Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2019 > 2018 > 2017 :)
259 Posts
Attempted another download late last night. Now these more more likely to be correct:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hi Vidmo. Yes, the member over on the SYNC forum just had the same results. To quote him:

"I re-downloaded this morning and got an updated file. The files within the zip have newer date/time stamps. I am somewhat skeptical that this is 100% correct but there is no way to tell for sure at the moment. The old file had a folder with the 119 version in the name. The new one just has the file structure without a version number."

It may be a good idea for everyone to wait a week or two before downloading, so Ford can get this issue straightened out. Especially if they are paying for the download.
For the Download option, it specifically states, "*This website does not support troubleshooting for the download selection process."

I'm sure there would be exceptions for an internal issue like this, but better to wait a week or two and not take chances.

Sort of a miniature version of...Be careful about buying a brand new model in the first year of production.

Keep us updated on the install and good luck.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi all. For those who had trouble and are interested: The previously mentioned members on other Fusion, MKZ and SYNC forums are now having luck by going back to their confirmation emails and using the included link to perform a fresh download of the NAV map and license files, with a successful download and install.

Hopefully, the initial release fiasco from yesterday is fixed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2019 > 2018 > 2017 :)
259 Posts
So it looks like the map "updates" I just installed from the download site are the same ones I already had via the OTA update I received a while ago. NA 02/20. Confirmed by a post on another site by a Ford Employee. SYNC Build 21194 Is Released by Ford

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
So it looks like the map "updates" I just installed from the download site are the same ones I already had via the OTA update I received a while ago. NA 02/20. Confirmed by a post on another site by a Ford Employee. SYNC Build 21194 Is Released by Ford
Hi Vidmo. Yes, it was mentioned several times that this NAV maps update is NA 2 20 for SYNC 3.4. And NA 1 20 for SYNC 3.0. We could have saved you some trouble if you had mentioned you currently had NA 2 20.

For future reference: For those of us who are lucky enough that their SYNC WiFi updates system is reliable (WiFi updates are iffy for many/most owners...including me:oops:), your NAV map updates can also occur at the same time as a SYNC update, as long as you are still eligible for the free NAV updates (as you stated you were).

And just to differentiate and avoid confusion for others: You/we are not getting "OTA" (Over the Air) updates in the Fusion/MKZ.
SYNC 3.0/3.3/3.4 are not capable of OTA/Cellular data updates (despite the "OTA" term they use over on that Explorer forum).
SYNC 3.0/3.3/3.4 are only capable of WiFi updates.

OTA updates are being introduced with SYNC 4, and will include far more than just SYNC and NAV.

Good luck.

Reactions: lyee

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hi all. Another update for those having issues with this new NAV maps update/download: A member on the other MKZ/Fusion/SYNC websites has stated they received an email from Lincoln/ALOM (the map vendor) instructing them to now re-download the NAV maps update. They said it appeared to be a generic email, sent to all those who had attempted to download in the last two days.

Hopefully this will help.

Good luck.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi all. Okay...more news. Contrary to past precedent and earlier information, the NAV map update version seems to be "NA 2 20" for both SYNC 3.0 and SYNC 3.4 equipped vehicles.

Previously, SYNC 3.0 had a "1" as the middle digit identifier (i.e "NA 1 20")...and SYNC 3.4 had a "2" identifier (i.e. "NA 2 20").

However, several owners with SYNC 3.0 have now stated that their NAV map version has updated to "NA 2 20".

Just another wild card to throw into the mix. o_O:ROFLMAO:

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Has anyone applied this one yet? If so, how long did it take? I have the stick ready but I'm trying to figure out when a good time to apply it would be. That kind of depends on how long it's going to take. I think the last one was pretty quick.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Has anyone applied this one yet? If so, how long did it take? I have the stick ready but I'm trying to figure out when a good time to apply it would be. That kind of depends on how long it's going to take. I think the last one was pretty quick.
Hi Engineer. I have not done so myself, but a few members on other SYNC/Lincoln (MKZ)/Ford (Fusion) Forums state it was ~1 hour. So plan on a nice 1 hour plus drive somewhere and let us know how you make out.

For myself, I currently have NA 1 19 and am contemplating waiting for NA 2 21 this time next year. Then I will take the 5 year subscription.

Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I do not have to purchase the updates my 2019 is still eligible to receive them for free.
My 2019 is also eligible. Does anyone know when the eligability for a free update ends? Is it a "first update is free" thing or maybe ends when the 3 year warranty ends? Is there a limit to the number of free updates you can download? My state is doing some major work on a road I regularly drive on and won't be completed till next year. So was hoping to wait to update till then.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
My 2019 is also eligible. Does anyone know when the eligability for a free update ends? Is it a "first update is free" thing or maybe ends when the 3 year warranty ends? Is there a limit to the number of free updates you can download? My state is doing some major work on a road I regularly drive on and won't be completed till next year. So was hoping to wait to update till then.
I think (but can't confirm) that the updates are free (no matter how many) until your primary warranty is up. Once that's up (3 years on Fords, 4 on Lincolns) you have to pay. At least, that's how I think it works. Mine were free until my primary warranty ended.

Reactions: Vidmo

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
With SYNC 3.3/3.4, the NAV map updates are contained in SYNC updates.
Hi @bbf2530 , does this mean that for a Sync 3.4 car all I'd have to do is attach the car to WiFi, and it would get both the new Sync versions, AND the new maps updates, automatically? That's what it looks like from your response. If so that's great!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hi @bbf2530 , does this mean that for a Sync 3.4 car all I'd have to do is attach the car to WiFi, and it would get both the new Sync versions, AND the new maps updates, automatically? That's what it looks like from your response. If so that's great!
Hi Engineer. Well, that is what I have seen posted by some owners with SYNC 3.4 equipped vehicles. My 2018 MKZ has SYNC 3.0.
So since I normally prefer some sort of more reliable information source, I am not willing to bet the farm on it. ;)

Therefore, I would still advise owners of SYNC 3.4 equipped vehicles check that the SYNC and NAV maps versions in their vehicles are the latest version available. They can do that by visiting both the SYNC 3 update website and SYNC 3 NAV maps update website.

Lincoln SYNC 3 update website: https://help.lincoln.com/update-sync/
Ford SYNC 3 update website: https://help.ford.com/update-sync/
Lincoln NAV maps update website: https://syncnavigation.com/lincoln/home
Ford NAV maps update website: https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home

Good luck.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think (but can't confirm) that the updates are free (no matter how many) until your primary warranty is up. Once that's up (3 years on Fords, 4 on Lincolns) you have to pay. At least, that's how I think it works. Mine were free until my primary warranty ended.
Sounds logical, but just put in the VIN for my parent's 2018, which is still under warranty, and the complimentary download is not available. Put in the VIN for my 2019 and it is.

From what I read, the updates only come out once yearly around this time of year, correct? If I download them for my 2019, can the same files be installed on the 2018? If they come out this time of year, my warranty will be over by the time the next one is out, so probably best to download them soon. I believe my car is still using maps from 2017.

Been searching the web and have not come across anything about how long the free update is available, other than this site which says they are free for 5 years, but evidently does not apply to North America.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Sounds logical, but just put in the VIN for my parent's 2018, which is still under warranty, and the complimentary download is not available. Put in the VIN for my 2019 and it is.

From what I read, the updates only come out once yearly around this time of year, correct? If I download them for my 2019, can the same files be installed on the 2018? If they come out this time of year, my warranty will be over by the time the next one is out, so probably best to download them soon. I believe my car is still using maps from 2017.

Been searching the web and have not come across anything about how long the free update is available, other than this site which says they are free for 5 years, but evidently does not apply to North America.

Not sure about how long they're available free, exactly, but I do know that the files are tied to a specific vehicle. So if you download them for one, they won't apply to another. You have to get a separate download. The only way around that, as far as I know, is to use one of the sites that provides questionable copies of the maps, from unofficial sources.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)

Hi KCM. As Engineer stated, it is "tied to a particular vehicle" and will not work.

A basic explanation: When you download the NAV map files, there is also a license file which is tied to the vehicle VIN. Without the proper license file for your 2018, the NAV maps from your 2019 will not upload properly to the 2018.

Concerning your other questions; Yes, the NAV map updates are released once a year, around this time of year. In the past, mid-July to early-August. Perhaps the release was a bit late this year due to the pandemic.

In the U.S: I believe, from experience (but am not 100% sure) that Ford vehicles may get 1 complementary NAV map update, while Lincoln vehicles get 2. They are definitely not free for 5 years in the US.

Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Appreciate all the input. Based on what everybody has said, came up with a hypothesis why my parent's 2018 does not have a complimentary update and my 2019 does. Their car was built in June of 2018 and has the NA 1 17 maps. Mine was built in October of 2018 and also has the NA 1 17 maps. Based on when maps are released for download (summer) and the fact that the map version is 1+ years behind the release date (for example the NA 2 20 version being released now in 9/2021), their June 2018 build might have had the latest map release at the time it was built since the next map version would not have been released until August or so. Whereas my October build 2019 was likely built after the new map version was available but was built at the factory with the old NA 1 17 maps, so Ford provides a "One time only" complimentary map update since it was built with an outdated map.

Makes sense one download won't work on multiple cars. Ford wants to sell the maps so codes each download for the specific VIN.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Appreciate all the input. Based on what everybody has said, came up with a hypothesis why my parent's 2018 does not have a complimentary update and my 2019 does. Their car was built in June of 2018 and has the NA 1 17 maps. Mine was built in October of 2018 and also has the NA 1 17 maps. Based on when maps are released for download (summer) and the fact that the map version is 1+ years behind the release date (for example the NA 2 20 version being released now in 9/2021), their June 2018 build might have had the latest map release at the time it was built since the next map version would not have been released until August or so. Whereas my October build 2019 was likely built after the new map version was available but was built at the factory with the old NA 1 17 maps, so Ford provides a "One time only" complimentary map update since it was built with an outdated map.

Makes sense one download won't work on multiple cars. Ford wants to sell the maps so codes each download for the specific VIN.
Hi KCM. Just as an FYI. The NAV map release number identifiers are confusing. In actuality, NAV map versions are ~6 months behind the release dates. For example, NA 2 20 actually has all available updates through 1st quarter of 2021 (yes, the website was incorrect, as of a few days ago).

NA 1 19 and NA 2 19 had all available updates through 1st quarter 2020, etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all I do have a question, If I purchase the 5 years subscription map updates plan on a USB can I use it on my Ford and Lincoln with one USB ? Thanks

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Hi all I do have a question, If I purchase the 5 years subscription map updates plan on a USB can I use it on my Ford and Lincoln with one USB ? Thanks
No, the maps are licensed to a particular car only, and they can't be used (as in, won't install or work) on more than one vehicle. They can only be used on the particular vehicle you ordered them for. You'd need two separate subscriptions if you have two cars.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts