Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
281 Posts
I'm not sure of the grill texture , the black at the bottom of the doors and the rear treatment reminds me of the Camry. But overall a decent looking sedan that is going up against some pretty stiff competition. I hope they get the pricepoint and the reliability factor right.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
235 Posts
@OX1 thank you for posting this article. The new Mondeo looks fine. I'd like to see the grille closer in styling to ours.

At the bottom of the article, the author opines that it's unlikely to come here, but if Ford offers it overseas with a 2.7 TT and AWD, and with chrome-tipped quad exhausts, then I'll consider doing a reverse- @Wojtas and importing one to the land of the free and home of the brave.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
@OX1 thank you for posting this article. The new Mondeo looks fine. I'd like to see the grille closer in styling to ours.

At the bottom of the article, the author opines that it's unlikely to come here, but if Ford offers it overseas with a 2.7 TT and AWD, and with chrome-tipped quad exhausts, then I'll consider doing a reverse- @Wojtas and importing one to the land of the free and home of the brave.
I wonder if they'll all be built in China. And where they're designed. I wonder about the supply chain for this.

But as a car, looks pretty nice to me, in general. If it has a decent power train it could be a good next generation Fusion.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't mind seeing it with a 2.7/3.0 AWD hybrid, with even say 40 mile electric range.
Yes, more complex, but would save me from having to maintain an entire other ICE daily driver
with a pure EV, but still get me covered under electric for 70ish % of my driving. Not super
interested in pure EV's really, but I realize the gov't is going to force it on you for any kind of
affordable transpiration.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
427 Posts
I would ideally like to see a hybrid or plug-in hybrid drivetrain with the 2.7TT or 3.0TT like OX1 said. I know Ford is always under the thumb with fleet fuel economy, so this should be a good way of allowing a sport trim while not hampering fleet economy really badly. Plus it will be excellent for the cost of ownership too!

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
427 Posts

Ironic that it might end up being us who needs to import Fusion Sports in a few years XD

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I agree with the idea that a nice twin turbo V6 with a hybrid design would be cool. More of a performance hybrid design. I actually think for anything Ford (or anyone else) releases on a new platform from this point forward, they need to be (and probably are) incorporating electric and hybrid designs. It just makes sense from a business angle.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport 2.7L TT AWD
781 Posts
Just imagine how much the car would weigh with a V-6 and electric drives & batteries. WOW!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just imagine how much the car would weigh with a V-6 and electric drives & batteries. WOW!
I wouldn't mind keeping the 2.7 EB as FWD, then adding an on demand electric motor for the rear.
(even maybe a couple of small in wheel motors if they can get damping right).
Eliminate the entire rear drivetrain, and you open up some space and weight savings for batt's.
Use the PTU space for something to charge the batt's.

But overall you are right, Ford has done a horrible job on weight, like a 4200 lb GT500.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wait maybe I understand this totally wrong, hybrid car use ICE to generate juice, so why bother twin turbo… it really just need to crank the generator so the electric motor can keep going…

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Wait maybe I understand this totally wrong, hybrid car use ICE to generate juice, so why bother twin turbo… it really just need to crank the generator so the electric motor can keep going…
Not quite.

The addition of a hybrid power train is generally done to increase efficiency. When we are braking (during city driving especially), we are taking the chemical energy stored in our gasoline and turning it into kinetic energy via the engine and drivetrain. When braking using conventional methods, we are turning this kinetic energy into heat energy, which gets vented to the atmosphere. This is a lot of wasted energy.

With an electric motor, you can intelligently add or remove kinetic energy from the car by converting it back into electrical energy stored in a battery. This energy can then be used to get the car going again after your stop has concluded. It can also be used for an extra "boost" of low torque to help the car advance forwards while the turbos are still spooling.

Ultimately the addition of a hybrid drivetrain is primarily efficiency, and while there are some performance benefits they are mainly in the realm of giving the car some extra grunt from a stop, rather than having a ton of energy put out from the electric motor.

·
Super Moderator
1,644 Posts
In addition to what what DarkArkAngel said, you're thinking of an EREV (Extended-Range Electric Vehicle) where the gas engine is just a generator - like the BMW i3. Different setup than a Hybrid. At that point you wouldn't need a V6 at all. Hybrid is exactly what the name implies, the wheels are driven from two sources - half electric, half gas.

I'm not at all against electric vehicles, even hybrids. I'm against "appliance" cars, like the Prius. Plus they're almost always mated to a CVT and softer suspension tuning. I really wish Ford would bring the Explorer PHEV to North America... I can certainly get on board with a 3.0T Hybrid pushing 444HP / 620lb-ft for a daily driver!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
In addition to what what DarkArkAngel said, you're thinking of an EREV (Extended-Range Electric Vehicle) where the gas engine is just a generator - like the BMW i3. Different setup than a Hybrid. At that point you wouldn't need a V6 at all. Hybrid is exactly what the name implies, the wheels are driven from two sources - half electric, half gas.

I'm not at all against electric vehicles, even hybrids. I'm against "appliance" cars, like the Prius. Plus they're almost always mated to a CVT and softer suspension tuning. I really wish Ford would bring the Explorer PHEV to North America... I can certainly get on board with a 3.0T Hybrid pushing 444HP / 620lb-ft for a daily driver!
Ford has been doing pretty well at making what I'd call performance hybrids recently.

The F-150 Powerboost Hybrid has the best 0-60 time of any F150 ever and makes like 450HP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts