Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Ford Fusion SE with 162,373 miles as of now, 9/26/20. Back in November, 2019, I started having multiple electrical issues all occurring simultaneously. Powered mirrors not working, or working intermittently. Same with cruise control... took the car to my mechanic, who scoped it. He stated it was throwing all kinds of multiple error codes admins suggested I take it to a dealership. $6000 and 3 1/2 months later, and a new PCM module, two wiring harnesses, a new battery, new AC compressor later I got my car back. Now, I’m having similar issues where sitting in the car with the ignition off, the dash and cabin lights will suddenly just come on and go off repeatedly! Also, my battery runs down during this. I just took my car to my mechanic who stated that my charging system and battery are fine, so I’m at a loss! I don’t want to take my car back to that dealership as I believe they ripped me off while also doing shoddy work! Anyone know if the work they did, which I believe is warranteed, would be honored by another Ford dealership? I now have to boost my car every time I turn it off!

HELP!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Wow I'm sorry to hear about that @Ascottbag ! That's a lot of bad stuff happening. I agree with the general idea that I'd suspect the harnesses (mice?) and the battery. But all that has been checked and or replaced by now. Honestly if it were me I'd consider whether it was worth hanging on to a 13 SE at this point with those miles on it giving me that much trouble. I'd probably just trade it in. But if you want to keep it I'd throw a battery in. I know you had it checked already. But these modern cars go crazy if the battery is bad and it won't always show up on a test. Did they do a discharge test or just a voltage check? Because unless they did a load/discharge test it won't catch a lot. Also just be aware this is a Fusion Sport forum so nobody on here will likely have any 2013-specific info because the Sports weren't made that year.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have a 2013 Ford Fusion SE with 162,373 miles as of now, 9/26/20. Back in November, 2019, I started having multiple electrical issues all occurring simultaneously. Powered mirrors not working, or working intermittently. Same with cruise control... took the car to my mechanic, who scoped it. He stated it was throwing all kinds of multiple error codes admins suggested I take it to a dealership. $6000 and 3 1/2 months later, and a new PCM module, two wiring harnesses, a new battery, new AC compressor later I got my car back. Now, I’m having similar issues where sitting in the car with the ignition off, the dash and cabin lights will suddenly just come on and go off repeatedly! Also, my battery runs down during this. I just took my car to my mechanic who stated that my charging system and battery are fine, so I’m at a loss! I don’t want to take my car back to that dealership as I believe they ripped me off while also doing shoddy work! Anyone know if the work they did, which I believe is warranteed, would be honored by another Ford dealership? I now have to boost my car every time I turn it off!

HELP!
Hi Ascottbag. The warranty on Ford parts and labor for retail repairs is usually 2 years. Not sure if that will be honored by another Dealership though. It would probably be up to the individual Dealership discretion.

First, I would take it back to the original Dealership that performed the work and give them a shot. Electrical issues can be tricky to diagnose and repair (although for $6,000, I would think they should have been able get it done).

If they can not diagnose and repair it correctly this time, then It may be better to call Ford Customer Relations for an answer on the other Dealership warranty question. Or call around to your other local Ford Dealerships, explain the situation and see what they say.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Ascottbag. The warranty on Ford parts and labor for retail repairs is usually 2 years. Not sure if that will be honored by another Dealership though. It would probably be up to the individual Dealership discretion.

First, I would take it back to the original Dealership that performed the work and give them a shot. Electrical issues can be tricky to diagnose and repair (although for $6,000, I would think they should have been able get it done).

If they can not diagnose and repair it correctly this time, then It may be better to call Ford Customer Relations for an answer on the other Dealership warranty question. Or call around to your other local Ford Dealerships, explain the situation and see what they say.

Wow I'm sorry to hear about that @Ascottbag ! That's a lot of bad stuff happening. I agree with the general idea that I'd suspect the harnesses (mice?) and the battery. But all that has been checked and or replaced by now. Honestly if it were me I'd consider whether it was worth hanging on to a 13 SE at this point with those miles on it giving me that much trouble. I'd probably just trade it in. But if you want to keep it I'd throw a battery in. I know you had it checked already. But these modern cars go crazy if the battery is bad and it won't always show up on a test. Did they do a discharge test or just a voltage check? Because unless they did a load/discharge test it won't catch a lot. Also just be aware this is a Fusion Sport forum so nobody on here will likely have any 2013-specific info because the Sports weren't made that year.

Good luck with it!

Good luck with it!

Thank you for the great info! So, SE doesn’t stand for Sports Edition?

I’m thinking I’ll check with other dealerships to see if they would check out the car to see if the prior dealership’s work was done correctly. I’ve since found other people who’ve felt they were subject to poor work at this particular dealership. By the way, an an engineer, MAYBE you can answer this. This dealership replaced a fairly new battery, about 5 months old that I had purchased from an online parts dealer, Rock Auto.com. I used their system to find the right battery for my car. The dealership replaced it, stating the battery was too powerful for my car. That seemed really strange to me, as I’d never heard of that before. I’ve used RockAuto.com many times before and found them to be very reputable, so, since their system determined that the battery I purchased was the correct battery for my car, I’m still puzzled by the dealership talking me this and replacing it.

Does that sound right to you?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Ascottbag, here is the link to the Ford Fusion Forums. I was member there when I had my SE. There are very knowledgeable guys over there.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Thank you for the great info! So, SE doesn’t stand for Sports Edition?

I’m thinking I’ll check with other dealerships to see if they would check out the car to see if the prior dealership’s work was done correctly. I’ve since found other people who’ve felt they were subject to poor work at this particular dealership. By the way, an an engineer, MAYBE you can answer this. This dealership replaced a fairly new battery, about 5 months old that I had purchased from an online parts dealer, Rock Auto.com. I used their system to find the right battery for my car. The dealership replaced it, stating the battery was too powerful for my car. That seemed really strange to me, as I’d never heard of that before. I’ve used RockAuto.com many times before and found them to be very reputable, so, since their system determined that the battery I purchased was the correct battery for my car, I’m still puzzled by the dealership talking me this and replacing it.

Does that sound right to you?
No that doesn't sound right to me @Ascottbag . I've never heard of a battery being "too powerful" for a car. If the car isn't programmed for the right type of battery, the dealership may need to adjust the setting for you, but "too powerful" isn't something I've ever heard of. It sounds like your dealership isn't very good, honestly. If that's what's happening I'd try to find a better dealership myself. But no, SE isn't for Sport Edition. Actually the SE doesn't stand for anything at all as far as I'm aware. I've heard people say they think it stands for "Special Edition" but I don't even think that's true. It's basically just the model above the S base model. There is the S, SE, SEL, Titanium, Platinum and Sport. The SE usually came with a 1.5 litre or 1.6 litre 4-cylinder. I think in 2013 it was still the 1.6. If I remember right it made about 180 horsepower. The Sports that people on this forum own come with a twin-turbocharged 2.7 litre V6 engine that makes 325 horsepower.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No that doesn't sound right to me @Ascottbag . I've never heard of a battery being "too powerful" for a car. If the car isn't programmed for the right type of battery, the dealership may need to adjust the setting for you, but "too powerful" isn't something I've ever heard of. It sounds like your dealership isn't very good, honestly. If that's what's happening I'd try to find a better dealership myself. But no, SE isn't for Sport Edition. Actually the SE doesn't stand for anything at all as far as I'm aware. I've heard people say they think it stands for "Special Edition" but I don't even think that's true. It's basically just the model above the S base model. There is the S, SE, SEL, Titanium, Platinum and Sport. The SE usually came with a 1.5 litre or 1.6 litre 4-cylinder. I think in 2013 it was still the 1.6. If I remember right it made about 180 horsepower. The Sports that people on this forum own come with a twin-turbocharged 2.7 litre V6 engine that makes 325 horsepower.

I hope this helps.
Thanks again! Your response mirrors what I’ve heard from others as well about the battery being “too powerful”.
I may see if there is someone I can contact at Ford corporate HQ that MIGHT listen. Since I’ve been told that there are others who feel that they too have been purposely ripped off by this dealership, I’m going to talk to an attorney about a class action suit. For the current issue though, I’m really hesitant to take the car back to this dealership for fear of what they may do to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts