Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on Car & Driver they had a long term test for 2018 Accord 2.0 turbo. This Accord has 252HP and 273LBS of torque. It has way less in HP and Torque than the FS yet it gets way more out of those numbers than the FS. The beginning time for the Accord 0-60 was 5.7 seconds by 40,000 miles it went down to 5.3 seconds and the quarter mile was 13.9. These numbers are very close to the FS if not right on them. I realize the Accord is lighter and has a 10 speed transmission but it just doesn't look good for FS with the numbers it has to not be much quicker than the Accord. The Accord can also be tuned. I am surprised that with only front wheel drive it can get those numbers. The Accord also managed 29 to 30 mpg which is way better than my FS which has been 20 mpg and I don't push it that much. I think overall the Fusion is a nicer car in that it is definitely quieter. I think the Accord has a poor stereo also. Just throwing this out here. I like my FS the only thing I have not liked is the leaking oil pan at about 1800 miles, it has been fixed but I still am not sure it won't happen again with out that oil leak it would have been very nice.

DTD

·
Registered
587 Posts
Meh, tell that to the Accord Sport that tried to race me off a stop light to cut me off.
I put about 2 school buses on him before he knew what happened, I was running a 93 octane tune though.

I drive mostly highway and running Torrie's MPG tune for the winter and I'm getting 26-27 MPG's.

City driving, forget about it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've not driven the Accord 2.0 T... with that caveat, Ford did well with providing our Sports with AWD, and when I couple the AWD with the ginormous torque that's available at any reasonable speed, I'll keep my FFS over an Accord 2.0T, even a brand new one. There's so much torque available, it's very rare that I'll push the accelerator down more than 1/4 of the way. I'll keep my Sport over other cars too, even ones that cost a lot more, because of my experience with my Sport.

Reactions: Flew

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's the weight. The Achilles Heel of our cars is their weight. The Accord is like 800 pounds lighter. Some of that is that it's FWD, but it's also just a newer, more modern design.

But our cars are WAY better looking.
I'm willing to bet some credit also goes to the 10 speed transmission. As well, Sport's equipped with the 401A package tip the scales at just over 4200lbs, about 100lbs more than base Sport's. But yeah, considering that C&D's long termer weighs 3312lbs, the difference in weigh does make a difference. And yes, our car is better looking, second only to the sexier Mazda 6.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I noticed on Car & Driver they had a long term test for 2018 Accord 2.0 turbo. This Accord has 252HP and 273LBS of torque. It has way less in HP and Torque than the FS yet it gets way more out of those numbers than the FS. The beginning time for the Accord 0-60 was 5.7 seconds by 40,000 miles it went down to 5.3 seconds and the quarter mile was 13.9. These numbers are very close to the FS if not right on them. I realize the Accord is lighter and has a 10 speed transmission but it just doesn't look good for FS with the numbers it has to not be much quicker than the Accord. The Accord can also be tuned. I am surprised that with only front wheel drive it can get those numbers. The Accord also managed 29 to 30 mpg which is way better than my FS which has been 20 mpg and I don't push it that much. I think overall the Fusion is a nicer car in that it is definitely quieter. I think the Accord has a poor stereo also. Just throwing this out here. I like my FS the only thing I have not liked is the leaking oil pan at about 1800 miles, it has been fixed but I still am not sure it won't happen again with out that oil leak it would have been very nice.

DTD
And the FS does the exact same 0-60 in even a driving rain (it rains here a min of once a week, sometimes 3-4 days in a row).
And this is straight line. Try pulling out of a side street onto back roads with 50 MPH speed limits (which means 60+ usually)
around "rush hour". Sometimes you could wait forever or if you have AWD and the power, you can squirt in with accel times
while turning 90 degrees, that no 2WD (either end) could come close to.

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Adding fuel to the fire.
The Accord 2.0 is not even as good as the Civic SI 2.0.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-exactly-what-makes-the-2018-honda-accord-and-civi-1820164645

and has been tuned upwards of 390W ft-lbs (that must be a nightmare with only FWD).

https://www.accordxclub.com/threads/tuned-and-dyno.6692/

I'm guessing that is really pushing the edge of the Accords IHI RHF5 flow limit (which I tried to find, but couldn't).

Compare that with Fusion, which also has turbos with relatively low flow limit, but you are pushing that torque
(and hot air due to turbo inefficiencies) through 50% more pistons and rods, on a 35% larger motor and here's the real kicker,
that motor was designed to pull around a 4WD, Supercab, 1/2 ton truck (it's also why if you blow one up out of warantee, there will
be millions to get another in the yards).

Taking it even further, EVO's have done this power (with new rods at minimum over 400W ft-lbs) for 15 odd years on a 2.0, so I guess
it's possible on a Honda, but I'll wait until I see anything near that to say it could happen.

https://5startuning.com/540-wheel-horsepower/

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a fwd car that had 400wtq and it couldn’t get traction without slicks. I’d rather have the fusion anyway. More interior room too!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The 10 speed wouldn't necessarily help acceleration. It can help keep the engine operating in the proper powerband but in terms of WOT acceleration, you're looking at possibly an extra 1 or 2 shifts which cost you fractions of seconds in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I did consider the Accord Sport 2.0T when shopping for the Fusion simply due to the Manual trans. I wouldn't bother with that car with an Auto. Yeah, it's faster with the 10sp Auto, so what... It's about the driving experience for me.

Ultimately, I choose the Fusion over the Accord due to AWD and features. I have a 70 mile daily commute and AWD mixed with Winter Tires gave me the most confidence in the winter (when dealing with people that can't drive in snow).

Honestly, it's choice I second guess all the time, as I really miss driving a manual trans. I have a 94' Mustang GT with a Manual to get my "fix" (but that seems to be in storage more than it's out lately), but would have loved it if the Fusion was a manual! Talk about a true S6 Competitor!!! I still say it's more Audi A6 in size than A4, and bothers me with them compare a compact with a midsize.

Anyway, I know I'm the minority these days, but I choose an interactive driving experience over performance number bragging rights/stoplight races. Give me a manual and a winding country road all day long!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Meh, tell that to the Accord Sport that tried to race me off a stop light to cut me off.
I put about 2 school buses on him before he knew what happened, I was running a 93 octane tune though.

I drive mostly highway and running Torrie's MPG tune for the winter and I'm getting 26-27 MPG's.

City driving, forget about it.
You do realize that most sports don;t have the 2.0 motor so they are pretty slow.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I'm willing to bet some credit also goes to the 10 speed transmission. As well, Sport's equipped with the 401A package tip the scales at just over 4200lbs, about 100lbs more than base Sport's. But yeah, considering that C&D's long termer weighs 3312lbs, the difference in weigh does make a difference. And yes, our car is better looking, second only to the sexier Mazda 6.
No doubt. I just had a 2.0, 8 speed edge for a loaner and although heavier than the Fusion, it
wasn't horrible getting around town. I just kept thinking what "coulda been". Lower weight fusion sport
with Linc 3.0 and 8 speed would have been 12 second car stock, easy and 11's with just a tune.
Ford could have done that with base price of 40ish too.

As for any current FWD (or RWD for that matter). Unless you get a guy next to you who has drag raced
a decent amount, the race is OVER by halfway through an intersection. By the other side of intersection,
I'm 2 car lengths typically.

And if there is rain, I don't even try to launch hard, no need, I absolutely kill everything else.
I also live in pine barrens so roads many times have a lot of sand that gets washed all over them.
So even on a dry day, that Honda loser better be bringing the drag radials.

·
Registered
270 Posts
No doubt. I just had a 2.0, 8 speed edge for a loaner and although heavier than the Fusion, it
wasn't horrible getting around town. I just kept thinking what "coulda been". Lower weight fusion sport
with Linc 3.0 and 8 speed would have been 12 second car stock, easy and 11's with just a tune.
Ford could have done that with base price of 40ish too.

As for any current FWD (or RWD for that matter). Unless you get a guy next to you who has drag raced
a decent amount, the race is OVER by halfway through an intersection. By the other side of intersection,
I'm 2 car lengths typically.

And if there is rain, I don't even try to launch hard, no need, I absolutely kill everything else.
I also live in pine barrens so roads many times have a lot of sand that gets washed all over them.
So even on a dry day, that Honda loser better be bringing the drag radials.
Couldn't agree more with you.
And just to add, nothing short of specifically designed 4x4s, there's not much that can match the FS off the mark in heavy snow. Not that I'm drag racing, just able to pull away without slipping - even compared to AWD SUVs. Ford did a good job with the AWD logic and the torque makes all the difference. Hills made no difference either - well going up them. Coming down step hills in snow is exciting either way but the weight of our cars adds a little spice to it.

On the Accord debate I would be going for the V6 Touring over the sport if I had to. I feel that is more comparable in power and options. Comes in AWD also. If it's all about the speed, then the civic turbo is pretty handy due to power to weight ratio.

Always comes back to the FS is a very good allrounder in its class.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Accord has AWD now, haven't seen that?
My error. Rechecked with my co-worker on his Accord. It doesn't have AWD. I thought it did. Mistook the dealer badge that he had on the trunk as an AWD badge. My apologies.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
My error. Rechecked with my co-worker on his Accord. It doesn't have AWD. I thought it did. Mistook the dealer badge that he had on the trunk as an AWD badge. My apologies.
And hence why the FS really has no competition, except maybe the Stinger. But even that you have to spend $50K+ to
get the adjustable suspension.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
My girlfriend has a 2019 top of the line touring Accord. In terms of road noise, engine noise, suspension, ride quality, comfort, and overall sophisticated drivability, the FFS is far superior in my opinion.
When it comes to rear passenger space, fuel economy, front visibility, and especially how large the car feels, the Accord is way better.

Fortunately, my priorities lay in the first paragraph.

Finally, at least after a year, the FFS is way less expensive. The key, buy the FFS used with low miles and I think it is by far the best used car value on the market.

If the FFS had a 10 speed, it would be even faster with improved gas mileage.

Look how much the 2020 Escape improved with the extra gears. As far as the looks of the 2020 Escape, meh.

Still can't believe Ford dropped the Fusion.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts