Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if anyone knew whether the 2.7L Twin Turbo V6 engine has a Timing Chain or a Timing Belt in it?

Thanks!

Russ.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am not a mechanic but I have had two prior cars (VW) with timing chains. For those cars the dealer and the manufacturer sent me multiple notices to make it very clear to me how important it was to replace the timing chain every 80k miles. The dealer told me the nagging was because if the chain fails then the motor is basically toast and if it fails while you're driving it can be a safety issue.

So what is the failure mode of the chain on this car?
What is the time-to-replace?

·
Registered
293 Posts
What vw did you have? All the chain engines ive ever worked on are "mantinance free" belts are another story.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Passats, 1999 sedan and 2001 wagon. Both have the 1.8Turbo engine.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Vert is correct, we have a chain.

I am not a mechanic but I have had two prior cars (VW) with timing chains. For those cars the dealer and the manufacturer sent me multiple notices to make it very clear to me how important it was to replace the timing chain every 80k miles. The dealer told me the nagging was because if the chain fails then the motor is basically toast and if it fails while you're driving it can be a safety issue.

So what is the failure mode of the chain on this car?
What is the time-to-replace?
The two year Passats you had use timing belts for all engines (except the W8 engine that very few people had).

Timing chains don't have service intervals, they're there for the life of the engine unless you catch it wearing down/failing.

Reactions: cyclone87

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had a 1995 VW Jetta that the timing chain failed at about 37K miles. Fortunately I was just off the highway into a parking lot and barely moving or else the engine would have been junk.
The 2.7 Eco looks like a roller chain in the cutaway pics. I haven't seen any lifespan or maintenance info.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Haha no problem. It wouldn't surprise me if the service writer didn't read correctly and it's just stuck with you since, or something like that. My buddy is just a huge VW/Audi guy, so I've unfortunately gotten pretty knowledgeable on VAG products.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ha! I found one my VW service receipts and it clearly says belt. I have no idea why I always thought it was a chain. Thanks for the correction.
They do have a small chain between the 2 camshafts... but no sercive interval. So lets just say you were kinda right!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts