Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 2017 Fusion Sport delivered today. I've spend the last year and a half or so selling Honda's and Mazda's primarily but will be switching jobs shortly and moving to California (from Michigan). Considered a bunch of different sedans but the sport always caught my eye for its combination of power, features and price point for everything you get. The vehicle has about every option I think I could find on the Fusion, 401A, moonroof, cooled seats, adaptive cruise, driver assist, etc.
In terms of mods...
Already ordered:
GFB DV+, emblem overlays, black wheel caps, aFE air filter

In the next couple of weeks:
Front window tint (already has rear), vinyl wrap chrome ?, unleashed tune

Down the road potentially:
Lowering springs, spacers ? or maybe just new wheels. Will be driving lots of miles for work so not sure if I want to run garageline spacers, but I do love the look.

Let me know what else should be added! I've poked around on here for months and I'm excited to finally join.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Welcome. I have the 401A also. It's nice to have everything. You'll find it a good choice for eating up miles - a really good granola turismo.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have the 401A as well, and the same options, but not the adaptive cruise control. Most of the dealers optioned their Fusion Sports about the same.

The diverter valve doesn't really do anything extra, what it tries to achieve can be done with a tune.
The aFE air filter isn't needed nor does it provide a performance benefit. I did not like the lackluster quality of the afe filter seals compared to the stock paper air filters. Fun fact, our stock Fusion air filters are OEM-equipped on the Ford GT. The Ford GT uses one of these air filters per turbo, which makes sense given each of their turbos flows about the same amount of air as both our turbos combined when both are fully maxed out.

In terms of performance upgrades, the stock turbos really are the restriction. The stock intercooler could be improved massively as well. But interesting to note is that even with the massively insane charge air temps at the track on the Fusion Sport (90F to 120F over ambient) with the stock intercooler, the turbos are flowing consistent air mass versus my Taurus SHO which seemed to intercool better, but the SHO turbos had trouble keeping the same air mass flow when at the track vs cold. But the SHO ran 12.4 @ 110.x all day long at the track even with back to back passes, so the results speak for themselves.

·
Registered
986 Posts
But is it in the stock tunes we get? Most newbs don't know you do your own tunes and
that I'm sure you do things we'all don't get.
The stock tune does have settings for the diverter valve that you can tweak if you get an aftermarket tune....

However, it's in my honest opinion the aftermarket diverter valves are not worth the upgrade. It's sole theoretical purpose is to slow/prevent leakage of "boost" during certain driving conditions but at sustained WOT (like drag racing) it doesn't really do anything. These aftermarket diverter valves were a decent idea when the stock valves were vacuum diaphragms, but even then many went back to stock because the aftermarket units required periodic lubrication or they'd stick. Bottom line, not worth the hassle on the Fusion Sport or the 2.7/3.0 EcoBoost in general.

Plus, when you install the GFB you have a high chance of destroying your stock valve which is something like $102+ to replace.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I tried the VTA/chairfoot mod briefly on my SHO to see what the hoopla was about, and don't recommend it. It's kind of silly and has no real performance gain. If anything it allows for debris/water to potentially enter in a limited scenario. Not worth the hassle. When I ran the K&N ram air intake on my Cobalt SS Turbo, letting off the throttle would cause the "whoosh" sound, primarily because the diverter valve was right by the ram air intake. It caused everyone and their brother driving a WRX/Evo to try and race me on the street. I was glad to go back to stock and stop that sound. The GFB or other diverter valves are not installed for the sound, it's mainly to "fix" a problem that doesn't really exist.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just got my 2017 Fusion Sport delivered today. I've spend the last year and a half or so selling Honda's and Mazda's primarily but will be switching jobs shortly and moving to California (from Michigan). Considered a bunch of different sedans but the sport always caught my eye for its combination of power, features and price point for everything you get. The vehicle has about every option I think I could find on the Fusion, 401A, moonroof, cooled seats, adaptive cruise, driver assist, etc.
In terms of mods...
Already ordered:
GFB DV+, emblem overlays, black wheel caps, aFE air filter

In the next couple of weeks:
Front window tint (already has rear), vinyl wrap chrome ?, unleashed tune

Down the road potentially:
Lowering springs, spacers ? or maybe just new wheels. Will be driving lots of miles for work so not sure if I want to run garageline spacers, but I do love the look.

Let me know what else should be added! I've poked around on here for months and I'm excited to finally join.

Cover up all that chrome trim with 3M gloss black. Its not for everyone but I'd use the same wrap on the roof, spoiler and side mirrors. I got my emblem overlays from Boca Decals they work perfect.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Cover up all that chrome trim with 3M gloss black. Its not for everyone but I'd use the same wrap on the roof, spoiler and side mirrors. I got my emblem overlays from Boca Decals they work perfect.
My rear trunk chrome started to bubble and peel. But I don't find the chrome to be bad for the Fusion Sport. Now on the new 2020 Explorer ST, the factory blacked out trim DOES work well. The non-ST chrome makes it look goofy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Planning on doing the gloss black vinyl at some point. I was surprised when I went to my window tint guy he was going to charge me a lot more than I expected to get the wrapping done professionally. I did get my decals from boca as well, looking forward to getting those in and on.

·
Registered
986 Posts
You got an unleashed tune to start with, yes. Does he tweak for that in the tune you first got?
Nope, never bothered with Unleashed or LMS or any of the other major vendors/tuners. I've been tuning Fords since 2003 and remember when Torrie was still selling parts online. EcoBoost was different and I worked with some other DIY tuners to get started as the online Ford tuning community is generally very tight lipped on everything (in stark contrast to GM, VW/Audi, etc...)

Honestly I don't recommend even bothering with the aftermarket diverter or the tuning of the diverter. There's no quantitative difference, from my own testing, and from others that have datalogged with/without the GFB.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Nope, never bothered with Unleashed or LMS or any of the other major vendors/tuners. I've been tuning Fords since 2003 and remember when Torrie was still selling parts online. EcoBoost was different and I worked with some other DIY tuners to get started as the online Ford tuning community is generally very tight lipped on everything (in stark contrast to GM, VW/Audi, etc...)

Honestly I don't recommend even bothering with the aftermarket diverter or the tuning of the diverter. There's no quantitative difference, from my own testing, and from others that have datalogged with/without the GFB.
Thanks for the clarification. Would be cool to see what the differences are between yours and Torrie's.

·
Registered
808 Posts

Besides the HP tuners website/forum, is there another better source?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
986 Posts
Besides the HP tuners website/forum, is there another better source?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
SCT got sold to another company or something awhile ago, so their forums have become trash last I checked about 2-3 years ago. I have SCT software/hardware but HPTuners has started to dominate the EcoBoost scene. Their Ford engineering team is usually the first to tackle new platforms as soon as they come out.

Cobb is another I've heard about with mixed reviews. HPTuners has a tendency not to define every parameter available, and so I was playing a game of test/fix/test or tune/test/tune trying to figure out why it wouldn't do something, while tracking down potential parameters that were not yet defined. Then I'd hear back weeks later on whether it was available or implemented. For the longest time, my SHO would not run higher boost levels in Sport mode until I reported this to them and they found that there was an entirely different driver demand table in Sport mode. That kind of thing. The Fusion Sport was a good example as well.

EcoBoost tuning in the very simplest terms: Raise torque limiters, increase torque demand, advance spark, and increase boost limits. The EcoBoost ECU is much like other GTDI/Bosch systems... you request a certain amount of torque, and the ECU tries to match that by opening the throttle body, and allowing the turbo to spool up... until it starts hitting certain limiters (boost, torque, etc...)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts