Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car pre-owned last summer and the car had 20" wheels on it. I loved the look but quickly found out what happens to low-grade tires over the winter. About 4 flats later I am looking to put on 18" wheels that i want to keep on permanently. I know from reading discussions that there can be an issue with the fit but I dont know how to find that out. When i use something like tirerack, it shows a ton of 18" wheels and 235/45R18 tires. Would any 235/45R18 tires fit?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I,ve got 245 45 18's on mine with 40mm offset and now issues with rubbing. These were off my 13 2.0 so I knew they would work fine since it has the same brakes in the front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I,ve got 245 45 18's on mine with 40mm offset and now issues with rubbing. These were off my 13 2.0 so I knew they would work fine since it has the same brakes in the front.
Appreciate the response. To be honest not really sure what offset means haha. But I guess thats my main question, would any 245 45 18’s work? I would think so because theyre all the same size but I just wanted to make sure before buying anything

·
Super Moderator
1,455 Posts
Appreciate the response. To be honest not really sure what offset means haha. But I guess thats my main question, would any 245 45 18’s work? I would think so because theyre all the same size but I just wanted to make sure before buying anything
No, not all 18's work. A lot don't clear the front calipers due to the offset. There are a couple threads around here with 18's that people have installed which you can work off of. Alternatively, Tire Rack has a good sort-of guarantee that anything listed for your vehicle fits (just test fit one before you get tires mounted - it'll save you some back-and-forth with them).

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hi deannj. As DaMiFo stated, not all 18" wheels will work. Unless you are buying from a seller who guarantees the fit (such as The Tire Rack etc.), you really should learn what "offset", "bolt pattern", "centerbore" and other wheel terms mean. Or at least have a better understanding, before you buy something you may not be able to return for a refund.

Just as an example, and perhaps I am mistaken, but you sometimes seem to refer to "245 45 18’s" as though that is a wheel size. However, 245/45-18 refers to a tire size that fits on an 18" wheel. So yes, a 245/45-18 will fit on a Fusion, on a properly sized and spec'd 18" wheel. However, you also must make sure you buy a set of 18" wheels that fit the Fusion (i.e. the proper offset, centerbore, bolt pattern etc.).

So also going back to your original post: Yes, any 235/45-18 (or 245/45-18 etc.) tire will fit the Fusion, as long as it is on a properly sized and spec'd 18" wheel. So that means an 18" wheel with the correct wheel width, offset, centerbore, bolt pattern etc.

Take a look at this link and read the explanations/definitions of those terms mentioned above (and others). Then you can make a more educated decision: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tiretech.jsp?tab=Wheels

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Reactions: Shawnski and DaMiFo

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport Ecoboost AWD
33 Posts
There is a website that will help you with visualization of a set of stock wheels and tires and compare them to another set of aftermarket wheels and tires. It allows you to understand what changing measurements virtually without spending money.

Custom wheels, rim tire packages

So, the FFS has a factory tire dimension of 235 x 45 x 19: on an 8 inch wheel width: with a 55 offset or ET.

You will then be able to choose another set of measurements for a second set of dimensions to compare.
As you change the second set of dimensions a third chart on the website will explain the dimensional changes between the two sets, such as suspension, speed and fender clearance, etc.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I bought this car pre-owned last summer and the car had 20" wheels on it. I loved the look but quickly found out what happens to low-grade tires over the winter. About 4 flats later I am looking to put on 18" wheels that i want to keep on permanently. I know from reading discussions that there can be an issue with the fit but I dont know how to find that out. When i use something like tirerack, it shows a ton of 18" wheels and 235/45R18 tires. Would any 235/45R18 tires fit?
Hi deannj. Jeez...I had a brain cloud, and mastadon27's post woke me up.

You want to keep the overall wheel/tire diameter as close to stock as possible. Therefore, if you downsize to an 18" wheel, you need may need to up-size the sidewall to a 50 series tire. This will all depend on what tread width you decide to go with (235 or 245).

The links you have been given will explain all of this. Keep us updated and good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Youve all been huge helps. The links really helped especially. Ive done plenty of research and am currently looking at these wheels with 235/45 r18 tires that I found at a good price:

One thing that I am still having trouble finding is if these wheels will clear the calipers. Its one thing that I dont see from these links and I am not sure how to find it out. At this point I am planning on asking someone to mount one of these wheels just to test it before I buy it. Although I expect that is going to be a challenge in and of itself.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport Ecoboost AWD
33 Posts
Youve all been huge helps. The links really helped especially. Ive done plenty of research and am currently looking at these wheels with 235/45 r18 tires that I found at a good price:

One thing that I am still having trouble finding is if these wheels will clear the calipers. Its one thing that I dont see from these links and I am not sure how to find it out. At this point I am planning on asking someone to mount one of these wheels just to test it before I buy it. Although I expect that is going to be a challenge in and of itself.
It depends on who the "someone" you are working with to both buy and mount those wheels. I chose to use the search feature from tirerack to specify the wheels I eventually purchased. Tirerack has a local dealership that they work with in my town and the Tirerack agent told them if the wheel I wanted to purchase was going to work with the FFS stock brakes. The wheel I chose was an 18 inch from BBS, which appeared in the search list along with the variable of construction I chose. I chose BBS due to their great quality reputation. Remember you get what you pay for, and I was willing to pay more for the BBS quality.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I thought the FFS brakes were an upgrade from the rest of the Gen2 Fusions. Am I wrong about that? I was thinking ours were a little bigger/more heavy-duty.

·
Super Moderator
1,455 Posts
I thought the FFS brakes were an upgrade from the rest of the Gen2 Fusions. Am I wrong about that? I was thinking ours were a little bigger/more heavy-duty.
They are - our 2G Sports have bigger brakes than both the 1G & 1.5G Fusions (including Sport) and non-Sport 2G Fusions.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
350 Posts
The standard is 300mm rotors in the front, and the Sport, MKZ 3.0, Continental, and Edge Sport have 345mm rotors. The rears are 300mm but I,ve seen some listed as 316mm and all so far are solid, have yet to see anything vented on the rear. BE nice to find a Edge Sport with vented rotors, I could do a upgrade to the rears.

Reactions: Shawnski
1 - 13 of 13 Posts