Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

2017 a4 2.0t quattro "under-rated"?

9K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  froshy00 
#1 ·
Was reading through some magazines (im like 6 months to a year behind) and in the "new for 2017" section i found data on the lil a4. Its a 2.0 turbo 4 cyl, 250hp 270tq awd. So first glance our cars are simmilar but the fusion has the audi whooped in power department. Right? Well the drag race would be a close one... 13.8 ish for the audi. Low 5 sec 0to60! Im not gunna quote all the lil details, but i have driven the a4 and its "software" is much more aggressive and responsive compared to our fusions. Hard to say power wise if audi is seriously under rating or what... but it goes when ya push the gas!

Any thought?

Anyone else test drive a new a4?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

#2 ·
That's the thing about the Fusion compared to the German's... BMW and Audi use some really good gearing, which is why they're so quick with less power. They're not light cars, either. I feel like Ford could do much better if they put a little more money into figuring out the transmission gears, but then it would probably beat Mustangs, and that's a no-no at Ford.

Audi's do have a lot more "aggressive" tuning as well.

#3 ·
Ford announced they are moving something like 7 billion dollars from car to truck development. I doubt there will be anything new and exciting coming from their cars for a while unless it is passed over from the trucks.

Not to mention what it will do for their already shaky reliability...

#5 ·
The transmission is a huge weak link in this car. Its so antiquated compared to many manufactures, not just Germans! Gearing, shift quality, shift speed, proper gear selection.... uhg. And even if audis acceloration was all gearing it be screaming on the highway.... gettinf bad mileage. So i dont think its all gearing related.

#6 ·
No it's definitely not all gearing related, but that is a big part of the equation. My buddy is a VW/Audi guy, so I've gotten some experience with them. The Germans do a lot of things differently, and they do cost more.

Remember, a basic tune that gets rid of the torque limiting in the first couple gears help a lot on its own in the early stages of tunes for these cars.

The Germans do (usually) make a car as good, sporty, and fast as they see ideal. Ford made the Sport to be quick while keeping in mind they have a new RS, the STs, and the Mustang under "Ford Performance"... Their biggest selling fmaily sedan can't be faster than those! The Fusion Sport was never meant to be a sports car (despite Ford's early advertising), and that goes for the 6F55 transmission as well. They're great, but their primary intentions are not being sporty.

So, there's a lot of factors. As we see constantly on these forums, there's A LOT holding our cars back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kevin74
#11 ·
Ford made the Sport to be quick while keeping in mind they have a new RS, the STs, and the Mustang under "Ford Performance"... Their biggest selling fmaily sedan can't be faster than those!
See, this is where I disagree. IMO, if that is Ford's thinking, they are missing out on a whole nother market and need to fire their marketing director! You think Audi has 5 sport sedans and coupes (not counting sub-trims) that hover in the same area because they are worried that the S3 is going to cannibalize sales of the S4 and S5? No, they understand sub-markets! A true Mustang or RS buyer is never even going to look at a Fusion Sport, no matter how good it is and the reverse...

A buddy just got a brand new 17 A4 Quattro, so we will have to do some "independent testing" ;)

#7 ·
Yes i agree but it doesnt necessarily need to be a rocket and faster then the rs and st and mustangs. It can be just as fast as it is now, but with better software and a better transmission! It would make the car a ton better to drive!

I just thought it was interesting seeing and comparing specs. Funny enough the chevy version of the audi. Cadillac 2.0 rwd something or other... was much much slower. Like 15 sec 1/4!! Sorry dont have magazine in front of me.

#8 ·
I totally agree that Ford should've/could've made the Sport with a much better transmission (programming mostly).

But the simple fact is that we have an awesome "sleeper" sedan, capable of high 12 second 1/4 mile times (with a tune) for a very reasonable price. Though the car is far from perfect, it is a tremendous performance value.

Just my opinion...

#9 ·
Im not arguing that! I just see how much better it coulda been! But if you look strickly at 1/4 mile times. The car isnt that great.... at least i dont think so. But when you look at the whole package. Seats are pretty nice, interior in general is great... although on cheaper side, sound system is very adequate, ride is fantastic! One of the best if driven recently, its quiet. Aaaaand its fast. To me... if you look only at performance, spec wise its alright only.

#10 ·
Now that I'll completely agree with. Personally, the overall package is what makes me love this car. If a Focus or WRX performed the same as this car, I think I'd be upset. But the other aspects of it make it a **** good car to own.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#21 ·
You know if we are comparing sports sedans I think we should throw in my second choice to the sport.

The Porsche Panamera Turbo! Starting at only $150,000 you get AWD, 4 doors 550hp and a 3.4 sec. 0-60 time.

I ended up going with the sport though because I wanted the Apple CarPlay. That was a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
There was a whole thread dedicated to other cars that people could buy instead of the fusion sport, and of course people were throwing out higher priced cars like Audi's and the such, and people were arguing back and forth. So I said the same thing as you after someone said that AWD performance was there only consideration.

Some people are throwing out some foolish comments about the whole thing. Ultimately, people are picking the Fusion Sport because for the price point, nothing comes close. Sure, you can spend a lot more money and get some nicer features, or better performance, or yadda yadda... but for under 40K, good luck finding something comparable.

#24 ·
None of us are missing the point. You are talking about the opportunity to get into a similar vehicle as ours, although its only similar in certain aspects, that is significantly more money. The thing is, once you start playing the game of, spend a little more for a little better in this aspect, or that aspect, you can keep doing that until you are up to a $200K car.

The other side to this, and I see it on every car specific forum I have been a part of, is you are on a forum for A SPECIFIC CAR!!! Why come on to a forum of owners of a specific car and start spewing crap about how there are potentially better cars out there? I don't think anyone on here doesn't realize that an Audi is going to be nicer, but is that cost increase worth it? To me, the answer is no. To some the question is, can I afford that difference, and the answer is no.

I would love to have an Audi RS7 or an S8, but number one, that would stretch my budget. I could afford it, but I don't want to spend that much on a car. Number two is its not worth it to me.

But to answer your original question, yes, I test drove an A4, and I wasn't impressed enough to spend that much money on something I saw as being marginally better, between the up front cost and cost of maintenance, it sure as **** wasn't worth it to me. If I could get one that long term would cost the same as my fusion sport, then maybe I would have thought about it, but I know all to well what kind of nightmares the German's maintenance costs can be. And if I am going to spend that kind of money, there would be other options for me. But again, this is all my opinion, and others can agree with me or disagree with me, I don't give a **** either way. That's the best part about the car culture, there are so many choices out there.

#26 ·
The thing is you are missing my point.

Never said i wanted a new car.

Never said i was comparing all features.

Never mentioned price

All i said was... ill quote my first post.

"Was reading through some magazines (im like 6 months to a year behind) and in the "new for 2017" section i found data on the lil a4. Its a 2.0 turbo 4 cyl, 250hp 270tq awd. So first glance our cars are simmilar but the fusion has the audi whooped in power department. Right? Well the drag race would be a close one... 13.8 ish for the audi. Low 5 sec 0to60! Im not gunna quote all the lil details, but i have driven the a4 and its "software" is much more aggressive and responsive compared to our fusions. Hard to say power wise if audi is seriously under rating or what... but it goes when ya push the gas!

Any thought?

Anyone else test drive a new a4?"

That was it!

It was you all who brought up all the bs i wasent even talking about! I was just curious if....

Audi is sandbagging a ton, and or is that a4 just that much a better combo? In relation to 0to60 and 1/4 mile compared to our cars. Because on paper our cars SEEM TO be the one that should smash the audi. 50 more hp and over 100 lbft torque more!

I didnt think my question was so hard. Bur apparently german cars cost more because "lots of things" and therefore the ford is better.

So...... back to toppic then if yall want to participate. is the 400lbs the fusion weighs over the audi enough to "use up" the extra available power the fusion has?

#25 ·
I am about to start looking at cars to eventually replace my TL, Daily Driver. Car will never see a Track.
I am in So Cal and really don't need AWD, but with big power FWD has it's limits. I am a big guy so need to be comfortable with a decent back seat for customers.
Current Honda Accord Touring V6, very good, didn't like the 2 screen interface, and no radio knobs
Drove the Fusion Sport, tighter inside, more swoopy, didn't seem especially quick, will re test drive. Needs an 8 or 10 speed Auto, and cut about 300 lb.
Drove the V6 '17 Camry XSE, didn't like it, couldn't get comfortable, seemed to run well
Will Ck. the '18 V6 Camry XSE. No cooled seats, Grr
Will Ck. the 2.0 Honda Accord Touring, w/10 speed Auto when available. Has cooled seats
Will ck. the New A4, Infiniti Q50, and New Acura...
I will pick one and order it. Fusion seems to be the best buy for the buck MSRP of $ 41K, loaded. Discounts available, of course.

#27 ·
You are off my toppic but you have a well layed out comment...
I agree more speeds would help the fusion. But even a better shifting 6 speed would be welcome.

The a4 backseat isnt any beter then fusion, and the fusion rides nicer!

Only other car close to your list i can compare is kia optima and it was fantastic "bang for buck"

If ya like room subaru has a few car suv "hybrid' things. Not tall like explorer but lots of room inside! Just havta deal with a cvt trans (i hate um) or get stick shift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.