Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all! I’m still in shock this car is mine! I have always loved the way fusions looked and the sport is just so much better. I had a ‘16 focus before this and there’s just no comparison. I was going to buy a loaded SE or titanium fusion but the dealership gave me a deal on this ‘17 sport I couldn’t pass up. Never thought I would have a car like this at my age! My husband is upset we had to trade the truck in but the wife is happy!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congrats and welcome! And tell your husband "Happy Wife, Happy Life!" ;)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Best of luck! When was it assembled? If it is an early 2017 build, you could be facing a whole slew of problems which could explain why the dealer gave you a super great deal. Then again they may have implemented a lot of the fixes. All depends on when the car was assembled. If it is newer than March 2017, you should have most/all of the fixes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best of luck! When was it assembled? If it is an early 2017 build, you could be facing a whole slew of problems which could explain why the dealer gave you a super great deal. Then again they may have implemented a lot of the fixes. All depends on when the car was assembled. If it is newer than March 2017, you should have most/all of the fixes.

It was made in March of ‘17🙄 awesome. What should I be expecting to look for?

·
Registered
992 Posts
That should be fine... The pre-March 2017 builds had windows that kept rolling down after rolling up... needed DDM and PDM flashed with new software. Very early builds had bad cylinder heads that caused oil consumption. The ACM would also drain the battery dead, but yours should have had all that updated.

The only other things to look for are leaky transmission seals, leaky PTU seals, and a leaky engine oil pan.

My dad's 2017 FSport was made May 2017 and didn't have any of the electronic issues mine had (made January 2017). But mine has a sheen of ATF on the transmission all the time and the oil pan keeps leaking at the front passenger side.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Welcome to the club!
You bought a great car. Enjoy. Mine rolled down the line in March 2017 as well. Has needed nothing except the
steering wheel bolt recall. PS.. Careful, I bought it for my wife. She has driven it once in three years. 😁

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the club!
You bought a great car. Enjoy. Mine rolled down the line in March 2017 as well. Has needed nothing except the
steering wheel bolt recall. PS.. Careful, I bought it for my wife. She has driven it once in three years. 😁
Haha well this is my new daily and I put 20k+ miles on my vehicles per year! She will be driven plenty😛

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That should be fine... The pre-March 2017 builds had windows that kept rolling down after rolling up... needed DDM and PDM flashed with new software. Very early builds had bad cylinder heads that caused oil consumption. The ACM would also drain the battery dead, but yours should have had all that updated.

The only other things to look for are leaky transmission seals, leaky PTU seals, and a leaky engine oil pan.

My dad's 2017 FSport was made May 2017 and didn't have any of the electronic issues mine had (made January 2017). But mine has a sheen of ATF on the transmission all the time and the oil pan keeps leaking at the front passenger side.
Okay I’ll watch for that. I used to have an ‘03 Chevy blazer that leaked from the back of the motor the whole 3 years I owned it so I’m good with it watching for that stuff and maintaining it! Thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Not critical but might be interesting: When you shut off the car and close the door, if your gearshift module keeps the LEDs on for like a full minute even after you locked the car, that's normal. Later cars have revised the gearshift module programming so that it stays on for only 5 seconds and stays off until the next CAN Bus activity. I think Ford did that because people/mechanics assumed the gearshift module (GSM) was causing the battery drain issue (which it didn't, most of it was caused by the ACM). My dad's 2017 Fusion Sport made in May 2017 had the updated GSM software, while mine from January 2017 had the old software. This isn't a big deal at all as I measured the power drain to be the same between both cars. Ford's IDS and FJDS software refused to update my GSM, so I had to trick it by using a 2018 VIN#, and then it flashed my GSM with the revised software. It was my last day for the FJDS license and it was a hail mary attempt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
  1. Not critical but might be interesting: When you shut off the car and close the door, if your gearshift module keeps the LEDs on for like a full minute even after you locked the car, that's normal. Later cars have revised the gearshift module programming so that it stays on for only 5 seconds and stays off until the next CAN Bus activity. I think Ford did that because people/mechanics assumed the gearshift module (GSM) was causing the battery drain issue (which it didn't, most of it was caused by the ACM). My dad's 2017 Fusion Sport made in May 2017 had the updated GSM software, while mine from January 2017 had the old software. This isn't a big deal at all as I measured the power drain to be the same between both cars. Ford's IDS and FJDS software refused to update my GSM, so I had to trick it by using a 2018 VIN#, and then it flashed my GSM with the revised software. It was my last day for the FJDS license and it was a hail mary attempt.
    Yeah I’m not worried about the electronic stuff since it had 48k miles when I bought it but the potential for leaking seals all over concern me because I commute kind of far. Also, when I take off I hear like water rushing noises in the dash. Is that normal?

·
Registered
992 Posts

1. Yeah I’m not worried about the electronic stuff since it had 48k miles when I bought it but the potential for leaking seals all over concern me because I commute kind of far. Also, when I take off I hear like water rushing noises in the dash. Is that normal?
That's from the coolant level being lower than the heater core/hoses. Just fill up the degas bottle with anti-freeze/water so that the level is much higher than the full marking. It seems bad to do this, but it's from air being constantly trapped in there. I filled it up much higher and it solved the issue. Obviously don't go crazy with the level.

If your seals look dry now, chances are it should be fine. The oil pan might be harder to notice as you'll have to inspect it with the car up on ramps and with a flashlight and/or with the shield removed. Mine was seeping from the front passenger side. It's a known issue with the 2.7 and plastic oil pan/RTV. Supposedly they revised the design for 2019-up including the 2020 Explorer ST's 3.0 and 2019 Edge ST.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's from the coolant level being lower than the heater core/hoses. Just fill up the degas bottle with anti-freeze/water so that the level is much higher than the full marking. It seems bad to do this, but it's from air being constantly trapped in there. I filled it up much higher and it solved the issue. Obviously don't go crazy with the level.

If your seals look dry now, chances are it should be fine. The oil pan might be harder to notice as you'll have to inspect it with the car up on ramps and with a flashlight and/or with the shield removed. Mine was seeping from the front passenger side. It's a known issue with the 2.7 and plastic oil pan/RTV. Supposedly they revised the design for 2019-up including the 2020 Explorer ST's 3.0 and 2019 Edge ST.
Ford used a plastic oil pan?🤦🏼‍♀️

·
Registered
385 Posts
Congrats and welcome! And tell your husband "Happy Wife, Happy Life!" ;)

Everyone has different experience. For example, I got a 2016 build and have had virtually zero problems (dead battery is about it).

·
Registered
992 Posts
My sunroof glass also flew off, it cleanly delaminated from the adhesive. So there's that... But I don't think it was widespread enough. A friend that works at FCA said she's seen that before and its probably due to the supplier waiting too long to apply the glass to the adhesive. Ford left me to figure out a solution myself as it wasn't covered under warranty.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think I’ve got one of the oldest build dates here .. 3/16 and I’ve had no issues so far.. not sure about the previous owner as I did buy it off a lease but a lot of the early build dates don’t have problems anyway. There was a thread awhile back with a poll attached to it and only like 30% of early dates had major issues

·
Registered
992 Posts
Just be glad you're not experiencing any problems with your build!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think I’ve got one of the oldest build dates here .. 3/16 and I’ve had no issues so far.. not sure about the previous owner as I did buy it off a lease but a lot of the early build dates don’t have problems anyway. There was a thread awhile back with a poll attached to it and only like 30% of early dates had major issues
Actually, way back I did a back of the envelope calculation I shared on the forum. IIRC, it suggested maybe 5% of 2016 builds had major problems (the head problem being the big one). It was not a perfect analysis as no one knows production #'s or failure rates. So a lot of assumptions. But 30% is waaaay high in my opinion. Plenty of folks who had problems are on this forum, and to anyone that had big problems - it was a big problem.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Actually, way back I did a back of the envelope calculation I shared on the forum. IIRC, it suggested maybe 5% of 2016 builds had major problems (the head problem being the big one). It was not a perfect analysis as no one knows production #'s or failure rates. So a lot of assumptions. But 30% is waaaay high in my opinion. Plenty of folks who had problems are on this forum, and to anyone that had big problems - it was a big problem.
Oh hey I was curious if you saw this haha. I forgot what the % was so I guessed :p. I knew it was low though

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay that makes me feel a little better😅 mine isn’t a 2016 build but still. I didn’t know they made them as early as 3/16!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts