Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just picked up a 2017 Fusion Sport with 27k miles about a week ago and it seems to have a bit of a shudder when accelerating from a stop, while turning. I've tried finding any info at all on this but haven't had too much luck so I am not sure if this is extremely uncommon.

From what I understand, the RDU on these cars has electronically controlled dry clutches and maybe they are locked which is what's causing the shudder? It only happens if I am turning though, and I'm not sure why that would be the case. It happens a bit in reverse but much more noticeably when moving forward.

Anyone familiar with what might be going on here? I did want to mention, I kept an eye on what the intelligent AWD gauge is showing and it frequently sends a good amount of power to the rear, even when driving very lightly. I was under the impression that power only gets sent to the rear when slipping or driving more aggressively? In case this has anything to do with the shudder.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport 2.7L TT AWD
858 Posts
FIrst, Welcome to the family!

First thing to check is the level of your Transmission Fluid. Dip Stick is located under the Air filter housing, driver side. These cars ship about a quart low from the factory. Wouldn't hurt to have gear oil in the PDU to be changed. Others, including myself, changed it at 30,000 miles. Another thing is to check for transmission leaks.

Probably not the problem, but check your lug nuts and make sure they are snugged down to 150 ft lbs.

Last but no least, previous owner may have tuned the car and failed to return it stock prior to selling it. That could be an issue when having it serviced at the dealership.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and thank you! I am genuinely proud to join the family. I traded my 2015 Camry XSE V6 for this beast. Although the Camry was a bit peppier thanks to the larger naturally aspirated engine (which also made it impossible to hold traction from a dig thanks to FWD), this thing just blows it away once the turbos spool up. And this is a better car in every other measure I could think of, it's incredible. I've missed AWD.

Anyways back to the subject on hand, I attempted to check the transmission fluid level just now, but I didn't realize that the airbox actually needs to be removed to get to the dipstick so I'll have to try again once the sun comes out.

Otherwise, is there any way that I could see if it currently has a tune? I imagine I could just monitor it's boost, I believe that a tune normally gets these up to around 20psi. It would be interesting to see what would happen if it did indeed already have a tune, considering the fact that I purchased a 3yr/36,000mi extended warranty from Allstate for it 🤔

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport 2.7L TT AWD
858 Posts
Someone more knowledgeable that me may be able to tell you, but I do not know how you would know if you have a tune on the car. I only found out when I took my car into the dealership for a software update. My car was CPO and had the car for only a month when the issue needing the update. They tried to blame me for the tune. I was not able to remove it until I purchased my own tune from Unleashed. Torrie was able to get me a stock tune.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the only other thing I could find about this specific shudder is on another forum where someone with a 2015 Fusion was experiencing this as well (shudder only when turning and accelerating from a stop). That person stated that the problem was a viscous coupler in the rear diff, replaced with part # CV6Z-4A232-A (even though that is apparently for a Ford Edge). Would my 2017 Fusion Sport share the same part as that or is our rear diff not the same?

·
Registered
890 Posts
So the only other thing I could find about this specific shudder is on another forum where someone with a 2015 Fusion was experiencing this as well (shudder only when turning and accelerating from a stop). That person stated that the problem was a viscous coupler in the rear diff, replaced with part # CV6Z-4A232-A (even though that is apparently for a Ford Edge). Would my 2017 Fusion Sport share the same part as that or is our rear diff not the same?
Hi Arlenok. The best and most reliable way to obtain the correct part number (and a starting idea on cost) for your particular vehicle is to call, or preferably stop the Parts Department of your local Ford Dealership and ask them. Have your VIN handy, as that is how parts are correctly cross referenced.

Once you have the part number and Dealer cost (probably retail to start off with), you can negotiate with that Dealer, get estimates from other Dealers, and check with online Ford parts sellers to get your best price.

It seems that is the correct part number, but do not take my word for it.

I will also add the "Waldo", one of the members you dealt with over on the Ford Fusion Forum, is a very reliable source of information.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
While the advise given by BBF2530 is the best way to get part numbers, the Fusion and the Edge share a great number of parts. You'll notice the gauge clusters are shared, the driveline options are shared to a degree, they are platform siblings essentially.

Also, don't fall into the habit of just throwing parts at the car. Get it diagnosed at a reputable mechanic/dealership. Then buy parts as needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparently a service bulletin exists for the exact condition that I'm describing and it seems to cover basically every Ford vehicle that uses our RDU, which makes me wonder why I've had such a difficult time finding any info on this. And the replacement part it shows happens to be the same part number I mentioned earlier. I'll have the dealer check it out but here is the service bulletin in case it helps anyone else out:

SSM 46965 - 2013-2018 Various Vehicles - Rear Axle Noise – Low Speed Parking Lot Maneuvers – After Extended Driving

Some 2013-2018 Escape/EcoSport/Edge/MKX/MKC/MKT/Fusion/Flex/Kuga/Mondeo all-wheel drive (AWD) vehicles may exhibit a clunk, thump, grinding, popping, shuddering or chattering from the rear axle when the vehicle is turning during parking lot or figure 8 maneuvers at low speed after extended driving. Replace the RDU clutch using service kit CV6Z-4A232-A. The Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 205-02 has been updated to include this repair. For claiming, use causal part 4A232 and applicable labor operations in Section 04 of the service labor time standards (SLTS) manual.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2014 - 2018 CAR: ED CD539A EDGE
2016 CAR: ED CD539A EDGE
2016 CAR: ED CD539A EDGE
2015 - 2018 CAR: DQ CD539N EDGE
2016 - 2018 CAR: DQ CD539N EDGE
2013 - 2018 TRUCK: M2 C520N ESCAPE
2013 TRUCK: M8 ESCAPE/TRIBUTE (J87)
2013 - 2018 CAR: C7 CD391N FUSION
2013 - 2018 TRUCK: P3 D471N FLEX
2015 - 2018 TRUCK: ME C489N MKC
2013 - 2018 TRUCK: P4 D472N MKT