Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
How much has the Escape improved with the 8 speed? The Edge ST owners don't like the 8 speed compared to the 6 speed on the same car known as the Edge Sport. The 2 extra gears are worthless for acceleration. The extra OD night help with fuel economy but Ford could have done that with the 6 speed and a more logical final drive like 2.77s instead of 3.16s

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Here ya go.
2019 Ford Escape 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four; 245 hp, 275 lb-ft of torque; up to 22 mpg city/29 mpg hwy
2020 Ford Escape 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four; 250 hp, 280 lb-ft of torque; up to 23 mpg city/31 mpg hwy
2019 Zero to Sixty 7.2 seconds
2020 Zero to Sixty 6.3 seconds

THE 8 SPEED

The Benefits…
The highly efficient 8 speed transmission comes with many benefits to the consumer. The first and most sought after benefit is the increase in fuel efficiency. It can improve fuel economy 11% compared the older 6 speed transmission and up to 14% compared to modern 5 speed transmissions. The Chrysler 300 now gets 31 miles per gallon, up from 27 MPG in years prior.

Another benefit is the unusually fast locking torque converter that allows for quicker engagement and limited “slip”. Faster torque converter engagement and less slipping means less wear and tear on the clutches inside the unit and the longer it will last. Since torque converters take the most abuse and often have higher failure rates than other components inside a transmission, this improvement means a longer life expectancy of the transmission. Since transmission repair is often one of the most costly repairs on a vehicle this comes as a huge benefit to the consumer.

An additional benefit this improved transmission can offer is extremely smooth shifts that happen so quickly they often cannot be sensed by the driver. They also offer great advantages to the power enthusiast as they can handle over 650 ft.-lbs. of torque! Weighing only 200 lbs. these new units offer a great mix of power and efficiency.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Where did the 0-60 time come from? Car and Driver got low 14s in the 1/4 while Motor Trend got 15s, all on the 2020 Escape Titanium. So far no one has confirmed whether the 2020 Escape Titanium is either a budget performance SUV or another run of the mill SUV.

But you didn't mention the 2020 is lighter and has a bit more power.

You should look at the 2015 to 2018 Edge Sport 6F55 vs 2019 Edge ST 8Fxx acceleration figures. The Edge Sport is faster with the same engine and with a 6 speed.

The 8 and 9 speeds add extra OD gears which will give you a boost in fuel economy but there's extra shifting involved which slows you down. The 2-3 is ridiculously short in the 8 speed. Each shift takes about 0.25 seconds to complete.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
The zero to 60 times comes from the zero to 60 website.
I suppose Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and a host of other car manufacturers (just about all 2020 models) should have stuck with 6 speed transmissions and changed their final gear ratios instead of updating their transmissions.

Point well taken. Live & learn.

Have a nice day!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
So I believe the story behind "GM's" 9-speed on the Traverse is that they added 3 gears to the 6F50 or 6F35 for a smoother driving experience and better fuel economy. Ford found they could get the same mpg goal with just 8 gears and took 1 of them out. The Ford Edge ST takes the 6F55 and adds 2 extra gears, but if you map out the OSS vs engine RPM or watch an onboard WOT run, the 2-3 is ridiculously short like almost unnecessary. So you just wasted an extra shift in their for no real good reason. The Ford 10R60/10R80 gearing is also almost just as bad. There are at least 2 gears that can be skipped AND keep an EcoBoost 2.7/3.0 V6 in its powerband at WOT (above 4k RPM) but instead you deal with ridiculously short gears and waste time with 2 shifts.

Adding an extra gear or 2 for better MPG makes sense, because you can spread out the gearing towards the numerically higher gears to prevent lugging. One of the killers of fuel economy is cruising at 75-80 mph w/ the A/C on and having your engine screaming at 2500-3000 RPM. The girlfriend's 2015 Malibu LTZ w/ 2.0 LTG GTDI has 2.77 final drive and the 6T70 gearing is basically the same as the 6F55. At 80 mph, it is below 2000 RPM. I'm not surprised we were getting 30-35 mpg on a cross the country trip (5000+ miles worth of driving) even going up/down the mountains in Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana. I see that carry over in the Camaro SS with 2.77 final drive and getting like 27 mpg highway, versus Ford Mustang GT with 3.15 final drive standard with 3.55 optional and 3.73 on the track pack. It makes more sense to get a Camaro SS for a grand touring car as it has usable range thanks to its better fuel economy and larger fuel tank. The S550 Mustang GT gets like 3-4 mpg lower than the Camaro SS and a smaller fuel tank.

Anyhow back to the Edge ST vs Edge Sport. Here's Car and Driver and Motor Trend basically saying the older Edge Sport with the 6F55 was faster:

Now about the 2020 Escape Titanium... Car and Driver got 14.3 in the 1/4 mile while Motor Trend saw a mediocre average 15.3 in the 1/4 mile. I'm inclined to believe Motor Trend because the weight to power ratio doesn't justify a low 14 second 1/4 mile ET.

If you look at the 2017 Escape Titanium test:

The weight reduction and power increase for 2020 (-100 lb, gain of 5 hp) yields about an equivalent 15 hp increase at the 1/4 mile track, so the 2020 should be a few tenths faster than the older model... Which the Motor Trend test confirms. The Car and Driver test for the 2020 was like 1 second faster in 0-60 and 1/4 mile, which makes no sense as that's like a delta of about 100 hp (tuned vs. un-tuned as an example).

But my point was that the 2 extra gears in the transmission isn't responsible for faster acceleration. The idea is to keep the engine in its powerband during WOT acceleration, or for a smoother driving experience. But with turbochargers, like the EcoBoost V6s we have, make most of its torque above 4k RPM (3k for the 3.5L) which the 6F55 does perfectly fine. The 8Fxx messes things up with that 2-3, and if you skip one of those gears on the 8Fxx, you are screwed because you end up in the wrong RPM. On the 10R60 with the Explorer ST, you can actually skip 2 of the gears and still be always at or above 4K RPM at WOT. More gears makes sense if applied correctly for the right reasons. Lately, it seems Ford just doesn't give a sh*t and throws stuff out into market. Their programmed shift schedule for the 11-19 Explorer's 6F55 was not set correctly.

Reactions: ArthurUSCG

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 2017 FFS, my wife has a 2019 Accord Sport 6-speed. The Fusion pulls way harder from a stop and is the better highway car due to noise cancellation, better audio, and overall comfort featured The Accord is a hoot to drive for the tighter suspension, lower weight, lower center of gravity (I swear I'm sitting 2-3" lower in the Accord and my knees agree when getting in/out), and the stock blow off valve makes a sweet whoosh sound on shifts that you don't get in the Fusion.

I like to play in the Accord every now and then to bring the kid out in me, but prefer the Fusion for daily driving and surprising people at red lights.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'll add that the Accord does pull very strong at WOT once the boost builds. It's very planted for FWD, just not from a dead stop. It also takes longer than the Fusion to get the turbo working for whatever reason - I assume the Accord turbo is larger than either of the Fusion turbos which adds to the perceived lag.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts