Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang. According to the Lincoln SYNC 3 NAV map update website, the latest SYNC 3 NAV map update will be released September 1st: Lincoln Sync 3 - Home

Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
thanks!

but I wonder if we can download it again for free? It only let me download the current update once, after that you have to buy the 40dollar usb

perhaps with new update it resets

·
Registered
2019 > 2018 > 2017 :)
259 Posts
My vehicle actually did a map update over the air in May 2020. Oddly enough that one was never listed on the Ford map update site.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
My vehicle actually did a map update over the air in May 2020. Oddly enough that one was never listed on the Ford map update site.
Hi @Vidmo

That was probably a Sync 3 system software update. Those can be done either wirelessly or over USB. But the map updates, as far as I know, can't be done over the air in Sync 3 (any version of 3).

·
Registered
259 Posts
That was probably a Sync 3 system software update. Those can be done either wirelessly or over USB. But the map updates, as far as I know, can't be done over the air in Sync 3 (any version of 3).
I'm pretty sure it did. Right now my maps are on NA 02/20. The last update from the Ford map update site that I have is from 19. I keep backup copies of this stuff.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Vidmo. Sorry, I should have been more specific. This is a SYNC 3.0 NAV map update to NA 1 20. Map updates for SYNC 3.0 are downloaded separately from SYNC 3 updates. Your 2019 Fusion would have SYNC 3.3...or SYNC 3.4.

With SYNC 3.3/3.4, the NAV map updates are contained in SYNC updates.

Good luck.

Reactions: Vidmo and Engineer

·
Registered
91 Posts
Can I install SYNC 3.3/3.4 on my 2017 FFS SYNC 3?, that would be great.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Can I install SYNC 3.3/3.4 on my 2017 FFS SYNC 3?, that would be great.
Hi tls. Well...no and yes. Can we upgrade, with Ford's blessing, from the factory/using the Ford SYNC 3 update website or over WiFI? No. SYNC 3.3/3.4 uses different hardware and software than SYNC 3.0 and Ford will not upgrade it for you.

However, you can upgrade on your own, if you purchase the necessary hardware to do so. Or alternately, you can use one of the third party applications available. These different application sources vary in effectiveness/functionality/system safety.

In addition, if your Fusion is still within the 3 year/36,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty (probably not the case for you), or if your Fusion is covered by a top level ESP contract that includes electronics, doing so may/will jeopardize your contract coverage for anything SYNC related. And that includes a good part of the electronics, electrical, computer, audio and climate control systems.

Not telling you what do to, just keep these things in mind when making a decision what to do with your vehicle.

There are several existing threads discussing all this in much more detail.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi tls. Well...no and yes. Can we upgrade, with Ford's blessing, from the factory/using the Ford SYNC 3 update website or over WiFI? No. SYNC 3.3/3.4 uses different hardware and software than SYNC 3.0 and Ford will not upgrade it for you.

However, you can upgrade on your own, if you purchase the necessary hardware to do so. Or alternately, you can use one of the third party applications available. These different application sources vary in effectiveness/functionality/system safety.

In addition, if your Fusion is still within the 3 year/36,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty (probably not the case for you), or if your Fusion is covered by a top level ESP contract that includes electronics, doing so may/will jeopardize your contract coverage for anything SYNC related. And that includes a good part of the electronics, electrical, computer, audio and climate control systems.

Not telling you what do to, just keep these things in mind when making a decision what to do with your vehicle.

There are several existing threads discussing all this in much more detail.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
259 Posts
FYI, Since its sept 1st I just tried grabbing the "latest" maps updates from the Ford map update site and it still gave me the 19Q1_NA stuff. It's not anything new.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
FYI, Since its sept 1st I just tried grabbing the "latest" maps updates from the Ford map update site and it still gave me the 19Q1_NA stuff. It's not anything new.
Hi Vidmo. Are you stating you downloaded the update, installed it and it is NA 1 19 (or NA 2 19 if you are SYNC 3.4)?

The previous versions are NA 1 19 for SYNC 3.0, and NA 2 19 for SYNC 3.4. The updates are NA 1 20 and NA 2 20.

They made a mistake in the description. It has now been corrected on the Lincoln site and should be corrected soon on the Ford site, if it hasn't already.

Good luck.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just downloaded it and looked at the files. There is nothing new here.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I just downloaded it and looked at the files. There is nothing new here.
View attachment 28540
Hi Vidmo. I guess my question is did you purchase the update?

You can not go by the EDIT- file folder/file names alone. It is sometimes what the folders and files contain that differs.

The NA 2 20 NAV update has all road updates through 1st quarter 2020.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

You can not go by the file names, It is what the file contains that differs.

The NA 2 20 NAV update has all road updates through 1st quarter 2020.
Well that was annoying. Big expensive subscription apparently to get the updates now.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well that was annoying. Big expensive subscription apparently to get the updates now.
Hi Engineer. You can also purchase the single year update for the same price as before. $109 for the download, $149 for the mailed USB.

Good luck.

·
Registered
259 Posts

You can not go by the file names, It is what the file contains that differs.
I do not have to purchase the updates my 2019 is still eligible to receive them for free. These are exactly the same files I download from the site last year when I got the NA 19 updates. The site must not really have been updated today. I'll look again tomorrow.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do not have to purchase the updates my 2019 is still eligible to receive them for free. These are exactly the same files I download from the site last year when I got the NA 19 updates. The site must not really have been updated today. I'll look again tomorrow.
Hi Vidmo. Okay, that answers may question as to how you obtained access to actual update. I am assuming your Fusion is equipped with SYNC 3.4, the maps version in your 2019 Fusion was NA 2 19 or earlier. The new update is NA 2 20 and contains all updates through 1st quarter 2020. Perhaps there is an error in the site and you were given NA 2 19. We shall see.

However, as I mentioned before, it is not the folder/file names that matter, it is the information contained in the files. You can't simply compare older and file names. The new folders replace the old ones with new files, and they do not necessarily have to be named differently.

Once you get the correct download (if you did not already), NA 2 20 will be a more comprehensive version than NA 2 19 (or whichever version you have), one you get it correctly.
However, just as NA 1 18 and NA 1 19 were for me, we may not even notice any differences, unless we travel roads that were changed.

My advice to most owners would be: Once you have to pay, save a little money and update every two years. Or go with the new 5 year subscription, which costs only slightly more than two single year updates.

Keep us updated and good luck.

·
Registered
259 Posts
However, as I mentioned before, it is not the folder/file names that matter, it is the information contained in the files. You can't simply compare older and file names. The new folders replace the old ones with new files, and they do not necessarily have to be named differently.
Sigh..... do you want to see the sha256 checksums of these files compared to the ones I've received last year? Not only that but the dates match too? Come on man this is not rocket science.

Reactions: DaMiFo

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sigh..... do you want to see the sha256 checksums of these files compared to the ones I've received last year? Not only that but the dates match too? Come on man this is not rocket science.
Hi Vidmo. Then as I also clearly stated, perhaps an error was made and Ford will correct the website. It has happened before, just as the version number was incorrect this morning, or they have included incorrect license files in the past, etc. etc.

The point is that once the correct NA 2 20 (or NA 1 20 for SYNC 3.0) update is made available, it will be an improvement and not a copy of NA 2 19.

And you are correct, it is not rocket science...Sigh...;)

Hope you will let us know what you eventually find out and good luck.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Vidmo. Just saw a similar complaint to yours, over on a SYNC forum. A member downloaded the "new" NA 2 20 update from the Lincoln SYNC 3 update website and received the NA 2 19 files.

So it looks like Ford/Lincoln need to get things straightened out, similar to the license file fiasco they had a year or two ago.

He has an email out and is waiting for a response. I'll update here if I see anything.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts