Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sport with over 1000 miles runs @ Irwindale Drag strip with K & N filter

Ran 1.957 60', 8.916 @ 77.56 MPH.
Temps low 80's, Sport Mode, Auto shift (no paddles)

That equates to 13.939/96.174

1/4 Mile to/from 1/8 Mile Conversion Calculator

Best MPH without K & N was 75.37.

No longer a question if any of them were a fluke. So far we have

[email protected]
[email protected] 97 with 93 gas
and an approx [email protected] 96.174 based on 1/8th.

I guess if there is a break in mileage, it is not 1000

·
Registered
331 Posts
I sent an email off to a local AWD dyno shop to see if they're willing to work with some test time on the FuSpo with me.

Something has to be off somewhere.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm with DaveE on this one. I was also looking for a K&N filter as well. Is it the same as the one out of the Edge Sport? I know the F-150 looks completely different. The edge looks like it would be a lot more comparable?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Coming from the turbo-diesel world (specifically the VW 4-bangers), the general consensus was that a turbocharged engine would pull all of the air it required without using a "high flow" air filter. The only reason to purchase a higher-flow filter, was if you were running so much boost that it would literally implode the filter. Basically, since the turbochargers physically forced more air through the air filter, so long as you're making the correct boost, there's no need for any higher airflow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
K&N filters are oil wetted and as they are used their ability to filter increases, which means they gradually reduce their CFM rating. The major problem with oil wetted filters is contamination of the MAF sensor and increased deposits on the throttle body valve seat. If you keep your throttle body clean and regularly check your MAF sensor, you will probably be okay. Still a high quality, low resistance dry element filter is the better choice overall.

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
331 Posts
Guys! I may have an extra AFE Dry Filter coming if anyone is interested. I first ordered one from Auto Anything. They sent me an email that it was out of stock until 09/02. So, I sent a request to cancel and found one somewhere. else. Then, last night, AA wrote me and told me they couldn't cancel because it shipped already. What a bunch of nimrods. Anyway, I am trying to cancel the second one but I may not be able to. As a favor to the community and to get rid of it, I will do a good deal on it if the second one does show up.
If it does show up, and it's a decent price, I'll take it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Coming from turbo volvos I would recommend going with dry filters. Alot of people with S60R/V70Rs had MAF/ running issues with K&N filters.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
If you could loosen the torque management leash about 15% in 1st gear it would make a big difference while still providing plenty of tranny protection. I'd bet a half second just by reducing the effect of TM. I'd bet another half second from an aggressive tune only, and another half with some bolt-ons. A tune will take this car a LONG way, and I think it's capable of mid 12s. My goal is low 13s with a good sound. I'll be doing some simple cheap cat back exhaust, AFE Pro 5r filter, and tuner. Undecided between LMS and SCT.

Am I close in summarizing LMS as the windows and SCT as the Linux of tuners?

·
Registered
724 Posts

[email protected]

Were those my numbers at Irwindale you quoted I put up in the other forum?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am not an engineer of motors, Turbo's, SC, ect but I can tell you that more resistance in the airflow stream, requires more energy to move the air. Whether there is a turbo, supercharger or naturally aspirated.
I agree that a high quality low resistance filter is the best thing to use for any application.
I do believe that K&N filters as well as other similar filters flow the air more freely than nearly all paper filters.
Less restrictive of air flow = less work the engine has to do to produce the power (turbo & SC included) = more power available to move the vehicle.

As far as the oil being deposited on the sensors and such, yes it can happen but that is generally when the owner has cleaned the filter, used too much oil and the filter is over-saturated.
I have ran a K&N on a SC 3.8 Buick Regal GS for 200K+ miles had to clean the MAF once at about 160K or so.
I have also ran one on a 6.0L Chev 1500HD for about 130K miles, have not had to clean the MAF yet.
The 'only' reason I do not have one on a 13' fusion 2.0 is that I have the dealer maintenance program, not sure I will do that again...

I don't buy the whole argument that the oiled filters void your warranty either. Especially when many dealerships sell these types of filters in the accessory shop around the corner from Service... At least they did a few months ago.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'll be doing Livernois. I already have a MyCal and I believe they will safely wring out all there is with their tunes, short of a dynotune. I hope they do a T Stat. EB's run hot and a 160 helps a lot (the tune for it will keep the fans on more often). Later, maybe DP's and IC.
What temp T stat do the 2.7s have and what temps do they run?

·
Registered
724 Posts

[email protected]

I'm pretty sure the Irwindale numbers are mine from the other forum. Just to add a little info I'm in California. So, the max octane we have is 91.

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
158 Posts
These are all solid times. I'm personally more interested in the 5-60. When will we finally get an instrumented test of this car?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Incidentally, I did send a message to Ford's Customer Relationship Center explaining the consensus view in this forum about torque limiting, etc. on the Fusion Sport, and asked if perhaps they were aware of this and working on an ECU flash. Obviously there isn't much chance of this but I figured it couldn't hurt to send something through official channels. Of course, I received a boiler plate response saying that my next step should be to make an appointment with an authorized dealer to have the problem examined.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts