Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I'm new to the forum and (almost) new to Fusion Sport. Mine is on the way, hopefully will pickup this week.

One thing I can't seem to find an answer on is whether the car / Sync 3 supports setting up a WiFi hotspot so my kids could use the internet on longer car rides.

I found the following statements on this page: owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/sync-3/sync-connect/sync-connect.html

A powerful way to connect to your vehicle—remotely

SYNC® Connect* allows Ford owners to stay connected to their vehicles in a way they’ve never been able to before. This built-in technology—powered by a 4G LTE modem and the AT&T network**—connects owners to their vehicles from virtually anywhere—through FordPass® on their smartphones.

And also found this press release from January '17: media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2017/01/04/new-high-speed-wi-fi-hotspot-with-ford-sync-connect.html

Does anyone know if the Fusion already supports this or will support this? The press release indicates new HW is included in '18 vehicles but there is nothing new indicated on the '18 Fusion order guide.

Just wondering. This site is a great resource already!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi Steve,

Not yet. Not sure if the 17' model with Sync 3 and Sync connect will even support it. The 18' model is on track to however.

IMHO, Wifi hotspot in cars are like stand alone GPS's nowadays; almost obsolete. Most if not all cell phone plans include wifi tethering at no extra charge.

There's a chance if you have AT&T as your cell phone provider (the provider for Sync Connect services), you could possibly add the car to your plan when it does come out, but not sure what the chances of that even are. Regardless, would cost extra per month to add a device to your plan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. That's kinda what I figured but since the ford site made mention of a 4G modem I thought I'd ask.

Picking up my Sport tomorrow!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts