personally and might be able to chime in.
Did you ever get a set of 3.0 turbos ?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts