Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Shadow Black Ford Fusion Sport
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just got a 2017 FFS recently and woke up early last weekend to put some spare roadside tools in the trunk under the carpet where the spare tire sits. Jumper cables, gloves, etc.
To my surprise, there was a hefty amount of condensation underneath there. Like soaked the bottom of the carpet and there were some pools of water under the spare tire amount of condensation. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if it has to relate to the two grommets located in the trunk under the carpet. I will post some photos when I get a chance, but I have personally never seen that much condensation build up. I am hopeful that if it does relate to those wire grommets, they are replaceable.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hello,

Just got a 2017 FFS recently and woke up early last weekend to put some spare roadside tools in the trunk under the carpet where the spare tire sits. Jumper cables, gloves, etc.
To my surprise, there was a hefty amount of condensation underneath there. Like soaked the bottom of the carpet and there were some pools of water under the spare tire amount of condensation. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if it has to relate to the two grommets located in the trunk under the carpet. I will post some photos when I get a chance, but I have personally never seen that much condensation build up. I am hopeful that if it does relate to those wire grommets, they are replaceable.
First, congratulations and welcome to the forum! :cool:

But as far as the water, I wouldn't assume condensation there. I'd actually check two things, because I think it's more likely water running in:

1. The drains on the moonroof may need cleaned out
2. The seals on the trunk lid may have a bad spot and need replaced

Either is a pretty minor thing but will potentially lead to a ton of water in places you don't expect. Personally, my bet would be on the moonroof drains, believe it or not. Open the moon roof and check it out, vacuum them out really well.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, congratulations and welcome to the forum! :cool:

But as far as the water, I wouldn't assume condensation there. I'd actually check two things, because I think it's more likely water running in:

1. The drains on the moonroof may need cleaned out
2. The seals on the trunk lid may have a bad spot and need replaced

Either is a pretty minor thing but will potentially lead to a ton of water in places you don't expect. Personally, my bet would be on the moonroof drains, believe it or not. Open the moon roof and check it out, vacuum them out really well.

I hope this helps!
I wish I could upload the pictures right now, its definitly condenstation, it was a cold damp/light fog morning out in my area and the condenstion was all over the metal in the inside of the trunk under the carpet. Like it wasnt wet on top of the carpet at all, only underneath the carpet and in the spare tire compartment. I will however still check the moonroof drains, first time owning a car with one of those and thats a good thing to check to see if the drains are clear. I believe the trunk liner is in good shape, the car was in good shape in general, the prior owner liked curbing the wheels but other then that is in good shape, just rolled over 29K miles.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I wish I could upload the pictures right now, its definitly condenstation, it was a cold damp/light fog morning out in my area and the condenstion was all over the metal in the inside of the trunk under the carpet. Like it wasnt wet on top of the carpet at all, only underneath the carpet and in the spare tire compartment. I will however still check the moonroof drains, first time owning a car with one of those and thats a good thing to check to see if the drains are clear. I believe the trunk liner is in good shape, the car was in good shape in general, the prior owner liked curbing the wheels but other then that is in good shape, just rolled over 29K miles.
Hi anotherfusion. Your 2017 is still within the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty as far as mileage. Is it still within the warranty time wise? If yes, make a service appointment and let Ford fix it under warranty.

If not, I would follow Engineer's advice.

Also, what Engineer was stating is that the issue you have is not simply "condensation", as you might get on the windshield/windows on a cold day. It is condensation caused by a water leak. So you have a water leak somewhere that is working its way down and running under the carpet (soaking the underside of the carpet), then working it's way to the lowest point (which water does), to the spare tire well. Then it sits there and is causing condensation with the day/night temperature changes and as it evaporates.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi anotherfusion. Your 2017 is still within the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty as far as mileage. Is it still within the warranty time wise? If yes, make a service appointment and let Ford fix it under warranty.

If not, I would follow Engineer's advice.

Also, what Engineer was stating is that the issue you have is not simply "condensation", as you might get on the windshield/windows on a cold day. It is condensation caused by a water leak. So you have a water leak somewhere that is working its way down and running under the carpet (soaking the underside of the carpet), then working it's way to the lowest point (which water does), to the spare tire well. Then it sits there and is causing condensation with the day/night temperature changes and as it evaporates.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
Hi, it is not unfortunately, build date was 7/2017 I believe. I also understand what Engineer is saying and will look into that cause. Though the edges of the carpet were not wet, only the tub/spare tire area. I havent seen any evidence of running water, though I will definitly look at it again and post photos when I get home.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hi, it is not unfortunately, build date was 7/2017 I believe. I also understand what Engineer is saying and will look into that cause. Though the edges of the carpet were not wet, only the tub/spare tire area. I havent seen any evidence of running water, though I will definitly look at it again and post photos when I get home.
Hi anotherfusion. The New Vehicle Warranty in-service date begins on the date the vehicle was purchased by the first buyer, not the build date. So if you have less than 36,000 miles and the original owner purchased it after 11/2/17, your Fusion would still be within the 3 year/36,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty.

You need to ask your Ford Dealer's Service Department what the in-service date of your car was, to determine if it is still within warranty.

Let us know how you make out and good luck..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Finally had time to upload the photos, they are attached here, haven't got a change to do the other suggestions. I will try to this weekend. Thank you all for your help.
Hey,

I actually worked on this exact problem in my 2018 FFS. I bought the car brand new. Some dummy at the factory installed the trunk sill plate on top of the trunk gasket. You can try to use a body trim shim to slide the rubber gasket on top of the trunk sill. I can see the condition your trunk sill is in and it looks exactly like mine did. I will attach images that show the fix.

If that doesn't work you have to pull the whole sill off but there are two push fasteners that you have to remove first before the sill can come out. They are trashed after you remove them so I ordered extra from these guys.(You're welcome. It took me a little while to figure out this part number) -W715926-S300 - Genuine Ford Base No. #HM Fastener The round circles on this sill diagram image I attached are where those go. Then you pull that whole plate off, there are about 4 or 6 clips holding it in place. Reposition back in place as best you can and then use a trim tool to get that gasket ON TOP of the sill.

I only figured this out because I accidentally popped that spring loaded flapper out of place and discovered corrosion on the spring because the seal was placed improperly from the get go. I always thought it looked incorrect and my hunch was right. If you have questions about this, I'm happy to help. IMG_3672.jpeg IMG_3673.jpeg 932c23f50c7a6e94f3897d8f100fa387.png

·
Registered
14 Posts
I literally just found this in my sport this afternoon as well. Condensation all over the spare tire and jack.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey,

I actually worked on this exact problem in my 2018 FFS. I bought the car brand new. Some dummy at the factory installed the trunk sill plate on top of the trunk gasket. You can try to use a body trim shim to slide the rubber gasket on top of the trunk sill. I can see the condition your trunk sill is in and it looks exactly like mine did. I will attach images that show the fix.

If that doesn't work you have to pull the whole sill off but there are two push fasteners that you have to remove first before the sill can come out. They are trashed after you remove them so I ordered extra from these guys.(You're welcome. It took me a little while to figure out this part number) -W715926-S300 - Genuine Ford Base No. #HM Fastener The round circles on this sill diagram image I attached are where those go. Then you pull that whole plate off, there are about 4 or 6 clips holding it in place. Reposition back in place as best you can and then use a trim tool to get that gasket ON TOP of the sill.

I only figured this out because I accidentally popped that spring loaded flapper out of place and discovered corrosion on the spring because the seal was placed improperly from the get go. I always thought it looked incorrect and my hunch was right. If you have questions about this, I'm happy to help. View attachment 27248 View attachment 27249 View attachment 27250

View attachment 27248 View attachment 27249 View attachment 27250
You are so correct I just went out and looked and it is exactly as you described!!! Did this fix your condensation issue completely? I think I will go with the remove the entire trim piece and replace the plugs, just so I don't damage the weather strip any further.Thank you so much for this, I am glad I brought this up on the forms and you already had gone through this. It seems others are having this issue as well like @Barnesyag. I wonder how many Fusions were put together this way?

·
Registered
16 Posts
You are so correct I just went out and looked and it is exactly as you described!!! Did this fix your condensation issue completely? I think I will go with the remove the entire trim piece and replace the plugs, just so I don't damage the weather strip any further.Thank you so much for this, I am glad I brought this up on the forms and you already had gone through this. It seems others are having this issue as well like @Barnesyag. I wonder how many Fusions were put together this way?
I didn’t notice too much moisture in the spare well when I did this repair. However, I barely drive my car and I haven’t been in too much rain In the last six months. My best guess is that it will certainly reduce moisture accumulation because the seal is correct now. I did notice the little spring for the latch cover was starting to rust pretty good, which I can only attribute to the improper installation of the trunk sill. A lot of water gets directed down the back of the trunk there. Try using a shim like in my picture, working the seal over the top of the plastic part from the outside inwards. It seems to be a tougher material that you think. When you get a rhythm with it, it slides over the top of the sill pretty quick. That worked for me. If you can avoid removing the trunk sill plate all together, I think that is ideal. I only removed the whole sill because the flipper cover had popped out of its bracket and there was no way I was going to pop it back into place with the sill installed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Great topic! Went out and checked, same here, gasket under plate. I had just figured dealer washed spare. Took 10 min with a shim tool. No damage, and quite simple. I really appreciate the great info, and pictures to go with. Here is the before and after pics. 20201105_082540.jpg 20201105_090831.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great topic! Went out and checked, same here, gasket under plate. I had just figured dealer washed spare. Took 10 min with a shim tool. No damage, and quite simple. I really appreciate the great info, and pictures to go with. Here is the before and after pics. View attachment 27253 View attachment 27254
Great!!! Glad others are finding this useful. It's a labor of love for me with this car. Ford CONFusion.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Went and checked my trunk. Definitely the same issue described. Same exact placement, gasket under plate
Same. Just fixed the gasket for a proper seating against the lid.

While we are here talking about improper factory installs how about the rear window seal. Check my picture. Is mine in the correct way? I feel like it gets loaded with water in winter and freezes and makes crunching as the body flexes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same. Just fixed the gasket for a proper seating against the lid.

While we are here talking about improper factory installs how about the rear window seal. Check my picture. Is mine in the correct way? I feel like it gets loaded with water in winter and freezes and makes crunching as the body flexes.

View attachment 27264
Mine looks like this. To me it looks correct. It’s positioned for the direction of travel of the car. I don’t know about what it is like in freezing conditions because I live in Florida. I am a pilot by profession and one thing we do to keep door seals from freezing at high altitudes is use silicone spray on the seals. That might be worth a try on the gasket.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well, Ford must think that's the way the plate and gasket are supposed to go on as my late build 2019 also has it this way. Plate over the gasket.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
My Jan 2017 build was the same way, but I don't see how seating the sill over the gasket is going to cause a leak because the sealing surface is the rubber part that touches the trunk?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's an update on my situation, another foggy morning, went to go check the trunk and found a lot of water. I pulled the plug in the center to drain most of it, I will wait till the sun comes out and kills the fog to clean up the rest of the water that didn't leave. The carpet is so wet that is it starting to grow mold, only had the car about a month now. I plan on leaving the trunk open to help remove some of the moisture and I have since removed the carpet out of the trunk to try and dry it and clean it. I have a few questions, the 2 gaskets in the trunk, are they supposed to be split? One looks like it is split open. The other thing is I found a screw that I do not know what it belongs to if anyone recognizes it please let me know. I also seem to be missing whatever tool goes in that foam cut out? Does anyone have the p/n for it?

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
I checked my 2019 that I bought new this year and there is nothing (no tool) in that foam cut out for mine either.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts